Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
This is unironically an amazing boomer-post. I mean no offense by that, at all, in fact I agree totally.

To your point, I bought a foam cannon 3 years ago and I absolutely love and hate the thing. On the plus side, you know every nook and cranny got soap in it, it's easy to make sure you hit every spot, and the wash mitt/sponge stays lubricated the whole time. On the negative side, setup takes 10x longer, I have to run the pressure washer, screw around changing QD fittings, and you find suds hiding everywhere during rinsing. NEVER use one on a hot day on a black car, even in the shade.

When I first started getting into detailing, I really never used more than a normal sponge and a 5 gallon bucket. I had a separate sponge for wheels, and that was about it. I didn't even think about "microscratches" and I was just as OCD then as I am now. Hell, my father taught me how to wax a car with an old white t-shirt (actually, he threw one at me and said "wax your damn car." I was careful, but I was also spoiled with softened well water- I didn't know what water spots were until I moved to South Carolina. Spraying your car with the hose now is about the same as sodablasting.

Today I have an entire 72" cabinet filled with various products and detailing tools. I guess it's the guy equivalent of women's makeup cabinets. I really do like the Chemical Guys stuff, except that their marketing team needs to lay off the crack. "Magical hydrophobic extreme surfactant with optical-grade gloss enhancers." It's friggin quick detailer you California nutbags!

If 25% of the effort gets you 95% of the results, is it really worth it? On an expensive car, sure. For keeping a competitive edge in the detailing business? Absolutely. For my daily driver that the damn neighbor's cat hops on every night? Probably not.

Sounds like a manufacturing / handling issue. I doubt Meguiar's fills and caps sprayers manually. Somewhere, someone has tooling set to stroke too far.
Yeh im just old school. Old fart. Some people love them. Im like, whats wrong with,how We've been doing it for 30 years? Dont see many old school guys with things like that. I guess in my mind, its like washing dishes before you put them in the dishwasher.

Sent from my LG V30 ThinQ using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Yeh im just old school. Old fart. Some people love them. Im like, whats wrong with,how We've been doing it for 30 years? Dont see many old school guys with things like that. I guess in my mind, its like washing dishes before you put them in the dishwasher.

Kris, foam cannons are great. They make a great party accessory, as does a foam pit. At least that's what I've been told.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

I started using a foam cannon and I actually like it a lot. I have hard water and it's always hot here so the cannon lets me cover the whole truck and then I can wash it in one shot without worrying about the water drying and spotting it up.

CV355

_
Established Member

Nothing wrong with that. There's a lot of hype and marketing.

A buddy of mine bought a new car last year and asked me what he should do about detailing. I told him what my typical "spend the entire day until the car looks new" routine was. His eyes went wide and he said "really?" My response was "honestly, if you wash and wax your car every 3-6 months, you're probably in the top 5%."

All that extra work we go through is because we're auto enthusiasts and we care about those little details. It's like a competition.

Hell I just spent 4 hours on my Volvo the other day, had it looking fantastic, and a friggin hawk or albatross or Quetzalcoatl or something bombed the hell out of it within the next few hours. That's life.

I started using a foam cannon and I actually like it a lot. I have hard water and it's always hot here so the cannon lets me cover the whole truck and then I can wash it in one shot without worrying about the water drying and spotting it up.

They're fun and a useful tool in my opinion. But I'm also finding myself not having time for the full treatment where a simple bucket and sponge would take 10 minutes tops. How did I ever survive doing it that way?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I've tried to like my foam cannon but still prefer a single bucket rinsless wash, even in the winter. Use to do two bucket but seemed like a waste on our DD's. Winter washing was the main reason I bought it but all the added time and not being able to wash inside my closed garage sidelined it after my first few attempts. Im not gonna lie, it was fun blasting the cars with it but not worth the time/effort.

I will give it another chance when I do my spring deep clean (engine, under carriage, door/trunk jambs) once all the salt is washed off the streets. Thinking about using IronX soap for that.

BMSTNG

Established Member
Great product and great results. I've used it on my daily and my wife's 2018 Stinger. I'm very impressed. Now I did have the issue with the bottle leaking. I purchased mine from Walmart and a week later the bottle had a pin hole at the bottom. I contacted Meguiars, about the issue and they sent me out a new bottle immediately.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Great product and great results. I've used it on my daily and my wife's 2018 Stinger. I'm very impressed. Now I did have the issue with the bottle leaking. I purchased mine from Walmart and a week later the bottle had a pin hole at the bottom. I contacted Meguiars, about the issue and they sent me out a new bottle immediately.
Must be why mines currently on backorder! Add to the fact I put it in a zip lock bag that ALSO has a hole = all dumped in top of my tool box. Needed an excuse to clean it anyhow.

Washed and sprayed the Mckee's Hydro Blue Sio2 on the wife's ride today. Supposed to rain all week and wished it had Megs HCW on. Someday!

BMSTNG

Established Member
Must be why mines currently on backorder! Add to the fact I put it in a zip lock bag that ALSO has a hole = all dumped in top of my tool box. Needed an excuse to clean it anyhow.

Washed and sprayed the Mckee's Hydro Blue Sio2 on the wife's ride today. Supposed to rain all week and wished it had Megs HCW on. Someday!
I called Meguiars, last Tuesday about the issue and the person I spoke to didn't mention anything about the product being on backorder. He said, we would get one out to you immediately and I recieved it this past Saturday. I would try calling again if I were you. GL

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I called Meguiars, last Tuesday about the issue and the person I spoke to didn't mention anything about the product being on backorder. He said, we would get one out to you immediately and I recieved it this past Saturday. I would try calling again if I were you. GL
I work for 3M who also owns Meguiars. We have an online e-store where I can buy this stuff extremely cheap. The person overseeing my order after I sent in the pictures said they were on backorder and I would receive mine ASAP unless I wanted a refund. Since it costs me next to nothing, I'm willing to wait. Just to ask, where on the bottom was the pinhole?

ZEN357

Established Member
I like this stuff and I am an old school polish/wax with a Porter Cable guy. I paid $15 on Amazon and it came with a $5 rebate on it. It was applied over Meguiar's ultimate wax that I put on over 4 months ago (there wasn't much left on the car).

The "base coat" process only added 15-20 minutes over a normal wash time.

View attachment 1560165

Looks great! How hard was it to work with?

BMSTNG

Established Member
I work for 3M who also owns Meguiars. We have an online e-store where I can buy this stuff extremely cheap. The person overseeing my order after I sent in the pictures said they were on backorder and I would receive mine ASAP unless I wanted a refund. Since it costs me next to nothing, I'm willing to wait. Just to ask, where on the bottom was the pinhole?
I believe it was in the seam along the the side of the bottle at the bottom. What caught my eye was everytime I set the bottle down on the ground I was getting a small little puddle right where the bottle sat.

850SNCobra

Established Member
Crazy how my bottle was fine until I dropped it, then it developed the same kind of hole or leak in the same spot that a few others here experienced.

Only a little leaked out, I used my hot glue gun to patch it and so far no leaks.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Bought some at Walmart over the weekend. Ill give it a shot this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I reached out to Meguiar's Global Project Manager and he said that they are producing a new bottle that shouldn't leak anymore. I read on Autogeek about people diluting the HCW to 1:7 and since I had almost none left, I mixed what i had with water in a Home Depot spray bottle. I have no idea on the ratio, but it's still blue! We'll see what happens when I clean the wife's ride next time. Heck, may even clean the mower up.
HCW.jpeg

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I reached out to Meguiar's Global Project Manager and he said that they are producing a new bottle that shouldn't leak anymore. I read on Autogeek about people diluting the HCW to 1:7 and since I had almost none left, I mixed what i had with water in a Home Depot spray bottle. I have no idea on the ratio, but it's still blue! We'll see what happens when I clean the wife's ride next time. Heck, may even clean the mower up.
View attachment 1572198
I'm curious to know how this works.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread