Mesh router

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I use both. I wanted to see which one worked better overall. The Orbi at the office and the eero here at home. The eero is about $100 more but I prefer it over the Orbi. Awesome coverage and a piece of cake to setup. The Orbi is nice, too, but it was a bit more difficult to setup. I have to call customer support. With the eero you use a phone app which sets everything up through the app. Piece of cake!

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Great thread timing. Thanks for the input Cobrabob as I was trying to decide between the ORBI and EERO.
I think you solidified my decision, EERO!

Stanger00

Established Member
I use both. I wanted to see which one worked better overall. The Orbi at the office and the eero here at home. The eero is about $100 more but I prefer it over the Orbi. Awesome coverage and a piece of cake to setup. The Orbi is nice, too, but it was a bit more difficult to setup. I have to call customer support. With the eero you use a phone app which sets everything up through the app. Piece of cake!

Thanks for the feedback about setting up and getting started for both netgear mesh systems. I will have to figure out the best spot for the 3rd antenna as I only have 2 floors

Great thread timing. Thanks for the input Cobrabob as I was trying to decide between the ORBI and EERO.
I think you solidified my decision, EERO!

I'll be taking another look at the eero after the feedback from CobraBob.

I've heard good things about both.

I want to get this right the first time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the feedback about setting up and getting started for both netgear mesh systems. I will have to figure out the best spot for the 3rd antenna as I only have 2 floors

I'll be taking another look at the eero after the feedback from CobraBob.

I want to get this right the first time!

Just so you know, the eero mesh system isn't Netgear system. And it is a true meshing system. The Netgear Orbi uses a different technology, in-between a true meshing system and an extender. That was one of the reasons why I chose the eero for my home.

If you have a two floor house, put two units on the floor with the most devices. Likely your first floor. Put the second floor unit in that case on the side of the house with the most devices. I'm assuming you have bedrooms upstairs. Yes? No?

Stanger00

Established Member
Just so you know, the eero mesh system isn't Netgear system. And it is a true meshing system. The Netgear Orbi uses a different technology, in-between a true meshing system and an extender. That was one of the reasons why I chose the eero for my home.

If you have a two floor house, put two units on the floor with the most devices. Likely your first floor. Put the second floor unit in that case on the side of the house with the most devices. I'm assuming you have bedrooms upstairs. Yes? No?

We have 3 rooms upstairs and the modem will be located in the middle of the house in the master bedroom closet. We have 3 locations in the house that have LAN connections on the wall, living room, kitchen and bonus room (2nd floor). Those all feed back into the closet. Router will probably be set upstairs in the main hall way another directly below it in the garage entry hallway and the third will go in the living room to cover the rest of the lower level and the backyard.

Stanger00

Established Member
Update

I'm using Comcast 100mbps service. Bought netgear cm600 modem and netgear orbi router.

I get 120mbps on all first level rooms even in my garage until I get to the furthest point and that reads 60mbps on the 2.4 channel.

My backyard I get 90mbps at the fence and I'm about 45' from the router. The other end of the yard I'm pushing 75' and I get 20mbps.

I hooked plugged it in and it was simple to setup. I updated the firmware after I got everything going and that process was super easy. I'm not a tech guy at all.

It seems that up to 30 feet I get 5ghz channel and 2.4ghz is good for about 80 feet.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Update

I'm using Comcast 100mbps service. Bought netgear cm600 modem and netgear orbi router.

I get 120mbps on all first level rooms even in my garage until I get to the furthest point and that reads 60mbps on the 2.4 channel.

My backyard I get 90mbps at the fence and I'm about 45' from the router. The other end of the yard I'm pushing 75' and I get 20mbps.

I hooked plugged it in and it was simple to setup. I updated the firmware after I got everything going and that process was super easy. I'm not a tech guy at all.

It seems that up to 30 feet I get 5ghz channel and 2.4ghz is good for about 80 feet.

Yes, 5 ghz range is lower. Are you using N or AC bands on 5 Ghz? AC bands get a bit more distance than N bands.

Stanger00

Established Member
Honestly, I'm impressed with that range. I was expecting way less.

It automatically uses AC1300. Not much end user adjustment with this unit from what I understand and I'm ok with that.

I forgot to mention that the upper level we get 120 in all but one room and that room will be for the future mini.

Users who are viewing this thread