Mod party with my 2012 GT500

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
My original plan was to tow this to a shop and have them do it all for me, but I ended up getting stuck at home dogsitting so I decided, why not try to tackle this solo?

295DF5C5-0F80-42E3-A718-935303345E04_zpscwdynowb.jpg

I'm taking my time and stopping to rest, a lot, so I don't do serious damage to my pissed off back. Friday night I got the car as high as possible on jackstands, removed the top half of the header nuts and some other misc stuff, soaked the h-pipe nuts in WD40 and went to bed.

6C75842A-367B-4680-9760-8AC058F9FF65_zpsamkstwp2.jpg

11567E5A-A06F-4D38-8155-380DEC7F0832_zpskqprclvx.jpg

By Saturday night I had the K out, bumper off, heat exchanger out, reservoirs out, pretty much anything getting replaced that was in the way. Soaked the rest of the header nuts in WD40 and went to bed.

1088BE5E-1473-4D73-BA00-7FE77DB789B1_zpsbeebrhlg.jpg

D3A6CE04-54AA-4B60-AAE4-9E4C543E4F2E_zpssofe8utd.jpg

CFCAAB5D-3031-4C1F-8DBF-A2E2B07AA04B_zpsggo5o4fh.jpg

Sunday morning I had the factory manifolds out in 15 minutes, spent 2 hours looking for the ARP hardware the headers came with (never found them), spent another hour trying to stabilize the motor..the Harbor Freight engine support bar kept rocking forward off the strut towers; I ended up crushing a hard coolant line on the sway bar because it wouldn't cooperate, so I get to drain the entire coolant system now to fix that. Yay! Finally relocated the bolts for the engine support from the front cover (where I've always bolted it) onto the GD blower, directly under the support bar (did NOT want to do that, but with nothing holding the engine up but a jackstand under the trans I figured it was better than nothing). Got back under the car and had the driver side header up and on the studs in 15 seconds. Didn't even pull the steering linkage or a single stud. Was able to reuse all the factory hardware but one nut, on the lower front stud; the nut is too big to fit over the stud, pipe's in the way. Gotta order some smaller nuts I guess. I tried to put the passenger side on but I got caught between a random stud sticking out of the fender and the EGR tube, and after nearly dropping it on my face a couple of times I gave up as my strength pretty much gave out.

7AD3C6B5-37B6-4197-B9EB-EFB0102B59AA_zpsafuzt2y0.jpg

C928FFA8-43EE-43CC-95ED-664E97AB911D_zpsaqb7nhzl.jpg

BMR tubular K ships out today so I'm not in a HUGE rush, but I only have 4 days before I go on vacation, and a day or two when I get back, then I'm supposed to run the car at two events the same weekend. Here's hoping I can get it buttoned up this week. My bro came back last night so I'll have him help me tonight. Hopefully tonight we can get the pass side on and the starter back in. Then tomorrow we can work on the cooling system - put the new H/E in, try to fix that kinked hardline. I need to order a t-stat I guess, since I'm draining it all anyways. Might tow it to the dealer for a "flush" so I don't have to try to bleed it LOL

D3A6CE04-54AA-4B60-AAE4-9E4C543E4F2E_zpssofe8utd.jpg

C928FFA8-43EE-43CC-95ED-664E97AB911D_zpsaqb7nhzl.jpg

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Good work. I take it the car is no longer for sale?

Of course it is. Why do people keep assuming this?

I don't like selling parts. I'd rather install them and get some use out of them while the car isn't selling, than put my life on hold for a sale I don't HAVE to make. So as long as oil is down and my industry is iffy, the car is for sale as an expense I'd rather not have right now.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If you lived closer I wouldve so been down for installz party! I miss having "Wrench N Cue's" with buddies back in the day, 5-7 cars, everyone installing stuff, people working and helping eachother, then cooking awesome carne asada' How it should be.

Fat-cat

Established Member
Good start. I was at my buddies shop last week and they were doing a set in a 13 with the K in... ****en nightmare.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
nice work.

gotta love that gut wrenching feeling when things aren't going as planned. ie. lost hardware, cracked hose.

oldmodman

Established Member
Kat. You got guts. That's for sure.

Please don't reinjure your back. I'm sure you will be careful. But be really careful. Nothing worse than cold muscles from lying on a cold concrete floor.

And I know how satisfying it is to step back when you are done, fire it up, and listen to the new found power :thumbsup:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
nice work.

gotta love that gut wrenching feeling when things aren't going as planned. ie. lost hardware, cracked hose.

I need to buy another set of hardware, or source a nut that fits, or grind it down...for 1 nut that won't clear. And the hose is only sold in an assy that my local dealer wanted $190 for...I ordered it from our vendor at Autonation for $102, but just got an email saying they won't get it for 3-4 days so I won't get it till next week. This is looking more and more likely I'll miss the events.

Kat. You got guts. That's for sure.

Please don't reinjure your back. I'm sure you will be careful. But be really careful. Nothing worse than cold muscles from lying on a cold concrete floor.

And I know how satisfying it is to step back when you are done, fire it up, and listen to the new found power :thumbsup:

I'm using a creeper, so no worries about the "cold garage floor." Not that it's all that cold. However, I did manage to get my hair caught in a wheel Saturday. That was some fun maneuvering to get off it, out from under the car and into the house to find scissors with a creeper attached to my head.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I'm using a creeper, so no worries about the "cold garage floor." Not that it's all that cold. However, I did manage to get my hair caught in a wheel Saturday. That was some fun maneuvering to get off it, out from under the car and into the house to find scissors with a creeper attached to my head.
I can't stop laughing at the thought of this!
Im sorry!

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Damn Kat, tie your hair up haha! You sound just like me on mod installs, 1 part breaking for every 1 that's going in.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
real nice job, hybred :beer:

curious, did you ever get any quarter mile times with that car?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Damn Kat, tie your hair up haha! You sound just like me on mod installs, 1 part breaking for every 1 that's going in.

It WAS tied up!! It kept getting caught on random crap under the car, so I guess it got pulled out of it's knot just enough to catch the wheel. I triple tied it after that. What's funny is I can't even find where I had to hack it off.

real nice job, hybred :beer:

curious, did you ever get any quarter mile times with that car?

Unfortunately, no. I never got good tires on it, and never had the time. It's funny...I have baseline 1/4 mi times for the truck, but not dyno #s...and baseline dyno #s for the Shelby, but no track times. Oh well.

I emailed Lund Racing for a tune update, and they had one to me in under an hour. Talk about awesome service!!! Finally something went right LOL

ViciousJay

Established Member
Of course it is. Why do people keep assuming this?

I don't like selling parts. I'd rather install them and get some use out of them while the car isn't selling, than put my life on hold for a sale I don't HAVE to make. So as long as oil is down and my industry is iffy, the car is for sale as an expense I'd rather not have right now.

What do you daily drive?

Users who are viewing this thread