Mike Tyson Making a Comeback

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I think alot of people do not realize that a vast majority of boxers come from the streets.
I don't know where you get this from. Anybody who doesn't understand this is an idiot. It pretty much goes without saying.
It's not like the average educated person would want to get involved in a sport where you get punched in th face for 12 rounds. So whenever you put someone who is uneducated together with ALOT of money and fame 9/10 that person is going to have problems. Thats not always the case nor is it an excuse, but it happens.
yes it happens but it does not have to happen as has been shown by many fighters that have shown class and personal responsibility.
To say Tyson was not very good in his prime is ridiculous! In his prime I would bet he would give any heavyweight champion in history PROBLEMS!
Show me one place where anyone said he was not very good in his prime ..just one. And QUOTE it don't paraphrase something into it that isn't there. While he may have given SOME in history problems I think there are some that would take him down inside of 5 rounds. there is no doubt he could hold his own against them for awhile at least.
I actually saw him at Universal studios a couple of years back and got a picture with him. He is very short in person and is very fat nowadays but still intimidating. I shook his hand and they felt like bricks! tyson could have been alot better had it not been for his legal problems and lack of focus and discipline. After awhile it seemed like he did not really want to fight anymore and only did it for the money. I would still put him at around # 9 on my list of top Heavyweights of all time. He did alot to promote the sport of boxing and make it grow. Even if he was crazy at times
Overstated a bit IMHO but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. You would rank him higher than I would.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
funny, that how i was when i read your previous post..:shrug: lol

If you are saying I am barely legal age to drink and was "still a sperm" in the 80s then you need to recheck your facts and withdraw you weak attempt at insults.

Last edited:

mpidgon

Established Member
Ali, Dempsey, Frazier, Holyfield, Lewis, chavez, hagler, and maywether to name a few

:lol: mayweather would prolly get his neck broke by a tyson hit and Im a big fan of all 145 lbs of mayweathers heavy weight frame lol

cranium

Cerebral Assassin!!
Established Member
Ali, Dempsey, Frazier, Holyfield, Lewis, chavez, hagler, and maywether to name a few

Ali, Lewis, and Holyfield i can agree with as history has proven with two of them already. Dempsey although classified as a heavyweight actually fought around 175-180lbs which is closer to cruiser weight, Tyson would have killed him! Frazier on the other hand if he got out of the first three rounds....maybe, his style would have put him right in front of Tyson. They both can punch very hard and can take a good punch, but Mike I believe is slightly faster and would have connected first.

Chavez, Hagler, and Mayweather although legandary, but not Heavyweights.

Top 10:
1. Ali
2. Lewis
3. Marciano
4. J. Louis
5. Frazier
6. Foreman
7. Holmes
8. Holyfield
9. Tyson
10. Dempsey

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
yea, your a boxing fan alright

point me one place where I said I was a boxing fan. oh wait ..I never said that now did I? I stated my opinion that tyson is a thug and then proved it. Everything else is a matter of opinion. I gave mine based on what I have see and/or remember. The fact that you and some of the others ascribe to me any sense of being an "expert" or a "fan" is your own misguided interpretations and not based in fact or on any claim of mine as to my being either.

707RIDAH

Established Member

Either you don't know shit about boxing or you misunderstood the question because half the people you mentioned are not heavyweights. I think Tyson in his prime would have K.Oed frazier and Dempsey. Ali would have outboxed him in a VERY competitive fight.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Either you don't know shit about boxing or you misunderstood the question because half the people you mentioned are not heavyweights. I think Tyson in his prime would have K.Oed frazier and Dempsey. Ali would have outboxed him in a VERY competitive fight.

see my post right above this one for my response. Again everything but him being a thug is a matter of opinion. There are a LOT of "experts" that would disagree with everyone here about whether he is the greatest or even in the top 10.

707RIDAH

Established Member
see my post right above this one for my response. Again everything but him being a thug is a matter of opinion. There are a LOT of "experts" that would disagree with everyone here about whether he is the greatest or even in the top 10.

Well since I am a boxing "expert" and I say he is an all time top 10 Heavyweight and a first ballot hall of famer. As far as him being a thug? Thats his personal life and i could care less really

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Ring Magazine rated Tyson number 68 in the list of " 80 greatest fighters of all time"

Ring Magazine's list of the 80 Best Fighters of the Last 80 Years - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just to show you how much controversy there is over this Ring lists him as number 14 on their list of "greatest heavyweights" while another guy lists him as number 4. so anyone here who is hung up on him being any certain place on their "all time heavyweights" list has about as much clue about it as I do which is really not much.

My point is that he is a thug and a brawler I think that has been shown in his history I posted earlier in the thread.

and he was a thug in the ring as well as out of it. he has not clue what the meaning of the word "sportsmanship" is, and frankly you SHOULD care about that.

Last edited:

darby

Cheaters Inc
Established Member
his placement in the history rankings might be controversial but the fact that he was one of the most if not the most intimidating in the ring I think there is no doubt..... and Im talking about the tyson before his trainer died.

707RIDAH

Established Member
Ring Magazine rated Tyson number 68 in the list of " 80 greatest fighters of all time"

Ring Magazine's list of the 80 Best Fighters of the Last 80 Years - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just to show you how much controversy there is over this Ring lists him as number 14 on their list of "greatest heavyweights" while another guy lists him as number 4. so anyone here who is hung up on him being any certain place on their "all time heavyweights" list has about as much clue about it as I do which is really not much.

My point is that he is a thug and a brawler I think that has been shown in his history I posted earlier in the thread.

and he was a thug in the ring as well as out of it. he has not clue what the meaning of the word "sportsmanship" is, and frankly you SHOULD care about that.

Alot of the supposed "greatest" fighters in history had what what many people would consider poor sportsmanship. Ali, Roberto Duran, Bernard Hopkins and Floyd mayweather jr. just to name a few. It still does not take away from their greatness inside the ring. But hey, your entitled to your opinion just like I am. I don't have to agree with you but I respect your opinion. I find it funny that the Ring magazine rated Roberto Duran higher than Sugar ray Leonard when Ray Leonard was a champion in 6 different weight classes vs Duran being champion in four. that and the fact that Leonard beat Duran twice makes it rather impractical to rank Duran higher..

Third Honk

It's OK, I'm Handsome
Established Member
Man my hands use to sweat when tyson would throw those deadly upper cuts

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYR_acwm0VQ]YouTube - punch-out nintendo nes mike tyson round 1 tko[/ame]

I figured this thread was about this...can't wait!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-GoPk3hpTo&feature=related]YouTube - Punch Out Wii first trailer[/ame]

Ray Mancini was my favorite boxer. That guy in the last round was like most fighters are in the first, he just seemed to never get tired.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Alot of the supposed "greatest" fighters in history had what what many people would consider poor sportsmanship. Ali, Roberto Duran, Bernard Hopkins and Floyd mayweather jr. just to name a few.

Yeah but the poor sportsmanship they displayed was different IMHO. I remember when ALI changed his name in the 60s and some of his fights, I think their brand of "poor sportsmanship" was in a whole different category than tysons. I don't recall any of them pushing a ref aside so they could continue to bet the snot out of their opponent after the fight was stopped. I don't recall them biting the ears or the legs of their opponents. Tyson put a whole new meaning to the word.
It still does not take away from their greatness inside the ring. But hey, your entitled to your opinion just like I am. I don't have to agree with you but I respect your opinion.
And that is kind of my point. everything in this thread is pretty much opinions of people who, while passionate in their opinions, are not experts and even the experts don't agree.
I find it funny that the Ring magazine rated Roberto Duran higher than Sugar ray Leonard when Ray Leonard was a champion in 6 different weight classes vs Duran being champion in four. that and the fact that Leonard beat Duran twice makes it rather impractical to rank Duran higher..
actually on this we are in 100% in agreement. Sugar Ray was awesome and I do agree that he should in no way be ranked lower than Duran. I watched Sugar Ray in the olympics and for some time afterwards. He was and is a class act both inside and outside the ring.

Last edited:

KsE

Established Member
Funny I would like to see how some of you would of turned out comming off the streets... Tyson was ignorant and didnt know any better and Don King really ****ed that guy up! After Rooney died it was downhill for Tyson...

And I believe Tyson was a fan of cheque drops....

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Funny I would like to see how some of you would of turned out comming off the streets...
The world is full of stories of people that came off the streets without being the thug that tyson was. You use this the same way he does as an excuse for his behavior. There is NO excuse for his behavior. yeah he had a tough life but instead of rising above it he embraced it since it would theoretically allow him to get away with the crap he did.
Tyson was ignorant and didnt know any better and Don King really ****ed that guy up! After Rooney died it was downhill for Tyson...
Tyson knew better he just CHOSE not to live better. If he didn't know better he would never have been embarrassed about his behavior. Which he said he was on more than one occasion. There is also no question that his relationship with Don King was a bad move but he needed psychological help way before that and CHOSE not to get it.
And I believe Tyson was a fan of cheque drops....
could be but again that was a choice HE made.

Users who are viewing this thread