MMR Hurricane pump issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonliberal

Established Member
And to be clear I am not vendor bashing, it's letting others who have this painted oil pump know that they may have an oil pickup full of paint and not know it.

4VFTW

Established Member
They told me it wasn't a big deal and shouldn't hurt anything since the screen and oil filter should collect it all. That may be true, but that's not really what I want my oiling system to look like.

20141214_1221441.gif

20141214_1222071.gif
please tell me you're joking. why is the pump painted anyway?

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
nonliberal, we are certainly sorry that you have had an issue, we are glad that the engine is okay however, after this filter the oil filter would have caught any additional contamination. But, it should be mentioned that this paint can be softened by additives in fuel, e85 fuel, race gas and other chemicals. Bottom line - this is the first time we have seen this in 10+ years of selling the red Hurricane oil pumps and certainly should not be blamed on the paint used or MMR without further investigation. A simply overspray of brake cleaner could have done this! We will certainly make a change to the paint or coating if we determine that there is a problem but it is very premature at this point to say either way. We are certainly happy to replace the pump for you for no charge but as we understand it there is nothing wrong with it other than the paint that has flaked off. Again we are very sorry that you had a issue and are very glad that there was no damage regardless of what caused the paint to flake.

We just left a message on your phone again asking what we can do to help further.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
please tell me you're joking. why is the pump painted anyway?

The paint is used simply for identification and to differentiate between the different pumps that we offer. Unfortunately they cannot be anodized and powder coating is too thick on the backside which can prevent the pump from mating properly to the block. The paint is oil resistant but there are some chemicals that can break it down (as with any type of coating, paint or finish), and as we said above we will certainly change it if this is not a isolated case.

Likewise, if someone would like a unpainted version this is not a problem.

Last edited:

GreggsSVT

Established Member
I called these guys and I can't believe how independent they are. They made me feel like they were doing me a favor.
Hope you get this taken care of on there dime.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I called these guys and I can't believe how independent they are. They made me feel like they were doing me a favor.
Hope you get this taken care of on there dime.

Hi, Im sorry you had a issue with customer service, do you know the name of the sales person that helped you so that we can get to the bottom of it (if you can PM us the time and date you called - so that we can review the call) we would appreciate it. If I can do anything to help you in regards to your initial call please let me know.

Mark
MMR

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
nonliberal - I just spoke with Greg (who you spoke with on the phone earlier today), he said that you wanted MMR to pay for gaskets and help you with one of the new MMR billet lower crankshaft gears, unfortunately Greg did not have the authority to authorize that (and I assume that is why you posted this), normally a product would need to come back for inspection and he was simply following normal procedure, (my apologies), but I am happy to take care of your request in an effort to keep you happy (regardless of what caused the paint to flake), i will also replace the pump for you with an unpainted version, that way, if there is something in the oil or fuel we dont have to worry and this way we rule out ANY future issue . Call me when you have a moment or drop me a pm so that we can get this resolved for you. My apologies again and thank you for your business.

Mark
MMR

Last edited:

nonliberal

Established Member
Actually I didn't ask him to pay for gaskets or anything else. I did however express my frustration that I do have to pay for gaskets etc to get everything back together. That's when He offered to maybe help with a discount. I thought okay at least doing an upgrade of some sort would help make pulling it apart easier to swallow, so I mentioned the timing gear. That's when he offered a $20 discount and that didn't sound like much of a help to me. I did try to PM you first since you are always the man I talk to, but your PM box has been full for a while.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I just don't get the use of the paint either. Gotta be a simpler way it ID it for the different set up. While it may not be probably, it's certainly possible that in the automotive world, one of the many subsistences MMR mentioned could come in contact with the oil.

Also I'd ask, is there any warning on the parts to be cautious of said fluids.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Actually I didn't ask him to pay for gaskets or anything else. I did however express my frustration that I do have to pay for gaskets etc to get everything back together. That's when He offered to maybe help with a discount. I thought okay at least doing an upgrade of some sort would help make pulling it apart easier to swallow, so I mentioned the timing gear. That's when he offered a $20 discount and that didn't sound like much of a help to me. I did try to PM you first since you are always the man I talk to, but your PM box has been full for a while.

No problem and completely understood. per my prior post, get in touch with me and we can get this resolved to your satisfaction (our PM box is also now open again) . We called but were unable to get you (voice mail)

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I just don't get the use of the paint either. Gotta be a simpler way it ID it for the different set up. While it may not be probably, it's certainly possible that in the automotive world, one of the many subsistences MMR mentioned could come in contact with the oil.

Also I'd ask, is there any warning on the parts to be cautious of said fluids.

As we said, it was simply to differentiate models. The paint process is actually more costly. Input such as this however can help make a good product better (again - regardless of fault) and we will certainly look into this more to determine what caused the flaking on this particular pump.

Last edited:

nonliberal

Established Member
PM sent Mark or you can text the same number you called. I can't talk right now due to being at work. I would be happy to send you the pump and flakes out of the pick up tube if it would help.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
How about alerting his fellow mustang drivers who bought this product that they may have an issue.

We completely agree and would have done the same. At this point this appears to be a VERY isolated issue and most likely a chemical reaction with a fuel, its additives, oil or other chemical that may have come in contact with the paint. But again, you are correct, it is helpful knowledge to others and us, and at the very least will help us make this product even better.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
PM sent Mark or you can text the same number you called. I can't talk right now due to being at work. I would be happy to send you the pump and flakes out of the pick up tube if it would help.

Thank you sir, that would be just fine, i will contact you via PM to get the address on where you would like the gaskets and fresh pump sent to, and we will also get you one of the new MMR crankshaft gears as a courtesy to help out, we are interested to get the pump back for inspection if anything to make a better product as we said above. Have a great night and our apologies again for any trouble!

nonliberal

Established Member
Thank you Mark I did get your PM and I must say you exceeded my expectations. I do appreciate you getting this resolved for me.

ford20

Established Member
Mark, would you be able to expand on the paint for the product differentiation? The oil pump on the 5.0 has 5.0 written on it. Is there some special housing that you use for your Hurricane gears or is it to ensure that the correct gears are being out in the correct housing? If that is the later, wouldn't it make as much sense to mark the gears themselves when you are etching the MMR logo in them?

Newbomb Turk

Established Member
Thank you sir, that would be just fine, i will contact you via PM to get the address on where you would like the gaskets and fresh pump sent to, and we will also get you one of the new MMR crankshaft gears as a courtesy to help out, we are interested to get the pump back for inspection if anything to make a better product as we said above. Have a great night and our apologies again for any trouble!

That's what I call customer service!! It's good to know there are good people still out there willing to help in any way they can! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread