Mgw gt500 shifter... Why??

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
hey guys,

well i have been getting a lot of emails from guys telling me about some people talking about the MGW shifters and had questions about it apparently due to some new shifter options out there being compared to it...So i thought i would chime in and give our little sales pitch of why the MGW unit is the best choice...

1. The shifter is a complete unit. it comes with EVERYTHING needed to get the best install. heat shields, noise reduction , billet top plate etc...

- billet top plate- the factory stamped piece in my opinion binds the shaft with the small rubber boot glued to it and we ditched it for a billet top plate complete with dynamax back liner and new mounting bolts and washers. no other shifter offers this. this alone adds about 75 dollars to the shifter cost.

- sound and heat pads. i know some people have stated that they felt these were fixing a problem that did not exist but we feel there is DEFINITELY an advantage to the sound and heat reduction in these cars, especially for those that race the car or live in extreme climates like Texas and Arizona etc,.

if you dont want them you can call and order the shifter without and save the cost of them as we do not mark them up just pass straight cost to the unit.

2. full adjustability of shift throw from 10-50 percent.

first i want to offer counterpoints to the argument that its a hassle to climb under the car and adjust the throw setting .

yes it does require getting under the car but for very good reasons....mainly...

whenever you adjust the throw and lower the linkage you MUST examine closely the clearance of the linkage and the drive shaft especially if you have an aftermarket shaft. its a tight fit and it you do not check it you could have issues.

BUT this misses the point altogether... the main reason for the adjustability is because frankly not everyone likes vanilla ice cream and most customers have unique preferences when it comes to notchy and short shifting.

in a nut shell... the SHORTER throw you have the notchier the tranny will feel. the LONGER throw the smoother. some people want the absolute shortest throw and dont give a damn about notchy but others HATE that notchy feeling and just want a nice solid shifter and could really care less about short throw. so the adjustability factor comes into play when you are INSTALLING THE SHIFTER . while you have the car up on a lift you can play with the feel and adjust it. go for a test drive , make additional adjustments to get it exactly how YOU like it. then set it and be done. you may never want to get back under there again but the option is there.

NOTE: MGW WAS RECENTLY AWARDED UTILITY PATENT US 8,132,482,B2

from the United States Patent and Trademark Office for this unique feature.

also some points to ponder...

Shelby American installs MGW shifters in ALL their turn keys supersnakes and has been doing so for over a year. Will they continue to do so.

Frankly maybe , maybe not...because we actually do NOT discount the shifter to them hardly at all because we deal direct. So other companies may sway them due to larger margins but i promise you it wont be because of superior product. We have been told directly by their techs that it IS the shifter they want !!

So in the end we offer the MOST features in the shifter for a little more than some and about the same or a little less than others.

i hope this gives you guys a little more detailed information to make an informed purchase.

regards
George Ciamillo

MGW LTD., INC. - Accessories for the Corvette, Mustang, Camaro and Viper | CNC Machined and Turned Parts.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I've always been more than happy with your shifters George. I've had them in my last two mustangs.

lawdude

Established Member
No complaints here. Product delivers. Insofar as customer service, when the dealer installed it incorrectly when they replaced my tranny, I got MGW guy on the phone who hung with us until he determined that the service tech installed the front support arms upside down.

Last edited:

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I'll never put another aftermarket shifter in my cars .. had one in my 04 cobra and my 2010 camaro .. will have one in the GT500 as well.

Crowley

Van@RevanRacing

I wish you guys offered a dealership program.

I do not offer any shifter on my website because I tell all of my customers to use your product. It is the best.

Best value and quality on the market, hands down.

Van
Revan Racing, Inc.

hey guys,

well i have been getting a lot of emails from guys telling me about some people talking about the MGW shifters and had questions about it apparently due to some new shifter options out there being compared to it...So i thought i would chime in and give our little sales pitch of why the MGW unit is the best choice...

1. The shifter is a complete unit. it comes with EVERYTHING needed to get the best install. heat shields, noise reduction , billet top plate etc...

- billet top plate- the factory stamped piece in my opinion binds the shaft with the small rubber boot glued to it and we ditched it for a billet top plate complete with dynamax back liner and new mounting bolts and washers. no other shifter offers this. this alone adds about 75 dollars to the shifter cost.

- sound and heat pads. i know some people have stated that they felt these were fixing a problem that did not exist but we feel there is DEFINITELY an advantage to the sound and heat reduction in these cars, especially for those that race the car or live in extreme climates like Texas and Arizona etc,.

if you dont want them you can call and order the shifter without and save the cost of them as we do not mark them up just pass straight cost to the unit.

2. full adjustability of shift throw from 10-50 percent.

first i want to offer counterpoints to the argument that its a hassle to climb under the car and adjust the throw setting .

yes it does require getting under the car but for very good reasons....mainly...

whenever you adjust the throw and lower the linkage you MUST examine closely the clearance of the linkage and the drive shaft especially if you have an aftermarket shaft. its a tight fit and it you do not check it you could have issues.

BUT this misses the point altogether... the main reason for the adjustability is because frankly not everyone likes vanilla ice cream and most customers have unique preferences when it comes to notchy and short shifting.

in a nut shell... the SHORTER throw you have the notchier the tranny will feel. the LONGER throw the smoother. some people want the absolute shortest throw and dont give a damn about notchy but others HATE that notchy feeling and just want a nice solid shifter and could really care less about short throw. so the adjustability factor comes into play when you are INSTALLING THE SHIFTER . while you have the car up on a lift you can play with the feel and adjust it. go for a test drive , make additional adjustments to get it exactly how YOU like it. then set it and be done. you may never want to get back under there again but the option is there.

NOTE: MGW WAS RECENTLY AWARDED UTILITY PATENT US 8,132,482,B2

from the United States Patent and Trademark Office for this unique feature.

also some points to ponder...

Shelby American installs MGW shifters in ALL their turn keys supersnakes and has been doing so for over a year. Will they continue to do so.

Frankly maybe , maybe not...because we actually do NOT discount the shifter to them hardly at all because we deal direct. So other companies may sway them due to larger margins but i promise you it wont be because of superior product. We have been told directly by their techs that it IS the shifter they want !!

So in the end we offer the MOST features in the shifter for a little more than some and about the same or a little less than others.

i hope this gives you guys a little more detailed information to make an informed purchase.

regards
George Ciamillo

MGW LTD., INC. - Accessories for the Corvette, Mustang, Camaro and Viper | CNC Machined and Turned Parts.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Got mine installed two weeks ago. Changed the driving experience completely. This along with the DSS driveshaft and Van's HE are worth their weight in gold.

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member
Got mine in the mail yesterday and I can't WAIT to put it in this weekend! :banana: The installation video you guys produced is extremely helpful :thumbsup:

On a seperate note I have to say I'm pretty dissappointed in the OEM shifter....suprised at how poor quality and clunky it is :shrug: :dw: :??: :nonono:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Kicking myself for putting in a Pro 5.0, THEN reading how great the MGW was.. Pro 5.0 works perfectly fine, and it's a LOT better than stock, but I want what the cool kids have.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Got mine in the mail yesterday and I can't WAIT to put it in this weekend! :banana: The installation video you guys produced is extremely helpful :thumbsup:

On a seperate note I have to say I'm pretty dissappointed in the OEM shifter....suprised at how poor quality and clunky it is :shrug: :dw: :??: :nonono:

I see you are a new member from Missouri. Are you going to Shelbyfest in Hermann, MO end of April? www.shelbyfest.com

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member
I see you are a new member from Missouri. Are you going to Shelbyfest in Hermann, MO end of April? www.shelbyfest.com

I'm thinking abou it! I heard about it from someone in our local mustang club and I am considering it. Only thing possibly holding me back is work....

Should we move to another forum page to continue the chat? I'm still a newb with forum etiquette....

TaraFirma

Established Member
Thank you again George for the very first 2010 GT500 shifter. I love it and have not needed to adjust it since you installed it. MGW will be all I buy for all my future stangs

..Ken

E.Marquez

Established Member
I have no idea if the poster is the M, the G, or the W in MGW.. But I do know the shifter is a work of art.... I loved it in my 05 GT Mustang, I am positive it'll go great in the GT500..... and as the box just arrived
4014d074.jpg

In 72 hours or so.... I'll know for sure....

Great product, fast service...... not much more you can ask for.

390PLUS

Established Member
I had the Steeda Tri-ax put in as MGW had not made one at the time for my '08. As soon as it was available, I switched over to it. Hands down the best option out there.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I wish you guys offered a dealership program.

I do not offer any shifter on my website because I tell all of my customers to use your product. It is the best.

Best value and quality on the market, hands down.

Van
Revan Racing, Inc.

THAT REALLY SPEAKS HIGHLY OF YOUR INTEGRITY MAN!!! i wish every tuner and perf shop had that honesty with their customers.

i really am trying to get some faster machinery and constantly looking at ways to make the shifters more economically to allow a dist level in there even if its not at the normal levels.

touch base with me sometime!!! 706-793-1770

regards
george

2Sharpie

Established Member
Definitely my next mod!! Do most people re-use their factory ball or go with the MGW ball -- and if so, anyone have a pic of their MGW Black with Silver Cobra installed on their car???

kpinco

Established Member
I have one in my 05 Saleen and had one in my 03 Cobra. Will be ordering one this week for my 11 GT500. I've tried other shifters but nothing compares to MGW! Thanks for a great product!

Users who are viewing this thread