Methanol Injection

Willie

Established Member
My status LED's here >> (I call it "Alky", a term that we all used to use many years ago) >>

LED Panel Driver.jpg

Willie

Established Member
And lastly, the heart of my band-aid system, the controls >>

System OFF (No green LED display) >>

PART_1534628090760_.IMG_20180818_143412.jpg

System Armed. The actual value of the green display is arbitrary. It is the gain control position. It is a number from 0.0 to 2.1 and I use it to set it consistently the same time after time.

PART_1534628113997_.IMG_20180818_143451.jpg

xxx

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Willie kills em with data. Gotta love it when someone puts in the time to test and gather date before forming an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blown38

Established Member
I like the meth too. Use it on my T Birds with A2A coolers. A lot easier setting nozzles on those. And have messed with it a little on Dad's Marauder. I've done the jets in the lower but never got much testing done and let it sit with the wrong fittings so it plugged up.

I set mine up, one nozzle between 2 cylinders. The video I took looked to have very good coverage. Think I may have modeled it after your setup Willie. My downfall was the nickle plated fittings. Misunderstood what would work with the teflon lines. And so they rusted up.

Don't think I was able to log well back then either.

meth intake.jpg

inside.jpg

Willie

Established Member
Super nice Chris!! Originally, I tried each nozzle mid-point between cylinders as you did, but I tried it here >>

05552.JPG

plumbed it, and dropped it in.... ahhh, well, maybe not. The lines interfered and it would not drop in. So I had to discard this idea. Why I did not use this idea and transfer it to the lower plate, I don't know...

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
What size nozzles are yall running?

Im about to order a 14gph nozzle to run pre-blower. It will be controlled with a progressive controller. 2psi activation and full output at 6psi is what Im thinking for settings.

Ive read that you want to go larger on the nozzle size for PD blowers. Should I go even larger since it will be progressive?

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Awesome work Willie, I plan on going with meth also but strictly for cooling so it'll be just water. Too much variables with meth and I don't trust tuners to make it work 100% of the time.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Wish I had seen that handiwork while I had my intake off. How well does this work plumbed in the inlet side of the blower.

Blown38

Established Member
I had 4 cooling mist CM5 jets in my intake. Not sure what the flow rating is. Thought they used to list that, but they have it listed as one is good for 3-400hp.

This was under a 3.4 whipple at 25psi.

Willie

Established Member
.... Too much variables with meth and I don't trust tuners to make it work 100% of the time.

You will be hard pressed to find even one tuner that will be willing to help with this. This is true today as it was many, many years ago. And I can't stress enough, this is just one reason why I decided to say, "Screw it." to the tuners and figure it out myself. If you can't trust yourself, who can you trust?

Have you ever thought to learn?

Willie

Willie

Established Member
Sometimes I'm not so sure I can trust myself LOL."

That's what she said, LOL!
All kidding aside, SCT developed my base tune in 2008. Probably one of the first non-dealers to buy it. It was my first mod. I had a good deal of experience with Chevy tuning, so that formed a basis for my GT500. I started by making minor changes and learned how to datalog... Today, I know a whole lot more than back then, but it's like anything else... It is experience that is invaluable as it will last a lifetime.

Willie

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Have you ever thought to learn?

Willie

I did, and came very close to buying the SCT software. But then I learned about the restrictions it came with from SCT, can't remember the details but I think there is a contract involved and you can't use all of the software right away.
For now, I'm not doing anything crazy with my car so its fine. But I'll think about it again when the time comes.

Willie

Established Member
Have you looked into hp Tuners? They seem to have an excellent support network, something SCT is lacking...

About two years ago, I contacted SCT and requested calibrator level, which is the top level. They gave it to me, no questions asked. I had not even taken their training at that time. I don't know if it's because I've had their software for ten years, or ??? I have since taken the training.

I'm willing to discuss what needs to be addressed in the tune to run methanol, but after years of being here, no one ever asks. I think the reason is: 1) Using methanol (without a proper tune) has resulted in either no obvious improvement, 2) No professional tuner is willing to spend time with you on this, and 3) The owner does not tune so their hands are tied.

I will never regret going this route as I have created / modified countless tunes for many cars. This includes making changes the professional tuners will never spend the time doing, the things that refine your tune to your car to the best it can be. The best $249 I ever spent on my "mods".

Willie

sleek98

Established Member
I loved the system I had on my eclipse back in the day. I tuned that car but a turbo 4 cylinder seemed easier to tune 13 years ago, Or maybe I didn’t care as much if I blew up a 700 motor.

I have since changed the entire cooling system to keep the iats low. (115 by the end of the third dyno pull in a row in 97* heat)

If I had the time to learn to tune I would throw a system on and give it a go.

TheGovernment

Established Member
Yep, apparently so.

I'm going to mention only one fact now, for starters.... Maybe more later, depending on how this goes...

1) The Grand National guys swear by methanol. You'd have to look REALLY HARD to find a GN owner that doesn't use it.. Okay, but your argument is they run turbos and we don't. Valid..! Regardless of the difference, maybe we need to open our eyes and minds and look really close that the differences to see what is really going on. Please don't call it a "band-aid".... yet. I'll leave it here for now so you guys can think about it...

I had 4 GN's over the years and was in the local GN club and the GN club of Canada. I was the only person out of 40 that had meth locally. It's may be popular on forums but not popular on actual cars. Most people that own GN's dont do anything to them. Apart from the fuel pump and a few other odds and ends, you really didn't need to do much.
The reason I went with meth? It's the cheapest way to make some more boost without knock. I was running a 6262 on my race 87 (23lbs boost) and a upgraded t49 on the others that got swapped on to various one.
I ran pure meth, it worked great but in the end, constantly filling it up, the seals going all the time on the razor kit and the smell on your clothes was enough to end up hating it lol.

Willie

Established Member
I had 4 GN's over the years and was in the local GN club and the GN club of Canada. I was the only person out of 40 that had meth locally. It's may be popular on forums but not popular on actual cars. Most people that own GN's dont do anything to them. Apart from the fuel pump and a few other odds and ends, you really didn't need to do much.
The reason I went with meth? It's the cheapest way to make some more boost without knock. I was running a 6262 on my race 87 (23lbs boost) and a upgraded t49 on the others that got swapped on to various one.
I ran pure meth, it worked great but in the end, constantly filling it up, the seals going all the time on the razor kit and the smell on your clothes was enough to end up hating it lol.

Good info. So why pure methanol?
I run the Razor kit and I've never had a seal go bad...
An FYI is in order >> Razor is Julio's username on other forums and his company is alkycontrol.com.

Willie

KEVINS

Established Member
I also used Meth inj on my GN. Stock long block, 91oct and 35psi with 100% meth.
After I sold the GN for my Mustang I installed meth kit on it and went up to 25psi and 720hp with 91oct before I had distribution issues.
Meth inj is great (still use it) but I also believe that it requires a Safeguard Knock detector for tuning an engine to make sure that there is no knock.

ks

Users who are viewing this thread