Modifying an Explorer aluminum cover to fit any 8.8

GRABRRR

Established Member
Very nice write up and details tob. :)

I have a question for you on the friction modifier. Blayne told me the stock differential required 4 oz of modifier and that will increase to about 5.344 with this cover on a GT500. This is in addition to the 3 quarts of Motocraft SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant.

The difference is 1.34 oz compared to your quanity.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I can't wait to order one for my Fox. I think I will put it on my mill to make sure I have plenty of room for my Panhard bar.

68fastback

Need DOHC Alloy Big Block
Established Member
Very cool mod!! Looks great, and I like how you sanded up the ribs and edge to give a consistent look.

Some things I noticed...

If you look at the bottom and 3rd from the bottom pics in post #1, the fill-holes appear to be higher up on the '07 Explorer cover, so I was wondering if that's where the extra capacity came from.

Then I wondered, what does a higher level do in terms of lubricant churn/foaming, etc and how does the '07 cover level compare to the KR level since, if the difference matters, the KR level might be the more appropriate level.

Dunno if it matters, but typically a higher level causes more churn/foaming and robs a bit more power, but might have cooling benefits too (dunno) or foaming might negate that (dunno).

Just thought I'd mention so anyone so inclined can measure.

I was thinking that on smaller ring-gears like on the Explorer with 3.27s the higher fill might be required, but on the larger diameter higher ratios, maybe a lower level is more important.

Alternatively, Explorers come with open and limited-slip diffs, so was wondering if the higher/lower level is to properly lube the LS clutch-pack. So maybe a fill-hole height comparo to both the KR and the stock GT500 stamped cover (and/or FRPP cover) might be a good thing to try.

If all of those LS diff covers have the same fill hole height and are all lower than than the Explorer cover fill, might be good to drain out that extra 1/4-3/8" (just visually estimating) of lube since there's very likely a real engineering reason then for the difference.

At least that's what I'm thinking.

:shrug:

-Dan

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Dan, I made mention of the difference in fill plug elevations here in the original thread that Duane started. As to proper fill level, I showed that just a few posts up. Neither the early or late Explorer/Mountaineer cover fill plug meets the elevation as dictated by the front housing fill plug.

And as to ring gear diameters being different, they should all be 8.8" regardless of ratio. Just the tooth count on either the ring or pinion changes with ratio.

The fill height will be the same regardless of the cover used, be it stamped steel/aluminum, or cast aluminum as used here.

Tob

68fastback

Established Member
Dan, I made mention of the difference in fill plug elevations here in the original thread that Duane started. As to proper fill level, I showed that just a few posts up. Neither the early or late Explorer/Mountaineer cover fill plug meets the elevation as dictated by the front housing fill plug.

And as to ring gear diameters being different, they should all be 8.8" regardless of ratio. Just the tooth count on either the ring or pinion changes with ratio.

The fill height will be the same regardless of the cover used, be it stamped steel/aluminum, or cast aluminum as used here.

Tob

Tob, I didn't notice anything on determining the correct level ...is it correct level the higher (Explorer) or lower (other cover) fluid level.

Good point on the diameter -- makes sense. (I do recall some time ago FRPP cautioning that some ratios won't clear certain covers (don't remember which), but I think that was only the 4.56s (not sure), so not an issue.)

It sure looks great!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks again, Dan.

The correct level, regardless of cover, is dictated by the axle housing itself. The fill plug on any cover I've used, be it the old SVO, new 'short' FRPP, old/new Explorer, never seem to match the plug at the front of the cast housing on an 8.8" housing. Close, but not the same.

Sid, I'll get with the program - pronto!

Tob

68fastback

Established Member
Thanks again, Dan.

The correct level, regardless of cover, is dictated by the axle housing itself. The fill plug on any cover I've used, be it the old SVO, new 'short' FRPP, old/new Explorer, never seem to match the plug at the front of the cast housing on an 8.8" housing. Close, but not the same.

Sid, I'll get with the program - pronto!

Tob

Ah, I think I understand now... use the cover-plug at the bottom to drain, but use the plug in the diff housing itself for proper level. Thanks, Tob.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
well I started modding mine today and have gone and painted it ceramic red caliper paint so it will hold up to the heat and cleaners.
Coverbefore140.jpg

coverred001.jpg

Last edited:

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
I figured it would help in the cooling by allowing more heat transfer. Also its straight across so the clearance isn't the main issue. I do like the look of the sanded edge and will be doing that as well as a little clean up. All in all a cool easy mod to help things out.

Installing a set of 3.73 in a couple weeks as well as the cover and the KR reservoir.
Also doing a few other mods underneath while I have it up in the air on the lift. Removing the cats to free up a few ponies with a OR-H and I am looking at the Roush mid exhaust or a Magnapack option. I have the Magnaflow now. New Afco with spal fan starts Monday with a remote switch for race day use.

Last edited:

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Well got it in this weekend.

Pay no attention to the ugly rusty rear.

0 004.jpg

0 005.jpg

0 006.jpg

It took about 5-6 pints or about 2.5 quarts to fill it up.
According to specs it takes about 3 pints with a stock rear cover.

And now I have 3 magnets to hold the fine stuff out of the fluid. Also visible is the Shelby catch can.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I picked up the CS reservoir as well. I was surprised at how poorly fabricated it was and the fact that it appeared to have been bathed in shop dust immediately prior to packaging.

Nice work on the cover.

Tob

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Looks like those ribbed covers that were "snuck" from the 2011 GT500/GT axle cover prototype trash bin only to show up on eBay were indeed, 2011 pieces. The covers are now coming down the pike as evidenced by a 2011 model as shown below.

ry%3D480

On edit...

These are the shots that were used (briefly) on eBay before Ford demanded they be returned...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Here's how it all went down...

[ame="http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1187103"]Has anyone seen this before.... - Corral Forums[/ame]

Anyway, they are now available as service part# BR3Z-4033-A

Tob

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread