Mentoring

snakedoctor

Established Member
I just received a calendar invite for a “mentoring” meeting with my director’s director. He wasn’t cc’d, hasn’t mentioned anything about it so I’m assuming he’s out of the loop. I’m a manager of Radiology and my director has 0 knowledge of Radiology. My question is do they think that I don’t know what I’m doing and are wanting to provide guidance or do they have big plans for me? I’ve only been at this facility 6 months. I would assume that my director would be responsible for mentoring.

MG0h3

Established Member
Our program has mentors that are 4-5 ranks higher than the mentee.

Might clear it through your direct management to ensure nothing hinky is going on.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Oh shit are you going to get to meet Snover?

But in reality as mentioned above skip level stuff is normal, and is often more for them to get visibility to your work than anything else.

Also depending on your place, some like to put people in the "management" track quickly.

_Snake_

Established Member
Nothing to worry about. As mentioned, skip level mentoring is very common. Most likely they want to hear about how things are going, what you like and don't like about your role, what obstacles you need to have removed to be more effective, etc

At six months you're typically just getting settled into a new job and I wouldn't expect too much out of the meeting.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I have been an executive for the last 18 years for two large companies.

I suspect they have you in the upper right hand corner of the 9 box. Currently exceeding expectations with the potential for significant growth in responsibility.

You should welcome this opportunity.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Seems like a good way to fire people. It is much easier to catch them with their guard down.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Seems like a good way to fire people. It is much easier to catch them with their guard down.

Honestly this…

Usually a mentorship at my company means you’re about to be put into a “ performance program “ because you’re failing as a manager

snakedoctor

Established Member
I just received my evaluation and got a perfect score so I don’t think they can say that I’m failing as a manager. Is there a reason why it would be scheduled a month out?

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
That could be anything. Only you know how your performance has been. If there is room for advancement. How the communication has been to this point. Other people being mentored? Calendar invite leans towards a good thing.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I agree with IA Shelby. They're not going to waste effort on someone they're going to can.

Now, if you're going on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) you're a dead man walking. But, since you already got a good review that isn't the case.

_Snake_

Established Member
I just received my evaluation and got a perfect score so I don’t think they can say that I’m failing as a manager. Is there a reason why it would be scheduled a month out?
The higher up the manager, the busier the schedule.

Edited to add that it also shows it's not a priority meeting (ie, position elimination or PIP).

Don't sweat it.

Last edited:

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Skip levels are very common, if you got a perfect score on the latest eval I'd say you're good to go. Schedules are busy for upper management, I'd be surprised if it doesn't get rescheduled at least once between now and then.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I just received my evaluation and got a perfect score so I don’t think they can say that I’m failing as a manager.
With that post.....
I have been an executive for the last 18 years for two large companies.

I suspect they have you in the upper right hand corner of the 9 box. Currently exceeding expectations with the potential for significant growth in responsibility.

You should welcome this opportunity.
I believe this is your answer.

IA Shelby

Established Member
LOL

I don’t know any executive who would waste their time to try and trap an employee whose is multiple levels below them. If they wanted them fired or put on probation, they would rightfully delegate that to their direct leader.

Users who are viewing this thread