Memorial Day 2021

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
This is my 74th Memorial Day and each year it gets harder to deal with all the friends and class mates that paid the ultimate price for freedom. Some never came home, while others succumbed later in life, to whatever they were subjected to. I know it's a Holiday but we must never forget those who gave their life, for the freedom we enjoy today. Being born a year after WW II, I grew up with a deep respect for our fallen hero's. I hope all of you take the time to reflect and remember.

E2osZWbXwAIDhuF.jpg

99245221_10104497125182363_7231240036010688512_n.jpg

99430878_10216848128539762_6244576221510762496_n.jpg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
8/25/2011:
Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson’s Labrador retriever Hawkeye was loyal to the end, as he refused to leave his master’s side during an emotional funeral.

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 5.36.30 PM.png

The dog of a fallen Navy SEAL is stealing hearts across the Internet because of the image of the faithful Labrador retriever lying next to the sailor’s casket.

Jon Tumilson, a 35-year-old Navy SEAL who reportedly once made San Diego his home, was memorialized by his family in Iowa last week. He was one of 30 U.S. servicemen killed in an Aug. 6 helicopter crash in Afghanistan.

His lab, Hawkeye, is seen stretched out next to the flag-draped casket. The big black-brown dog walked up the aisle with Tumilson’s family as they entered the service, according to media reports.

When Tumilson’s friend, who had been caring for the dog, came to the stage to deliver his remarks, Hawkeye walked forward, too

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 5.37.03 PM.png

Dog guards casket of fallen Navy SEAL

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
And no Memorial Day would be complete for me, with out thanking my Father. He was a SSGT with the 1st Division or better known as "The Big Red One". He was in battles in Africa, Italy, Omaha Beach and the Battle of the Bulge. Wounded twice (2 Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star) and various other citations, was taken Prisoner of War in Dec of 1944 till the end of the War. Despite everything he went through, he was the best Father you could ever ask for. He passed away in March of 2003 at 82.

15032734_10211567625365509_1071785763150275163_n.jpg

Last edited:

BittenInBama

Established Member
And no Memorial Day would be complete for me, with out thanking my Father. He was a SSGT with the 1st Division or better known as "The Big Red One". He was in battles in Africa, Italy, Omaha Beach and the Battle of the Bulge. Wounded twice (2 Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star) and various other citations, was taken Prisoner of War in Dec of 1944 till the end of the War. Despite everything he went through, he was the best Father you could ever ask for. He passed away in March of 2003 at 82.

View attachment 1705729

Sounds like your dad & my uncle chewed a lot of the same dust.
Real men of pride & honor! Much respect to your dad....and to all those that volunteer to serve.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Sounds like your dad & my uncle chewed a lot of the same dust.
Real men of pride & honor! Much respect to your dad....and to all those that volunteer to serve.

Thanks for your comment. They were called "The Greatest Generation" for what they went through, that being a Great Depression and a World War. I'm sure most of them came home with some form of PTSD, that was not recognized as such, till many years later. They just sucked it up and dealt with it. My Father never spoke much about the War as I was growing up. He opened up to me in the last years of his life. I have all of his War Medals and Citations, with a list of all the prison camps the Germans moved them to, as the Allies moved in, to end the War. I will forever be in awe of this man, and love him till the day I die.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I always thought the fallen deserved more than one day of memorialization. I also remember the brave who fought the British on two occasions hundreds of years ago. They always seem to be left out of people's thoughts.
memorialday.jpg

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Grandfather (Bataan Death March Survivor) and Grandmother buried at Arlington overlooking the Pentagon. Will never forget the trips I've made to visit their graves; beyond humbling. Rows, everywhere

Thank you to all that gave it all

shutterstock_295252223.jpg

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I woke up this morning thinking about Tyrone Woods (sdfrog177). RIP warrior, and all American servicemen who made the ultimate sacrifice.

For those who didn't know Ty:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/rip-sdfrog177.879115/
Ok, I have chills now. I had to ask my wife to make sure of this. I was not around here much at all back then but my wife worked at Adventist hospital in Rockville, MD at the time as a staff Chaplain. As it turns out, Ty's brother in law Kevin was a nurse there at the time, and my wife provided support for him and his family right after Ty's death and my wife has remained friends with them. His brother in law Kevin was the one that wore this shirt to vote in 2016.
8271.jpeg
Screenshot_20210531-205407_Message%2B.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G988U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread