Mods effect on collectability?

IDGT500

Established Member
Im picking up a GT500 and already thinking about what mods i want to do but at the same time I plan to keep this car forever if possible but in case I do ever sell it down the road as a "collectors car" mods would have a negative effect on the car, right?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
These won't be collectors so I wouldn't sweat it...you should buy a '00 Cobra R is you want something that may hold value since they only made 300 of them. Not thousands upon thousands like the GT500. If you are really concerned, just keep the stock parts and don't do any welding or drilling. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you will have something worth more than you paid is 20 years.

LEESTOYSTANG

Established Member
To be honest as far as a collectors car goes I wouldn't keep my hopes up.. Unless you plan on keeping it for the next 30 years or more I would do what you want to the car and not worry about what mods are going to have a negative impact. I purchased the car thinking one day it would be worth something but to be honest the more I got to thinking the more I got to modding. I have spent a ton of $$$ on my car on mods and I still have it as a weekend car only. I would not really worry about having this car as a collectors car unless like I said previously you intend to put it in your garage and never drive it. If you want a Shelby as a collectors car purchase a KR that way you can rest assure that they are going to be a low production run. This is all just my $.02

IDGT500

Established Member
Well I do want to keep it for that long I dont intend on selling it but i think I will only do mods that I can replace back with the original part atleast for now. I actually originally wanted to possible put the KB mammoth on it but this will be for the most part a DD for me for the next few years so it will be getting about 10k miles a year and I assum that would possibly wear down on the engine life?

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
high miles will be worse on resale than anything else. this is not a collectors car unless you have one 30 years from now with 92 miles on it. drive it and enjoy it, garage queen ftl!

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
this will be for the most part a DD for me for the next few years so it will be getting about 10k miles a year and I assum that would possibly wear down on the engine life?

:lol:

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
You wont live long enough for it to be collectable in your lifetime, so mod it how YOU want and enjoy it while you can!

Blaine

Established Member
Actually if you bought the GT500 with under 10 miles still factory wrapped.. put it in an AIR TIGHT bubble storage garage. Locked the garage and threw away the key... in about 20 years....

A super mint... factory wrapped.. 8 miles on the odometer.. GT500.. 20 year old GT500 would sell for OVER six figures... easy. Other than doing this... well your gonna lose money.

Even now.. image just a 1993 Cobra. 8 miles.. still with factory wrapping.. Air tight storage its whole life at an Auction. wow.. 100K easy.

que4dog

Established Member
1. Drive it
2. Mod it
3. Enjoy it
4. Keep repeating step 1,2 and 3.

I have a friend with a Lexus (Garage Queen). Trying to keep the mileage low hoping for big dollars later. All he did was not enjoy a great car in it's prime and now find that he has an old Lexus with low mileage. The newer ones are much more stunning. Now when he sells it, the buyer will end up with a great deal on a low mileage Lexus.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Man, if you are going to be putting 10k a year on it collectibility is the last thing I'd be thinking about.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
high miles will be worse on resale than anything else. this is not a collectors car unless you have one 30 years from now with 92 miles on it. drive it and enjoy it, garage queen ftl!

DITTO there are already cars that went straight from the showroom to the storage units and there will always be one better if you plan to drive it at all.

I got my car to enjoy. I wont go to crazy right now as far as track mods but am having a great time so far and its just 3 months old.

Taking it to SGMP for some quarter runs this Saturday.
Gota base line it at some point.

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
DITTO there are already cars that went straight from the showroom to the storage units and there will always be one better if you plan to drive it at all.

I got my car to enjoy. I wont go to crazy right now as far as track mods but am having a great time so far and its just 3 months old.

Taking it to SGMP for some quarter runs this Saturday.
Gota base line it at some point.

hear ya, will see old Mr.Track next month. Miss that X-Mas tree:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread