Methanol Injection

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
So I just had my engine rebuilt due to a cracked ringland, Guys at the shop think it was a heat related issue, as prior to the engine going when i had my long tubes installed and had a retune they said my car was running hot. Well when I had the new shortblock/longblock done I had them put a bigger reservoir tank in and a high flowing coolant pump to support my afco HE with fans. My question is , will getting Methanol injection will also help lower my IAT's as well? Thanks!

Blown38

Established Member
A lot of guys don't see the IAT drop with how the IC setup is on these cars. But it should definitely be lowering it.

I like the meth for the added octane when running 93. I usually run 50/50 with water, but lately just do the -20 washer fluid cause its easy and cheap. But if you can get E85 readily that stuff is magic.

Willie

Established Member
So far, this thread is a perfect example of opinions out there that are actually untrue. I'm going to sit and watch this thread for a while before chiming in with some facts and personal experience that dispels some of the untruths that run rampant.

fullboogie

Established Member
So far, this thread is a perfect example of opinions out there that are actually untrue. I'm going to sit and watch this thread for a while before chiming in with some facts and personal experience that dispels some of the untruths that run rampant.

It's getting worse and worse on this site, Willy.

Willie

Established Member
It's getting worse and worse on this site, Willy.

Yep, apparently so.

I'm going to mention only one fact now, for starters.... Maybe more later, depending on how this goes...

1) The Grand National guys swear by methanol. You'd have to look REALLY HARD to find a GN owner that doesn't use it.. Okay, but your argument is they run turbos and we don't. Valid..! Regardless of the difference, maybe we need to open our eyes and minds and look really close that the differences to see what is really going on. Please don't call it a "band-aid".... yet. I'll leave it here for now so you guys can think about it...

I would like to see some proof of lower IATs with a PD blower that has an intercooler underneath it.

Yes, my car is proof of this very fact. I am willing to datalog and post a few screenshots here in the coming weeks.

Please note for all you guys who don't know me or what I've done. I have experimented with methanol, and also placed numerous temperature gauges along the path the air takes, from pre-TB, post-TB, between the blower and IC (don't think anyone else has done this), and below the IC (essentially IAT2). With these in place, I experimented with nozzle sizes, locations, etc.

The end result is what I use today. It's a 5-nozzle system, 4 of which are located on the lower intake plate below the IC, and the 5th post-TB.

Willie

Established Member
A lot of guys don't see the IAT drop with how the IC setup is on these cars. But it should definitely be lowering it.

It should, so why are a lot of guys not seeing this? hmmm...... There is a very simple reason and thanks to my multiple temp gauges, I know why...

I like the meth for the added octane when running 93. I usually run 50/50 with water, but lately just do the -20 washer fluid cause its easy and cheap. But if you can get E85 readily that stuff is magic.

I will state for the record right here... When comparing methanol with e85, in my mind, there is a clear winner. Others may not see it this way, but for me..... I will NEVER use e85. The cons outweigh the pros by a mile. But this is a topic for another thread which I've been involved in.....

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Guys at the shop think it was a heat related issue, as prior to the engine going when i had my long tubes installed and had a retune they said my car was running hot.

OP, can you clarify "running hot"? Engine cooling and intake air charge cooling are two separate systems and failures are not uncommon with either in these cars based on personal experience. You should verify that cooling fans and pumps and corresponding tune settings are all in working order before making any additional modifications. One can assume from your post that your IAT2 blower discharge temps were high, since you increased intercooler cooling capacity... but it's not good to assume...

Just for comparison, at normal engine operating temp on the street a full 3rd and 4th gear highway pull on a hot day will easily push my IAT2s over 130*F. At the strip with my car somewhat cooled down, 1st through 4th gear WOT in cool air will push my IAT2s to 140*F at the quarter mile. This is with a fully functional mildly modded street intercooler setup, no ice.

Willie

Established Member
Monday, I'm going to the sign shop and get a custom made 2' x 5' band-aid, and I'm gonna stick it across my roof... cause I'm proud and want everyone to know I love band-aids....

But for now, it's onwards to test my CIB sludge comp max throttle angle adder and driver demand, high and low, in my tune... laters gents!

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Yes, my car is proof of this very fact. I am willing to datalog and post a few screenshots here in the coming weeks.

Please note for all you guys who don't know me or what I've done. I have experimented with methanol, and also placed numerous temperature gauges along the path the air takes, from pre-TB, post-TB, between the blower and IC (don't think anyone else has done this), and below the IC (essentially IAT2). With these in place, I experimented with nozzle sizes, locations, etc.

The end result is what I use today. It's a 5-nozzle system, 4 of which are located on the lower intake plate below the IC, and the 5th post-TB.

Please do so. I have a meth kit sitting in the garage that Im looking to install soon. My Kenne Bell gets so heat soaked in traffic and hot weather.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
I’ve been following @nickstobias rebuild and have been researching a lot about, Heat issues, fuel (ie: how long to let it sit) and boost. I don’t have access to e85 so only things I have are a 3x tank and a vmp HE for cooling mods. Would like to know if methanol injection is worth it?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I’ve been following @nickstobias rebuild and have been researching a lot about, Heat issues, fuel (ie: how long to let it sit) and boost. I don’t have access to e85 so only things I have are a 3x tank and a vmp HE for cooling mods. Would like to know if methanol injection is worth it?
13-14 intercooler pump and a Reische 170 T-stat with a retune are great mods for you if youre having cooling issues

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member

I did get this as well I was told this helped on the IATs as well
IMG_0441.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Willie

Established Member
Here's a quick datalog from tonight. It is representative of what I see consistently, although the temp drop delta varies, depending on so many other conditions. Tonight, I ran through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I was not close to WOT but sufficiently into it to force open loop. Also, my methanol pump was running at low speed for approx. 50 percent of the time. It was night, on an open range, two lane road. So I have to be very careful of coyotes and those "invisible" black 500 pound cows. It was 105 today, but cooled down to 98 when I datalogged. My IAT2 started at 129 degrees and when I lifted at the top of third, it was 117 degrees. So the temp decreased 12 degrees while in boost. Have you seen this before? At this point, the methanol that's still in the intake tract cools the air even further, tonight another 7 degrees, then it slowly returns to 129ish....

Band-Aid.JPG

It's crucial to note that you will never see this kind of result with a one or two nozzle system. Mine was designed by yours truly after numerous attempts over many years at different configurations and different nozzle sizes.

Try to remember guys that i do not use methanol to control temp. First and foremost, it is used for knock suppression. Suppressing knock with methanol allows you to increase boost / timing and load (V.E.). The temperature drop you see is essentially, "it is what it is". I do not take credit for this info. I learned it from the Buick Grand National guys... I'd say 95 percent of intercooled GN guys run methanol, and they use 100 percent, not this 50/50 like we apparently do here..... (another point we need to examine with open eyes and an open mind).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread