MGW Shifter Installed

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
I know there are a ton of MGW shifters installed with threads but I also know that everyone installs mods for different reasons. I wanted to share what my specific concerns were and if they were addressed.

Why I Did it:
I was on a business trip in Michigan and around MSU there was some ferocious construction and I hit a nasty pothole. It hasn't shifted the same since and has been "sloppy" with noticeable (1") slop while cruising. Also, reverse had been an issue lately with it needing to be completely against the console to get in reverse.

My 2-3 shifts weren't as crisp as new either.

I didn't need a shorter shifter, just a crisper one.

Installation time:
3.5 hours taking my sweet time. The main issue was that I was trying to use my phone to watch the video while I did the install. I could probably bust another one out in 1.5 hours since I've been through one.

I'd give this a 5 out of 10 - intermediate. It's not at all difficult or hard, just time consuming. I was in a worst case scenario. I only had the front jacked, no air tools, no light, working in my disaster of a garage where tools magically disappear, etc.

Things I Wish I Had Known
Don't be intimidated when you open the box. This was my first aftermarket shifter install so when I opened the box I literally said "WTF is all this stuff?". It's beautiful and a shame its underneath the car.

To keep the rubber dust boot in the sun while you're doing the install. That is easily the worst part of the install. Getting it around the shifter base was the hardest for me. I did have to crawl underneath to get the body seal on as well.

Watch the install vid a couple of times. I was trying to watch it while doing it and that slowed me up more than anything. Verizon was not cooperating.

Leave it in neutral! For some reason I was stupid and didn't and it made getting the upper base harder than it needed to be.

Keep the dust cover away from the clamshell. I know its mentioned on the video but I wasn't paying attention.

Concerns

My zip tie in the location mentioned on the video rubs on the leather shift boot. I'm going to need to reposition because I feel it may rub the boot too much.

Impressions
It tightened everything up. The slop is gone while cruising and reverse is much more positive. I think the main cause of my issues were the stock bracket bushing. It was half way out. There is a big dent on my resonator as well. I think the potholes caused this and the MGW bracket fixed this.

I have a Steed knob and collar which fit perfectly. It's kinda notchy, but I like it. There is no noticeable increase in NVH but everything feels like it should have from Day 1.

Well worth the $400 I spent.

Last edited by a moderator:

NOGI88

Established Member
Has anyone else had a problem with the dust cover being bunched up? My buddy had an mgw installed and his is jacked up lol.
metydy8u.jpg
eja8yner.jpg

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
We just installed one in my friend's '14. Let me just say that he has me convinced! Also, his boot doesn't look like that either.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
I used my factory knob and I noticed it sits slightly higher than stock. That one seems kinda like the boot is twisted a little:??: I noticed it appears to be a shorter stick as well

Just installed mine today and its awesome. I did a quick run and on my 2-3 shift the tires broke loose and I was doing a 60mph fishtail. Car always seems very controllable in sport mode. I know the abs kicks on when it goes so far out

Last edited:

NOGI88

Established Member
I'm installing one on my car today.. Hopefully it turns out a little better than his lol.

Users who are viewing this thread