Military people come here..

Monster Mach

Established Member
I am considering the military. i am not sure what branch yet. and my reasoning most will say is flawed.. but o well.. i need some experts that have experiance on the pros and cons of joining... what are they? i know death..

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Well depends on your branch, Army has long deployments which suck, especially if your married or have family, I've been deployed twice within 3 years. Navy/Marines/Air Force have shorter deployments. Navy/Air Force also have the best looking women...so it just depends what your looking for really...what do you want to get out of joining?

Monster Mach

Established Member
a life lol... got some serious issues in my life... my childhood sucked im 19 and live 6 hours away from my mom forced into it... i see my girlfriend maybe 1 time a week now.. i work 60 hours a week.. so maybe enlisting can be a better way out(yes ik its hard work) seeing a nice future for once...

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
The Army does have longer deployments which can be good or bad...good you will make good money for your age bad you are in a war zone

then the Navy they have 6 month long deployments but they are out to sea allllll the time so you might as well be deployed

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The possibility of death in the military really only happens in a very small percentage of the entire force. You don't have to worry too much about getting killed if you're a warehouse clerk... but there's always the possibility.:-D

03svtzak

Established Member
Try an look up what you want to do first. Army has a ton of jobs. plus basic i heard is sham now.......:nonono:

Marines I think, dont quote me, but what you score on the asvab they pick the job for you. what i heard.

Navy..... dont really want to be called a seamen do you?:shrug:

Airforce; if your smart enough, i would do the police job. SP? i think

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Try an look up what you want to do first. Army has a ton of jobs. plus basic i heard is sham now.......:nonono:

Marines I think, dont quote me, but what you score on the asvab they pick the job for you. what i heard.

Navy..... dont really want to be called a seamen do you?:shrug:

Airforce; if your smart enough, i would do the police job. SP? i think

Had to LOL. To become Security Forces you'll need a 33 on the general category of your ASVAB, the second lowest in the USAF. Band is the only AFSC that allows members with a lower score of 24.

Not dogging them, just saying the Air Force doesn't require much of you on paper to become a cop. I would not recommend that one unless you like to deploy a lot and want to pursue law enforcement in the future. I've known several that were picked to be SF and cross-trained into whatever they could to get out.

OP,

I would not go in open general in any branch of service unless you like playing roulette and losing. Find something that interests you and is marketable once you leave the military, this is very important especially when the job market sucks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Army does have longer deployments which can be good or bad...good you will make good money for your age bad you are in a war zone

then the Navy they have 6 month long deployments but they are out to sea allllll the time so you might as well be deployed

While it is true that most new enlistees will be deployed at sea, many get shore duty from boot camp. And unless things have changed, a portion of your 4 year enlistment will be shore based. In my case the first two years were on an aircraft carrier with deployments to the Pacific, and the last two years were with the Defense Intelligence Agency in D.C. So I recommend the Navy. ;-)

Marc

Established Member
If you decide on the AF, let me know. I am a Chief Master Sergeant (E9) with 26 years active duty experience...still active duty stationed in Japan right now. I am normally free on the weekends and I can send you my number to contact me. I have a vonage phone so its just like calling state-side.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
go air force. air force is as close to civilian as you're going to get.

and if you don't like to work, don't do anything in the maintenance field. get yourself a pussy desk job in finance or something. i have to say that to save all the maintenance guys out there. i worked with some of the guys that only picked that job because it sounded cool. they're a pain in the ass to work with. but it's funny watching them get stuck doing bitch work like draining fuel tanks. lol.

Last edited:

usmcrebel

Established Member
Do you like being abused?
Do you like being yelled at like your stupid for doing a good job?
Do you like working hard?
Do you want to be throw in the worst shit holes the army leaves behind?

if yes USMC infantry is for you!

evolve

Established Member
Do you like being abused?
Do you like being yelled at like your stupid for doing a good job?
Do you like working hard?
Do you want to be throw in the worst shit holes the army leaves behind?

if yes USMC infantry is for you!

lol.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
I think this is still true but the Army is the only one that will let you pick your actual job. The rest of them gives you categories. If im wrong or this has changed please correct. I had my reasons for joining the Army I wanted to jump out of airplanes and helos. And i lucked out and was stationed in Vicenza Italy. But my main advice to you is research what you would like to do get something that crosses over to civilian life. If i had to do it again i would probally go Airforce and get into air traffic control.

evolve

Established Member
The Navy lets you choose based on ASVAB scores. I am a cryptologist, therefore my score had to be higher to get this job. Its a competitive system that works for the most part.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
Depends on what you want to do in life. Just understand, BS comes no matter what branch you join. And because noone else has said it, Go Army!

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member

Not true. You can pick whatever job you want as long as there is need for that particular MOS in the corps and you meet the requirements (ASVAB score, background check). That being said, there's really only one MOS group that matters (03). The rest should be made the responsibility of the Navy, IMO. Marines are getting softer every day. I'd hate to see us become like the Army... :xpl:

Crazy Ray

Established Member
As some of the guys have said, you need to fine out what you would like to do when you get out. communication, aircraft repair, x-ray tech this are just a few to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread