Metco or LFP Lower pulley???

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Im looking to buy a lower pulley for my 03 and I was wondering which one is a better product? I see alot of metco's in the for sale area, just trying to make the right choice...

black 10th vert

Established Member
I bought mine from lfp but it was a metco .

That's because Metco manufactures the kit for LFP, but their version doesn't say "Metco" on it. It is essentially the same, though. As for the original question, I would have to honestly say neither. If you feel you must run a lower, then do a search for the caged lower that one of our members was manufacturing a while back. He said he will likely do another run of them, as there seemed to be a lot of interest in it. He takes your stock lower with the support, and modifies it to accept a 4, or 6lb pulley. Much better choice for longevity on your crank snout, and front main bearing which can get overstressed from running aggressive pulley combos and tight belts.

Quagmire

Established Member
Yes the best choice is the cage lower. But for DD its fine for a 2/4 lb lower. Plenty of people with 80k of miles with a lower on. Usually the concern is when upgrading a blower to a 3.4 then lowers play a much larger factor.

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
I was planning on doing a 4# lower or a 6 lower pulley, wasn't aware of the front bearing damage they could cause... I already have a Steeda 2.8 upper, I was just trying to squeeze a little more out of her.. I like the LFP kit because for $400 you get the alt pulley as well...

rudycobra

Established Member
I bought mine about 1 1/2 years ago from lfp and it said metco on it . But call Brian at posi ! Great to deal with even while he's suppose to b on vacation !

black 10th vert

Established Member
This is not true. While LFP occasionally uses some Metco components in their kits, the kits are produced by LFP's own manufacturer.

Well, that may be the case now, it wasn't always that way, unless theirs was a direct copy of the Metco. Even the parts are interchangeable between the 2.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
The only proven damage to some cranks has been when they are installed incorrectly or running high boost with a 3.4 whipple. I'm pretty sure some have even hurt the crank with the oem lower running 3.4 as well. Go with metco as a choice for the lower.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I've ran a 4lb, 6lb, and an 8lb lower on my car with zero issues. Granted the car only has 8,200 miles or so but my belts are always tight. I don't worry about even if there were 10 failures (not that there have been that I know of) out of 20,000 cars.

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Well heck guess i'll have to get the money together and give you a call. sounds like you guys have a good name out there, to be honest i haven't heard of ya. I wouldn't mind sending my blower to you guys this winter, I have an accufab tb and plenum, idk how well that setup works with your porting...

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Always a good choice to go with Posi, and yes his porting is good so send him your blower for sure when you want it ported with the best results.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I have been running a 4lb LFP lower for a while..no issues. I bought the LFP kit but one of the peices were stamped METCO.

TRBO VNM

If you can't wait for the caged lower or money is an issue, then Metco. At least you know you will get it and won't have customer service issues.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I'm not following you on the caged lower?? tried searching but there are too many unrelated threads.. please explain??

There have been cases where crank snouts have sheared off due to aftermarket lower pulleys not having a cage around them for support. There
have been a handful of cases like that and they are primarily all guys with
big blower (i.e. 3.4L Whipples). An unsupported lower pulley puts a lot of
stress on the crank snout. With that said, I've been running a 4lb lower
for years with no issue.

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Thanks!! completely understand what your talking about. I have yet to pull a front pulley off one of these cars so I was unsure just exactly what the stocker and the metco one looked like...

Users who are viewing this thread