Millenial Car Guys...ahem...Car Persons

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
When the hell did subscriber count become a measure of success? Do some of these idiots realize that some people might actually look at this when it is time for a real job? (besides sticker applicator on the Fisher Price assembly line). Youtube isn't a profession. These people aren't going to retire on it and if they don't have any real skills they'll be working the same carwash with Vanilla Ice in 2 years.

I'm sorry snowflakes.

I'm sure it will. But most of these people are going on 4-5 years and subscriber numbers keep on climbing

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
When the hell did subscriber count become a measure of success? Do some of these idiots realize that some people might actually look at this when it is time for a real job? (besides sticker applicator on the Fisher Price assembly line). Youtube isn't a profession. These people aren't going to retire on it and if they don't have any real skills they'll be working the same carwash with Vanilla Ice in 2 years.

I'm sorry snowflakes.
Vanilla Ice seems to be doing very well flipping houses in Florida.

Zemedici

Established Member
Z, I'm pretty sure you're making my argument for me.

3 minute long instructional video on how to install a 3" x 3" vinyl sticker.

Maybe I'm confused as to the argument, then. There are redundancies in everything in life, and I don't understand the big deal...?

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member

I'm sorry snowflakes.

You'd be suprised how much some people making off of vlogging/blogging/etc. I mean we pay athletes, singers, actors, etc. how much for their "talents"? It's forms of entertainment, just like these youtubers are..unfortunately the world seeks to pay entertainers exponentially more than what they contribute to society. A lot of "tools" in the car scene have youtube channels with high subscribers, or instagrams with high followers..they get sponsored & paid by companies to review & push their products, etc. Not only is it a form of entertainment, but also a form of advertising & informative as well. It is what it is...this is the direction the world is going in. Honestly, some channels aren't bad, but I find there is a lot of high subscriber channels that are just plain idiotic.

bullitt1672

Established Member
27 here. While only a handful of my friends are car guys, I dont really know many people my age that fit into the millennial stereotype. I think living in small town Indiana and Kentucky has something to do with it though, where most first job is pretty hands on/blue collar. A close friend of mine who is now making very decent money being a suit and tie man, laid brick and landscaped all through high school and summers of college.

Side Note/Fun Fact: I went on a date with this girl who was a few years younger than me, while out she asked me what my instagram and snapchat handle was. I told her I don't have either, just a facebook and I'm rarely even on that. She looked at me as if I was an alien and asked, "really, do you not have it just so you can be..."different." I laughed, said no, its because I see too many people consumed by other peoples lives, by staring into a cell phone screen and that I have better things to do.....She continued to look at me like I just walked off a UFO.

Never_Enough

Established Member
It's not going away any time soon. Younger generations watch Youtube like we used to watch TV.
Eventually their dumb stunts & useless "tutorials" get stale.

I hope they have a marketable skill. If not, they are screwed when this dries up.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Side Note/Fun Fact: I went on a date with this girl who was a few years younger than me, while out she asked me what my instagram and snapchat handle was. I told her I don't have either, just a facebook and I'm rarely even on that. She looked at me as if I was an alien and asked, "really, do you not have it just so you can be..."different." I laughed, said no, its because I see too many people consumed by other peoples lives, by staring into a cell phone screen and that I have better things to do.....She continued to look at me like I just walked off a UFO.

Did you tell her that you have a SVTPERFORMANCE profile and then did you PIIHB?

Zemedici

Established Member
27 here. While only a handful of my friends are car guys, I dont really know many people my age that fit into the millennial stereotype. I think living in small town Indiana and Kentucky has something to do with it though, where most first job is pretty hands on/blue collar. A close friend of mine who is now making very decent money being a suit and tie man, laid brick and landscaped all through high school and summers of college.

From my experience girls use IG and all that shit as like an online popularity contest, reliving high school, to see who can have the most followers.

All the guys i know use it SOLELY for car shit. hahaha

Never_Enough

Established Member
From my experience girls use IG and all that shit as like an online popularity contest, reliving high school, to see who can have the most followers.

All the guys i know use it SOLELY for car shit. hahaha
About sums it up.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
To clarify:

This thread morphed into a more serious and interesting topic, but my original post was due to the enormous douche bags on YouTube with basically no contradictory examples of real car guys in the demographic.

There are advantages to being a man's man. I hope more of the generation figures it out.

There are also advantages to doing stuff instead of wasting time video logging about stuff that other people did for you.

I'm sure the Scat Pack kids attitude and knowledge influenced his treatment at the dealership.

You're making assumptions based on something you are viewing on youtube. You have no idea what those "douchebags" mechanical ability is and you fail to realize that there may be solid reasons why you might see people send their cars off for work.

Especially talking about vloggers since you brought it up, it's nearly impossible to get quality footage of what's going on while you are doing it. This is their job and their paycheck relies on getting the footage they need. As a result a lot of this stuff becomes a tax write-off for them as well.

I'm sorry snowflakes.

This is an incredibly naive statement. YouTube/Instagram/Snapchat etc. are business tools for people in the entertainment industry.

Instagram models or other accounts with 6 figure subs can make $200-500 per post. Let that sink in for a second. For what amounts to a couple minutes, maybe half an hours worth of work staging the shot, etc. you're possibly making an effective grand an hour. 1 photo per day makes you $50,000-$75,000 per year.

YouTube is the same. Superspeeders Rob claims to make about $1500-$1700 per million views. At close to 139 million views, he's made over 200,000 off of his channel and that's just based on his views alone. That doesn't account for product placement, direct advertisement, merch etc.

You may not like it or agree with it, but for some people social media can be and is a viable career path. In fact if you're good with social media, you probably have greater job security than somebody that works at a coal-fired power plant.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I think the disconnect here is most millenials think on average that they can achieve an exceptional result as mentioned above. If it is that "easy" to replicate, then the market will become saturated and no one will make a dime.

The belief of some millenials is they are going to be break out YouTube stars with over inflated senses of their talent, skills, and work ethic is laughable.

If you think any of the individuals whose videos I linked have mechanical aptitude, then I'm not sure you have the correct experience to judge.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I think the disconnect here is most millenials think on average that they can achieve an exceptional result as mentioned above. If it is that "easy" to replicate, then the market will become saturated and no one will make a dime.

The belief of some millenials is they are going to be break out YouTube stars with over inflated senses of their talent, skills, and work ethic is laughable.

If you think any of the individuals whose videos I linked have mechanical aptitude, then I'm not sure you have the correct experience to judge.

As I stated previously, having mechanical aptitude is by and large a non-issue. Some people do, other's don't. As discussed not everybody that is a car guy is a mechanic. Not every mechanic is a car guy. It's not mutually exclusive.

As far as judging mechanical ability, I don't because I know the limits of mine. I've had some successes and I've built what is in my eyes a cool old car, but I'll never claim to be on the level of a professional mechanic. I have a lot to learn when it comes to that trade. And that's my point, everyone starts somewhere and if you think you know everything, you don't.

For refernce, I took this:
DSC00239.jpg

To this:
8DCE14D2-822D-4DD0-9801-23AED19B26CF_zpswadnbzw6.jpg

While doing things like this:
99FFC7C2-568D-4981-9523-0AE3E9535C25_zpsi9bzmbsx.jpg

You're correct in that very few people actually succeed on social media, which aims to prove my point. Those that do are dedicated, talented individuals that got where they are because they kept trying, refused to give up and adapted to what needed to be done to succeed. That's business acumen 101 right there.

It's okay to have that dream. I'd rather see somebody have a dream that may not become reality over not having a dream at all. Not having any dreams or goals is how you end up working at McDonalds and protesting that you deserve $15.00 an hour.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

How is this any different then pro-sports?

We all can play basket ball or soccer. It's actually really easy. Playing on a level to that pays millions a year is not easy.

Not surprisingly, for every successful Social Media personality, there are thousands of flops.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't try if that's what you want.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
in the end, many of these guys you all 'hate' because they vlog their life on Youtube, make VERY Good money doing it.....

Look at that dude TJ Hunt, he just bought a GTR.

Jussayin. Everyone hates until they realize the potential. My boss thought video games were stupid until I told him I used to get paid to play Halo, and Pewdiepie's net worth....

I don't necessarily hate them for making money off youtube simply because I understand how ad revenue works.

Its more of the fact that most of them are absolute ****ing idiots and I don't understand how people cling to every video they make.

Ever watch vehiclevirgins? The kid had a e39 m5 through college and is now on his second lamborghini as well as daily driving a brand new S550. He's put out videos before saying he made all his money in investments when in reality he has a cushy job at his dads company.

The video that made me have less than zero respect for him was the video where he took his recently supercharged M5 to get retuned. After it was reflashed he said "I think I can see the supercharger spinning faster." This is not the kind of person anyone should be listening to for car advice!

Don't believe me? See for yourself

Or another great one, subaruwrxfan, who I've seen over on Mustang6G. He begged his subscribers for some money on gofundme which he used as a down payment on an ecoboost mustang. A year later he felt like he deserved a GT so he traded it in on a 16 Guard GT Premium. 2 weeks later a motorcyclist ran into it and destroyed the entire drivers side of the car.

This is a trend I've seen with a lot of these "self made" youtube people. They put out these videos about following your dreams and you can achieve wealth just like they did when most of them came from high income families already. Its shit, pure shit.

And don't get me started on all these buzzfeed style "10 things I hate about my six figure exotic car, you won't believe # 7!" Videos I see all of them do. Or when video thumbnails have emoji's slapped in there, talk about condescending to appeal to millennials.

So yes, I might be 25 but I'll agree with the angry old men that a majority of young car "enthusiasts" these days are ****ing retarded. Probably because they're learning it from these idiots on youtube who vlog about cars all day long and 60% of the screen is a close up of their face. As far as the young generation in general, social experiences I've had have led me to stay away from them for the most part. Maybe that is why I've grown up to be such an introvert, simply because I just hate almost everyone I have to be around in public. /endrambling

PS: Since I saw someone mention superspeedersrob, he has an account here on SVTP. I know his 00R he had for a short while came from a member on here as well from CA. Kyle from 1320 video was on here as well as the recently trending yolodouchebag. Why does it seem like SVTP has, for a long time, has been a central hub for some of the great automotive content that has blown up today? Sid, find a way to capitalize on that!

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Ever watch vehiclevirgins? The kid had a e39 m5 through college and is now on his second lamborghini as well as daily driving a brand new S550. He's put out videos before saying he made all his money in investments when in reality he has a cushy job at his dads company.

Or another great one, subaruwrxfan, who I've seen over on Mustang6G. He begged his subscribers for some money on gofundme which he used as a down payment on an ecoboost mustang. A year later he felt like he deserved a GT so he traded it in on a 16 Guard GT Premium. 2 weeks later a motorcyclist ran into it and destroyed the entire drivers side of the car.

First one is funny when the truth comes out.

Haha. I saw the video of wrxfan where he told people he had misfiring and engine codes pop up from going into heavy boost in 6th gear on that eco and apparently asked the forum why.....then he explained in the video what low speed pre ignition is. I also heard he drove it only on weekends because he said the eco is unreliable and could blow up. My god.

Blown 89

Established Member
Eventually their dumb stunts & useless "tutorials" get stale.

I hope they have a marketable skill. If not, they are screwed when this dries up.
You clearly haven't spent much time on Youtube. There is a ton of viable, professionally produced entertainment. I'm getting up there in age but it's funny watching old guys complain about all of the same things they made fun of their parents for getting wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread