Modded Cobra pulls 300 RWHP on Dyno!!

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Yuuup. My car is so fast I decided to handicap myself so the guys running the dyno didn't feel too intimidated by my high numbers. I hate to answer questions about what I've done to it so I like to run with my numbers artificially low.

All you other guys out there who like to keep a low profile on what your car is capable of if you set your emergency brake to about 4 clicks it shaves off about 150 HP. It's also good for heat cycling your brakes.

I'M SUCH A DUMB A$$! Yup, I did it. After my first run (450hp, 475ftlbs) I screwed with my fuel curve-reprogrammed and hopped out to chat with the tech. I climbed in and and gave her hell for the second run. Something wasn't right. The tech thought his brake on the dyno was hanging up. After another try I looked at him and he looked like a C-130 during take off judging by the way he was waving his arms. I hopped out and looked at my rear rotors (you could comfortably read by them on a dark night). You guessed it, When I hopped out I set my e-brake out of habit and forgot to release it because I was nervous.

The good news is nothing was hurt except my pride. Credit the Brembo's, they didn't even warp.

Hey, at least I'm honest. Bring it on. I wrote this because I didn't feel bad enough beating myself up this weekend. I need other dumba$$ stories to make myself feel better (a reverse launch at a drag strip, shifting from the top of 3rd to 2nd, double stacked oil filter gaskets, smokey burnout in front of a cop etc.) Oh crap, I blew my BMW up on a rev limiter shift from 3rd to 2nd but that's it. I haven't made any other mistakes in my lifetime, really. (I feel like a retard at a Chuckie-Cheese)
:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Last edited:

mystic1

KB'd BITCH!!!!
Established Member
Nice death to your brakes. We have all done really dumb shit. Just a fact of life that you have to come to terms with. I have done dumber shit.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
Wow that must of smelled nice!

Like a semi that lost all air pressure to his trailer! It was beautiful.

I think in a few years I'll suggest that the air freshensr people add that scent to their line up. "Hmmmm, let's see, coconut, rosemary, or new car scent. Oh wait, here it is! fried-brake-pads-on-a-red-hot-rotor". Oh the memories.

m8trix00

Established Member
sorry to hear that, we all do crazy stuff when nervous,

my first car, I was 17, my girl was there, I was trying to be cool changing the oil, cranked the car up and look down on the ground

all the oil bottles still had the caps on them,

I was like #%^$

ran to turn it off, no visible damage, but my pride was really hurt

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

I had been doing mechanics with my dad for years before that, I had no excuse.... just stupidity

awesome car by the way Nuclrslug
:rockon:

torqued

Go Fast Turn Left
Established Member
I think thats why the dyno shop I go to handles all the driving ,or there would be a lot more stories.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Well at least you know you can beat 99-01 Cobras................

with your E-brake on :D

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
You probably need to change those glazed pads, and if your rotors are still good - consider yourself lucky.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, I pulled some "questionable" stunts in my time, so you certainly don't have the record (LOL!) but that is surely a new one for me. :)

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
I keep thinking about a clamped brake pad against a drilled/slotted Brembo rotor at 133mph. Remember: 45 to 133 and 133 to 0. I've had terrible dreams since then. I console myself with the wear and tear I saved Baker Engineering on their dyno brakes though. I am truly a humanitarian.

Do'h!

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
LOL! At least there's no permanent damage.

If you want stupidity, I had a '68 Chevelle convertible when I was a kid. I had about half a dozen people in the car. We were leaving a party and I started backing up in the driveway. Only thing I didn't see was that the passenger door was still open. It caught a rock and ripped forward destroying itself. Talk about feeling like an idiot!

More recently, I was with my family at Route 66 watching the off road truck races last year. One of the guys in the front row was too far forward at the starting line so he backed up a little bit. Sure enough, he forgot to put it back in first. The flag waved and he floored it... backwards. He immediately caught it but by the time he got going, he was middle of the pack. :-D

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
I've done the exact same thing. I'll cut and paste the original post from F150-online. This was originally posted by me in February of 2000:

Well...last night was my second drag racing experience in the Lightning. It was less than pleasant. And these things only happen when an audience is around.

I pulled to the light, and decided to try powerbraking...so..I got the lights staged...then tried to powerbreak, but didn't get quite enough break on and inched forward...OH GOD!! The upper set of lights turned off! I didn't know what to do. No one ever bothered telling me what to do if I went PAST staged. So I started to panic, and threw the truck in reverse, naturally thinking if I backed up just a touch, the top lights would come back on. WRONG-O!

As I was inching back, I see the lights drop, and go green!!! NO!!!!! So my natural instinct kicks in, and I floor it balls to the wall.

In the cloud of smoke that I created I heard a lot of screams from behind me, and then realized that, yep...the race was on, and I was travelling in reverse. I locked up the brakes, and threw it frantically into forward, praying to the good lord that this wasn't happening, and was all a bad dream.

I could hear ROARING applause from the spectators in the stands. Thank goodness for dark tinted windows. So...I floor it, and after spinning for a good minute and a half, I finally cross the beams, and away I go. Got a very impressive 4.01 second reaction time and apparently the clock had been ticking since the time I backed out of the beams, cuz my ET was a whopping 17.5 seconds! WOOPS!

I finally got to the end of the run, picked up my slip, and reluctantly pulled back around to the staging lanes, fully prepared for the laughter, and ridicule. It was MONDO embarrassing. The first guy to run up to my windows said, "WOW, you ran a 17.5, dragging a motorcycle along behind you! Now THAT is a fast truck! Good job buddy!" LOL! I was humiliated! but everyone there had a good sense of humor. I should have told them all, I wanted to get a running start. I just forgot to tell the light man to put his foot down in the beam until I went through. Oh well...live and learn.

After hearing the screams and hollering when I was in reverse, I saw the sign at the end of the track that said, "In trouble? Go straight, dont turn." I was tempted. I'll just sink my head in shame and embarrassment, and hopefully never do anything that boneheaded again! *blush*
Needless to say...the lowly mustang GT that I was racing toasted me. I wanted to tell him its not cuz he's faster, its cuz I'm an idiot.

How's THAT for an embarrassing story? :cryying:

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I didn't read every post and read most of the first one...if you had a pic of the car on the dyno with the red hot rotors and e-brake, that would make a perfect Priceless commercial...

good thing you figured out the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread