Millenial Car Guys...ahem...Car Persons

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
When you say 'milennial' I assume you're talking about someone under 27-28.

I've read that "Millenial" is born 1980 or later, which means up to 36. That doesn't technically make sense to me due to the huge range. I personally believe that it's due to no one being creative enough to label the "Post-Millenials". Or maybe I just did

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I've read that "Millenial" is born 1980 or later, which means up to 36. That doesn't technically make sense to me due to the huge range. I personally believe that it's due to no one being creative enough to label the "Post-Millenials". Or maybe I just did

I definitely know some 30 year olds who fit the description of a millennial.

trxcobra

Established Member
I'm a 25 year old millenial, and I cannot stand majority of the overly-offended liberals of my generation.
I have a lot of conservative friends, but most of the folks I know from urban/suburban areas fall into the category of folks we are discussing. I live in Massachusetts so it's not really surprising. Politics aside, the car culture is depressing when it comes to the younger generation. Some would think that owning/bringing a supra to import meets would be a blast, but I literally refuse to go to any just because of the quality of people there. American/Muscle car meets are usually a different story which is nice.

I know a fair share of younger guys who work on their own cars, but we are definitely the minority!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
There aren't really any local car meets that I like going to out here. Its either mostly import/240 drifting crowd or the people just suck, even with the older crowd.

Took my dads 67 shelby to a car show once, and people were sitting on it, just shooting the shit. Can't leave anything unattended without someone screwing with it.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Car enthusiasts as a whole have a huge chip on their shoulder. Just because we like cars and use our hands to build/modify them, somehow we're better than somebody that has zero interest in cars, or lacks mechanical ability?

That saying that not everyone is a doctor or lawyer is true across the board. Not everybody is a car enthusiast or mechanically inclined. That doesn't make them bad people and it does make us inherently better.

Using mechanical ability and an affluence for cars as a barometer of an entire generation of people (and men in general in this case) is not only foolish, but it's the exact type of thinking that this community tends to rail against from the left.

As it pertains to this forum and liking/working on cars, lets not forget that these are expensive hobbies. Emphasis on hobby there. The millennial generation was told by everyone from their parents to their guidance counselors that the way to prosperity is through a college education. Working with your hands is demeaning work now and so we as a society and the generations for-bearers pushed those kids in a direction that ended up saddling them with large amounts of debt, training them for jobs that either pay very little or don't exist at all.

It's not that the millennial generation doesn't have interest in cars, it's that they can't afford it.

All you have to do is watch guys like David Patterson and see what he's doing in the community to realize that cars and hotrodding isn't over. It's just different not than what most here believe it should be.

BJCobra99

Established Member
I'm 33 and fall into the M category. In high school I put headers and cold air intake on my 88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC. Added an intercooled Procharger,3.73's, and was addicted to cars. I read so many muscle mustang mags over the decades it was an addiction.

Now I have 2 boys (12 and 9) that I plan to give my 99 cobra to.(Maybe get a terminator for the youngest in a few years.) Blinkers do not work, headlights are crappy aftermarket, but the boys will learn to fix things for themselves. Paying off my 16 Powerstroke CCLB next week. Hard work ethic means I can pay for major repairs and mods, but the basic easy stuff we all should have a basic understanding of how to fix. Maybe that is why all my friends are a decade older than me haha.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
On the radio in the DC Metro area, there are advertisements targeting Millennials with "How to Adult" schools, where they teach you how to plung toilets, change tires and check your oil, balance a checkbook, etc. Disgusting. Some dad's out there need to Man the F up and raise their kids.

I blame the Boomers.

They failed to raise their kids, plain and simple.

I've argued for a while that we need to reshape our High Schools. Senior Year should be 100% "How to Adult".

Classes on credit cards, car loans, how to pick medical insurance, basic criminal law and your legal rights. Rent, buy, lease. How to pay taxes, how to get a marriage license, what to look for when buying a house, garbage collection, living expense, how to tip waiters, interviews, how to apply for college. What about trade schools? 401k, Roth IRA, investments, retirement, social security, etc. What jobs exist besides policeman, football player, teacher, lawyer and doctor.

The final year should be geared toward making people functional members of society and embracing the fact their parents are dumb shits that didn't teach them a single thing.

Ignorance isn't stupidity. You don't know what you don't know.

Last edited:

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Agreed.... And it shocks me to know end how schools are about passing tests instead of learning how to exist and succeed in our modern world. God forbid they teach kids "whole life wealth management." It would put the credit card companies out of business. LOL

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not a millennial, but who is paying $60k for a scat pack car when you can buy a HC for that & is it really $107 for an oil change on a Challenger?!

7 quarts oil @ $9 quart
1 Mopar Filter @ $11
Dealer Labor $100hr @ 1/4hr $25

$99 + $2 environmental + $2 shop clean up + $6.93 tax = $109.93

Why do people get shocked at performance car oil changes? It's like the easiest to justify cost.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
32, not overly mechanically inclined. I can do oil changes, brakes, exhaust work, suspension, etc. Can't tear apart an engine.

I dislike this generation and part of the previous generation for many reasons.

Yes, oil changes are expensive. My Durango costs about $90 for the product and my time to change the oil. This generation is all about smart phones, updating facebook status, IG, Twitter, etc. While I am on FB, I post maybe once every 6 months with something I am proud of myself for doing, whereas, it is a job/career for others that post every day or every hour. Millennial parents are the worst too. I'd say all of them I've encountered are assholes with no morals or principals.

/Rant.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
When it comes to cars, you can blame yourself(parents) for the millennials being screwed up because the parents owned imports for the millennials entire childhood. This is because "they last longer" and "are safer" or some BS (carrying back to the 70s/80s) that has continued to carry on even to today.

Then these young people had their hand me down Civics and when they left the movie theater from seeing Fast n Furious they realized they had a race car. So now you have everyone thinking imports are cool.

Now with so many millennials living in big cities, they don't like cars because they are a) expensive to own in big cities AKA PARKING and b) they know nothing about cars as stated.

When you present your oil change argument, almost everyone, including older folks will say something along the lines of oil changes at a shop are cheaper after you buy your own oil and spend your time changing it. Which I argue you still have to use your time to drive to the oil change shop. Plus you can buy better filter and oil and know it is being done correctly yourself.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I would tend to agree with the OP. I'm 35, no kids and have friends that younger than me. I feel like I can relate to men my age and older much easier when talking cars. Honestly the old school hot rod type guys are my favorite. All the young kids these days I see think their rice burners are the best thing to ever hit the streets. Negative bowed stanced turds w/ a super loud fart can muffler, a whopping 250whp if they are lucky and a wing so big they can hardly go through a Burger King drive through. And when you call them out on it their answer is "I can't afford a fast car". Well I hate to tell them but you can afford a cool car like a fox body or even a F body Camaro V8 not a fartbox 1.8L

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
All i need to know about my dumb**** generation

62796aff0a7c340c9e4d88d8b3d1357a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
31 but don't consider myself a millenial. I enjoy making money off idiots who have no clue about cars. Have been doing it for years.

Try to help those who want to learn. The rest i just charge more.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

On a side note, my SB coupe and your SB Vert were born 5 days apart :cool:

Zemedici

Established Member
Car enthusiasts as a whole have a huge chip on their shoulder. Just because we like cars and use our hands to build/modify them, somehow we're better than somebody that has zero interest in cars, or lacks mechanical ability?

That saying that not everyone is a doctor or lawyer is true across the board. Not everybody is a car enthusiast or mechanically inclined. That doesn't make them bad people and it does make us inherently better.

Using mechanical ability and an affluence for cars as a barometer of an entire generation of people (and men in general in this case) is not only foolish, but it's the exact type of thinking that this community tends to rail against from the left.

As it pertains to this forum and liking/working on cars, lets not forget that these are expensive hobbies. Emphasis on hobby there. The millennial generation was told by everyone from their parents to their guidance counselors that the way to prosperity is through a college education. Working with your hands is demeaning work now and so we as a society and the generations for-bearers pushed those kids in a direction that ended up saddling them with large amounts of debt, training them for jobs that either pay very little or don't exist at all.

It's not that the millennial generation doesn't have interest in cars, it's that they can't afford it.

All you have to do is watch guys like David Patterson and see what he's doing in the community to realize that cars and hotrodding isn't over. It's just different not than what most here believe it should be.

fun fact : he's a regular at my shop, and a good buddy of mine. Smurrf was tuned by my shop :)

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
fun fact : he's a regular at my shop, and a good buddy of mine. Smurrf was tuned by my shop :)

I tend to notice many youtube "car people" do not do any work on their own cars yet they want us to respect them and take their advice about cars.

There are even "car people" now that just take pictures of cars.

Zemedici

Established Member
I tend to notice many youtube "car people" do not do any work on their own cars yet they want us to respect them and take their advice about cars.

There are even "car people" now that just take pictures of cars.

eh, it depends. David has done a LOT of work on his own cars, from seat covers to changing his own supercharger oil, etc. However, since he's gotten more popular on youtube, he's constantly travelling with work, etc. So therefore sometimes its just easier to drop it off on your way out of town, and then pick it up on your way back in.

However, after spending hours talking to David, he's a true car enthusiast, dont question that.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member

I watched that whole video and I feel like I just wasted 25 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

It was basically a lecture to older people to stop being judgemental and condescending to young people, by making a presentation that was judgemental and condescending to older people. Good job!

Users who are viewing this thread