Modified NASCAR ZL1 racing 2023 24 hour of LeMans

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Thanks for post! Audio is fantastic.

2023, this weekend June 10-11, is the 100th anniversary of LeMans. But this is the 91st race. French civil unrest and WWII caused the cancellations.

Jenson Button is a pretty cool cat.

I subscribe to the Motortrend+ stream. They list 10 different live feeds, but it's kinda confusing to follow.

IMG_6412.jpeg

Gonna run a live feed for the Cup Camaro on Motortrend+.

IMG_6411.jpeg

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Those combined with an x pipe in my opinion are the best nascar exhaust setup. I think they are running h pipes now in front of the boom tubes.
They dont even run the "boom tubes" anymore

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I was basing that off the last cars I saw which wasn’t this next gen car. I am not sure what the setup is now.
Years ago Sterling Marlin had a rral cool x pipe setup at dega iirc...sounded like no other car on track...it was a beautiful sound...car ran like MFr too

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I wonder performance wise what the closest class will be.

ZL1 practicing at LeMans

Thus far during practice sessions, it is smoking the GT class cars by multiple seconds per lap. Corning speeds are down relative to the "street car" classes, but the extra 200-250 hp helps a bit on a track that is ~85% WOT each lap. It's also 250# lighter than a nascar.

The big question is whether or not a nascar engine can last 3k miles.

Last edited:

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
No matter how close or far it is from the Nascar version regulation wise, it's damn cool to see it amongst those LMP cars.

This guy has a good channel about Nascar and a great video about the different exhausts.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Chevrolet is ready to capitalize on the ZL1 24 Hours of LeMans Camaro with a special edition production Camaro ZL1. The ZL1 Garage 56 Edition is painted Riptide Blue and features a graphics package inspired by the race car's design, including a stylized American flag on the hood bulge and roof.

56 of the ZL1 Garage 56 Edition cars will be offered later this year at a yet to be announced price, but the recently unveiled Camaro ZL1 Collector's Edition, which commemorates the end of the model's production next January, starts at $88,690.

le-mans-camaro.jpg

le-mans-camaro-2.jpg
I see

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Thus far during practice sessions, it is smoking the GT class cars by multiple seconds per lap. Corning speeds are down relative to the "street car" classes, but the extra 200-250 hp helps a bit on a track that is ~85% WOT each lap. It's also 250# lighter than a nascar.

That motor can handle it...

By the way nascar is the sanctioning body...not the car lol

blk02edge

Established Member
I'm sure the motor is fine, my question is pit strategy over the others... a 4 second/lap gap can get pretty small if they have 25min brake swaps

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I’m sure they can build an R07 and make it last. Super Lates often run an entire season on a single SB2, they setup just has to be spec’s with longevity in mind. I doubt there’s a more scienced-out race engine design than the American pushrod V8.

No matter how close or far it is from the Nascar version regulation wise, it's damn cool to see it amongst those LMP cars.

This guy has a good channel about Nascar and a great video about the different exhausts.

I met Mitchell and his girlfriend about a year ago. We tried to put a project together but our goals didn’t seem to line up with those of the project’s intended beneficiary. He and his girl are good people.

I'm sure the motor is fine, my question is pit strategy over the others... a 4 second/lap gap can get pretty small if they have 25min brake swaps

I’d be interested to know what kind of setup they are using.

Cousin "It"

Established Member
After last week's race at Gateway, we saw something with the new car us NASCAR folk haven't really seen before: exploding brake rotors from repeated thermal cycling. The super powered brake ducting that previously cooled the old car's 12.72" rotors rapidly overcooled the Next Gen's 15" front and 14" rear rotors. The old small rotors just stayed hot. This could be an issue in a 24 hour race. The car seems to be faster than anyone expected though. The French like it now, but they won't like it if holds together and really competes. I think the Hendrick built R07 will outlast any component on the car now that they are roller cam. This car seems to be under the supervision of Chad Knaus, so she'll be long legged.

Users who are viewing this thread