MM low profile IRS bolt question

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
The washers that come with them seem odd
1. They are not even the right size for the bolt
2. The washer is really thick and kind of defeats the purpose of the bolt

Can I get the correct size and a thinner one or are they that size for a reason?
I guess I could contact MM but wondering if anyone here might know

Please no "just grind down the stock bolt"

Thanks

LGHTEMUP

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
or an easier way take a 4inch grinder just grind the factory bolt down some and repaint it black..that is the easiest way..

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Go get a grade 8 washer at your local hardware store. They are usually gold in color.

I was going to do that but just making sure the thickness doesn't manner
and more of why wouldn't mm send the correct size to begin with

or an easier way take a 4inch grinder just grind the factory bolt down some and repaint it black..that is the easiest way..

Thanks for reading my post

TRBO VNM

My thoughts and I could be wrong, is that all their products use standard hardware and that bolt is metric, so instead of getting metric washers they just use washers that they regularly stock.

So going and getting a thinner washer should be fine. Only issue I can see is that a thinner washer could bend inward as you torq the bolt to 76ft-lb.

ajt9229

Established Member
1. The rounded bolt is thinner even with the washer and is rounded not squared like the standard bolt that came out so that if it did rub it rubs on a rounded bolt.
2. When the car is on the ground its not even really that close to the tire its when you jack it up and the suspension is at full length when it goes past the tire or unless you plan on jumping the car.
3. Just grind it flat and paint it black? like was done to mine so if you ever need to work on your IRS it makes it 3x as hard to get a bolt out with no head. lol

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Grinding the bolt doesn't address the wrong size thickness bolt issue (12mm vs. 14mm). It should clear the tire either way.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Please no "just grind down the stock bolt"

Thanks

I'm going to advise you to grind down the hex head on your OEM bolt. Why do I advise that? Because it's easy, efficient, cheap and effective. As long as you don't grind the head off too much, you will NEVER have issues removing the bolt with a six point impact socket.

If you replace the bolt with the low profile button head bolt some suppliers sell you will run into issues removing them when it comes time you need to work on your car. That teeny tiny hex is going to strip out and then you're really going to have your hands full removing them. Please don't take my word for it. Research this on any Cobra Mustang forum on the internet and read for yourself.

This information comes from a guy that been working on the Cobra IRS for more than ten years.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ajt9229

Established Member
I'm going to advise you to grind down the hex head on your OEM bolt. Why do I advise that? Because it's easy, efficient, cheap and effective. As long as you don't grind the head off too much, you will NEVER have issues removing the bolt with a six point impact socket.

If you replace the bolt with the low profile button head bolt some suppliers sell you will run into issues removing them when it comes time you need to work on your car. That teeny tiny hex is going to strip out and then you're really going to have your hands full removing them. Please don't take my word for it. Research this on any Cobra Mustang forum on the internet and read for yourself.

This information comes from a guy that been working on the Cobra IRS for more than ten years.

I'd change it like probably 95% of Cobra owners did that changed out the bolt instead of grinding it down? :shrug: I don't have the experience you do with the IRS just my .02

14mm hardware kit for IRS subframe & RLCA mounting, 1999-04

I think you can pull the top one out and replace it with the smaller lower one?

Last edited:

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member

Thanks for the advise
I already have the bolts so that's why I plan on using them
I have read everything about the topic (like everything you have good and bad reviews)
I'm not sure what way I'm going to go with still going back and forth

Sagittaria

Established Member
Been there done that. That button head bolt has way too small of a hex for the 76ft lbs of torque that location takes. And it's made of an extremely soft metal. I've stripped two of those bastards before I cut the stockers in half.. which are a much much harder material. And can hold up to repeated impact gun removals.. instead of clenching my teeth every time I pull the buttonhead hoping I didn't strip the sucker.

20120624_093529.jpg

For comparison's sake the bolt on the right is a different diameter but the but the head is the same. And as you pointed out.. the buttonhead with the washer ends up being taller than a modded bolt anyways. I was running 335s with a 3/8s spacer and didn't come close to hitting the modified bolt.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Those mm bolts scare the hell out of me, don't do it
Put a spacer, grind it, if need be, but don't put those bolts in

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I didn't have any problems removing and installing the MM bolt. Just make sure you go slow torquing and removing them. I put some 'easy grip' on the Alan head. Which is basically really fine sand and water to help fill the gaps. Or you might be able to wrap the Alan head in foil. I needed to get my IRS back in the car, so waiting on stock bolts wasn't an option as my car already had the low profile.

I also have experience in taking way over tightened hardware off without striping, because I work on aircraft where it's fairly common.

Ken6977

Established Member
I just got my bolts in the other day. Still debating on using them on seeing if someone has a grinder I could borrow.

Users who are viewing this thread