MGW vs Barton shifters

kingnut

Established Member
There was a guy who drove there with the new tremec magnum replacement for our mt 82's and they put together a shifter that works great with his new tranny. Great people there at MGW!

that was pretty cool of them.

ScotTFO

Established Member
What happened to that poll about the shifters? I did a search and can't seem to find it. I seem to remember MGW having a pretty substantial lead, but no one was really putting down the bartons either.

kingnut

Established Member
dude above was about the only person i have heard that hated the barton. i have heard alot of guys say they didnt like the MGW.

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
When I bought my car it was supposed to be stock. So I was killing the stock shifter. Saying how bad it was and how it felt like I was going to break it. I swap out my cobra MGW for the 5.0 one and proceed to install. Upon taking the stock one out I found out that it had the two post on it. I have no experience with the barton shifter but I love my MGW. I can honestly say I have made every shift at 7500 at the track with it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Installing either isn't an issue. Its what one you think is a better fit. 60% say MGW. Although I'm going with FRPP barton for warranty sake.

A dealer will just as quickly deny a warranty claim on a car with the FRPP/Barton shifter as they will one with with any other aftermarket shifter. Still, the chances that you'd ever have this issue are extremely low.

If money is no issue MGW, if your on a budget Barton!!!

The MGW is actually a better value if you consider all that is included in the kit. The only way to get off cheap with Barton is to only buy one of the two available pieces, which by-themselves won't give a substantial improvement in shifting.

I had a Barton and hated it. I kept constantly getting locked out of 3rd. Finally bit the bullit and bought the MGW. It was worth every penny. Install wasnt hard. Also the MGW is WAY quieter than the Barton POS. And yes I called Barton several times, every time i called they had me loosen up the bolts and reposition slightly. Never helped it tho...

That really doesn't sound right. I have a feeling that the shifter was either installed improperly or defective in some way. That's definitely an odd complaint about a Barton.

Thats sort of like a fox body owner saying "holy cow, $30+k for a 5.0!" :)

In the end, you get what you pay for ;)

LOL

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
A dealer will just as quickly deny a warranty claim on a car with the FRPP/Barton shifter as they will one with any other aftermarket shifter. Still, the chances that you'd ever have this issue are extremely low.

Agreed chances are low in either case. But since FRPP warranties there own components if installed by an authorized party (Ford dealer), I would expect the affected parts to be covered under warranty one way or another. Why would this not be the case?

Zevox

Established Member
Is there a reason to pick up the two-post bracket for the Barton over the standard one? I was thinking of being cheap and just getting the Barton shifter and no bracket thing. Hard to pay for the Barton and two-post when the MGW is more parts for slightly more $$.

Also won't the only way the FRPP shifter save your warranty is if Ford installs it? If that's the case it's hard to bite the extra money for the shifter and an insane install fee from Ford.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Edited by Admin : Pot your experience here, not just a link.

^^^installed my MGW today!

Spend the money and get the MGW!!! The precision is amazing!

The "experience" WAS in the link.............sheesh.....:loser:

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Its pretty easy choice if you want the best you have to pay more, if you want to save money get the barton!!!

hand-filer

Established Member
Is there a reason to pick up the two-post bracket for the Barton over the standard one? I was thinking of being cheap and just getting the Barton shifter and no bracket thing. Hard to pay for the Barton and two-post when the MGW is more parts for slightly more $$.

Also won't the only way the FRPP shifter save your warranty is if Ford installs it? If that's the case it's hard to bite the extra money for the shifter and an insane install fee from Ford.

Well yes the reason is you get rid of the factory jelly donut mount which causes 90% of the shifting issues.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Agreed chances are low in either case. But since FRPP warranties there own components if installed by an authorized party (Ford dealer), I would expect the affected parts to be covered under warranty one way or another. Why would this not be the case?

FRPP will cover their components, but that's it. They won't cover the tranny.

Its pretty easy choice if you want the best you have to pay more, if you want to save money get the barton!!!

That's the funny thing, if you buy all the Barton parts you're right at the same price as the MGW which gives you even more parts.

robbinthehood

Established Member
Which one of these has the least amount of noise? I use mine as a dd and had a b&m on a different car that was terrible under deceleration

kingnut

Established Member
Which one of these has the least amount of noise? I use mine as a dd and had a b&m on a different car that was terrible under deceleration

Probably the MGW. But my barton really doesnt make any noise unless im shifting while cornering hard. Barton SS is by fav the best mod I have done to the car. The stock shifter feels like junk and has to much deflection.

yarbrouc

Established Member
Had an MGW in my terminator and loved it. When I order my 5.0 I'll order the MGW at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread