Modifying an Explorer aluminum cover to fit any 8.8

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I figured I'd do a write up to show how easy it is to modify the inexpensive IRS Explorer/Mountaineer rear axle cover so that it can be used on most any solid axle 8.8" rear. That would allow it to be used in a Fox, S95, New Edge, or even an '05 GT and up or '07 and newer GT500. I have done this previously, to an '01 Explorer cover, and found it to be a rather simple mod.

What got me going again was a gentleman that posted shots of a similar cover on his GT500KR. I could tell right away that the cover looked like an Explorer unit that had been modified, much in the way I did mine. After tracking down the correct part, I was able to match that cover in about an hour using a couple of power tools. I used:

- Sawzall, with two different types of blades. I used a general rough in blade (~7" long) to make the majority of each cut. I then finished each cut with a Bi-Metal blade in a similar length.

- A generic hand held belt sander. I think the belt was 90 grit and it worked well for a quick clean up of most any cut.

- Beyond that, I only used a couple of large clamps to hold the cover down while I cut and sanded it.

The part number from Ford
ry%3D480

Cover on left is the previously modified '01 cover. Cover on right is the '07 cover I just picked up
ry%3D480

The nice thing about this cover is that it comes complete with bungs and magnetic plugs for both draining and a filling
ry%3D480

In addition, there is a machined hole at the upper right hand corner (2 to 3 o'clock) for the vent that the Explorer uses. You could either plug this, use a vent, or use it as a return from a catch can, etc.
ry%3D480

Another neat feature is that this cover uses a machined groove that works to capture rtv sealant inside it and stops gear lube from being able to leak. Being a deeper cover than stock, it also increases fluid capacity.
ry%3D480

That said, I started the modification process by simply clamping the cover down to a plank on a couple of horses. I then made a quick outline of my intended cut line for the ear removal on each side.
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The rough-in blade makes a quick slice through the aluminum
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The other ear
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I then laid out some quick reference marks to cut a taper to the now squared-off ribs
ry%3D480

The pie shaped slices come off rather quickly
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The other side
ry%3D480

The cuts may look a bit rough on close examination, but not to worry. The belt sander cleans everything up just fine. Here's one side after only thirty seconds of sanding
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Here are the cuts from the other side
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Forty-five seconds of belt sanding later...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

What it now looks like, sans ears, from the other side
ry%3D480

That pretty much matches what was done to the cover that was installed on some GT500KR models. Since I'm a bit anal, I spent a few minutes cleaning of the casting parting line around the circumference of the gasket flange. I simply propped up the cover on its side and belted away...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

To recap...
ry%3D480

It turned out similar to my previous work on the older cover
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Now get out there and start cutting!

Tob

On edit... note that Steve from Tousley has an even better price than what I paid. This ends up costing ~1/4 of the price of an aftermarket cover, and offers much more panhard bar clearance. It obviously doesn't have the load bolts that the FRPP unit does but I wanted the extra room due to my larger diameter Maximum Motorsports panhard bar and I'm not a fan of the relocation brackets that a few vendors sell.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks again, Duane. I rather enjoyed this one. Thanks to you for the motivation!

BTW, I also ordered the correct Explorer bolts for this cover, along with the vent (out of curiousity). I'll post up shots of that stuff when it comes in.

Tob

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Robert said:
Are the Explorer bolts needed?

Due to the increased thickness of this cover at the flange, versus the stock steel cover, I'd say yes.

Robert said:
And also should the rear end be vented or sealed?

The 8.8 axle, as installed on either the GT or the GT500 (or most trucks and previous V8 Mustang iterations), is typically vented atop the passenger side axle tube. Many have complained of puking through the breather as of late. Shelby actually installed a catch can that tied into the breather so as to allow gear lube to push into the can and then return to the axle - instead of spewing all over the place (you can purchase the catch can from Shelby).

You could use the vent hole from this cover as a vent or you could plug it as you already have a vent atop the axle tube. Or you could tie it in as a return from either a cooler or a catch can.

Tob

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Any one have a link for the catch cane, I can't seem to find it. Gears will be my next mod and I don't want her to whine.

Hissssss

Fox body lover
Established Member
Cool mod, I will be picking up one of these next time I am at the pick a part. This also gives me a reason to paint my rear diff...lol.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Robert said:
Any one have a link for the catch cane, I can't seem to find it.

I suspect that they may be currently sold out, but they don't want you to give up. I'd call them.

Tob

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Yeah It shows I don't have access or no PW.... Guess I'll have to call Monday ..

Any pics of where it would be mounted and how it would look? Lol sorry for all the questions but I've never seen a catch can on a rear end .

Users who are viewing this thread