Millenial Car Guys...ahem...Car Persons

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. I had an accounting and finance undergrad degrees so I just went ahead and got a MBA and certificate in data analytics to finish up my 150. I figured I might as well get something useful from it instead of just wasting money taking the easiest classes possible. Anyways, I just passed my second section this month and I will hopefully be finishing up in the next few months. I'm trying to finish the test before the test changes in April. As i'm sure you have heard, it is miserable. Best of luck to you though! If you have any questions about the test or process feel free to hit me up.
That's a good point, I've been deciding what I'm going to do to get the 150. Going to have to do summer classes for sure. Hope you pass that thing, I've been told by my professors it's a real doozy. I'll keep your info on here, thanks for the heads up and help sir! Good luck!

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
The difference is that the cars were built by the owner's hands vs being built by the manufacturers. These days, all you have to do is have money to buy the car and it's pretty much a race car right from the factory.

That being said, I am clearly not one to complain about that. I love my Hellcat. I like that I have 707hp AND a warranty.

This came about from the big 3 seeing how much revenue they were losing to aftermarket. They integrated the most popular items, cheaper due to mass production, and charge more for the cars.

Add in the fact that there are racing series that are true stock in nature, so they have to hit production numbers to compete, and now the market looks the way it does.

I love my HC too, but more than the 707 and warranty... I'm a disabled grandpa and I am not crawling under cars in my driveway anymore. LoL

Last edited:

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
25 here.

Bought my '88 Thunderbird at age 14. Me and my father restored it from top to bottom.
Now has a mild built 306" in it (my fathers old engine) with a Procharger D1 slapped on it.
Backed up by a Freddy Brown built AOD and 8.8" rear end.

Bought my '98 Viper on my 25th birthday and at this moment I've tore the front and back off the car for some restoration work.

I actually enjoy watching videos on youtube when people work on their cars when I'm low on motivation.

I'm no engineer.
I've never programmed in my life before age 20.
I taught myself how to program and now I'm an automation engineer.
Taught myself how to program structure text (PLC), VBA, C#, XML, Java, Zenon etc.

I know not a single thing about heating systems.
I'm in the progress of tuning my heating system in my house and improving it.

I can't tune a car.
Yet I'm tuning my Thunderbird myself. It's not good, but someday the tune will be good.

I am not electrical power engineer.
Yet, I have understanding on how it works and I work with it on daily basis.
No, I'm no expert. Pretty far from that.
But I can make it work, and I can make it work pretty damn good!
Same with high voltage, I have no theoretic understanding of HVAC. Yet I work with it every day (control systems for HVAC) and HVAC power generation.
A few years ago I was kicking my own ass because I never cared about school. I never got a useable degree though it looks cool on paper (airplane & helicopter technician).
Now, I don't care. I can teach it myself. I don't need no fancy school to teach me these stuff.

If other people can learn, so can I.

But in all honesty, I fear a little bit about the oil change in my Viper.
I just bought a house and there seriously is not much money left to spare and oil prices in Sweden aren't the same in Sweden as the US. Your $100 oil change is $300 here in just oil, no work included.
But that's the beauty of cars! If I can't afford to drive my Viper this summer, I just wont. I can just not drive it. Will not cost me any extra money nor work.
It's not a living creature, I can just park it how long I ever want until I can afford to drive it again! But honestly, I will not park it though.

Last edited:

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
holy shit....see i've never met these type of people you all have. I do routinely get 'hey your cars making a funny noise' from other road-goers, referring to the loud whipple I assume. I go 'thanks' and roll up my window. :D

Try having a Procharger.
"Hey, your fanbelt is loose!"

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
25 here.

Bought my '88 Thunderbird at age 14. Me and my father restored it from top to bottom.
Now has a mild built 306" in it (my fathers old engine) with a Procharger D1 slapped on it.
Backed up by a Freddy Brown built AOD and 8.8" rear end.

Bought my '98 Viper on my 25th birthday and at this moment I've tore the front and back off the car for some restoration work.

I actually enjoy watching videos on youtube when people work on their cars when I'm low on motivation.

I'm no engineer.
I've never programmed in my life before age 20.
I taught myself how to program and now I'm an automation engineer.
Taught myself how to program structure text (PLC), VBA, C#, XML, Java, Zenon etc.

I know not a single thing about heating systems.
I'm in the progress of tuning my heating system in my house and improving it.

I can't tune a car.
Yet I'm tuning my Thunderbird myself. It's not good, but someday the tune will be good.

I am not electrical power engineer.
Yet, I have understanding on how it works and I work with it on daily basis.
No, I'm no expert. Pretty far from that.
But I can make it work, and I can make it work pretty damn good!
Same with high voltage, I have no theoretic understanding of HVAC. Yet I work with it every day (control systems for HVAC) and HVAC power generation.
A few years ago I was kicking my own ass because I never cared about school. I never got a useable degree though it looks cool on paper (airplane & helicopter technician).
Now, I don't care. I can teach it myself. I don't need no fancy school to teach me these stuff.

If other people can learn, so can I.

But in all honesty, I fear a little bit about the oil change in my Viper.
I just bought a house and there seriously is not much money left to spare and oil prices in Sweden aren't the same in Sweden as the US. Your $100 oil change is $300 here in just oil, no work included.
But that's the beauty of cars! If I can't afford to drive my Viper this summer, I just wont. I can just not drive it. Will not cost me any extra money nor work.
It's not a living creature, I can just park it how long I ever want until I can afford to drive it again! But honestly, I will not park it though.

I love hearing stuff like this! Outstanding. With a can-do attitude, willingness to learn, and some self motivation and you can accomplish anything.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
I love hearing stuff like this! Outstanding. With a can-do attitude, willingness to learn, and some self motivation and you can accomplish anything.

Cheers mate!
Now, I didn't mean to sound "Perfect" as I'm pretty far from that.
My biggest disadvantage is that I'm lazy as ****.

I'm so lazy that at this moment I'm fine tuning my working program that automatically generates my code at work.
So my coding job is much easier.
And it's more fun coding a difficult automatic code generating program than actually coding the code the program does for me... :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread