Mechanical work you've done that was a complete pain in the a?

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Installing LT headers on my car without dropping the k-member...Did a buddies and we dropped the k-member...1000x easier

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Midpipes on my 02 GT.

Just time consuming to get the right combination of extensions and wobble heads to get at the pass side manifold bolts.

Planter

Banned
pulling the engine out my 03 cobra for a headgasket swap and a bunch of other crap 3 years ago. PITA. especially getting the crank pulley off while the engine is out of the car and the transmission/driveshaft arent bolted up still (hint: always loosen it before you unhook the transmission/driveshaft).

getting the valve covers off with engine in the car is a pita too.

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
Exhaust donuts and turbo o-rings on a 7.3 powerstoke without pulling the trans. Doing in in a parking lot of course. It sucked.

oldmodman

Established Member
Since this said mechanical work and not automotive work here's mine.

I helped pull an engine out of a 62 foot cabin cruiser for a rebuild.

Two huge mistakes were made. We decided to do it ourselves,
And we decided to do it with the vessel still in the water.

Getting the gigantic 640hp diesel marine engine ready for pulling was easy.
That part only took about three days. We had to remove the back half of the main cabin, the railing around the rear sundeck and all the deck over the engine room. Unbolt the engine from the hull spars. Pump all the oil and fuel out of the engine and make absolutely sure all the hard lines and wiring was disconnected.

Then the really scary part started.

We had hired a crane and operator to reach into the boat with it's arm and lift the engine up them retract the arm to get it out. The operator was very skilled and so was his spotter. But the spotter was too big to fit in the engine compartment. But I wasn't at the time being only 14 years old. So I went in there and communicated with the spotter who was lying on the deck looking down at the engine. Should have been an easy job but remember that the crane was fixed in place but the boat hull was floating in the water and could rise, fall, and shift left and right with ocean.
The lift started and I was keeping the spotter informed as to where the engine was in relation to the mounts. It had been lifted up six inches but was still sitting in the mounts. Everyone forgot about the hull rising as the weight of the engine was taken up by the crane. So the spotter asked for more lift and just as the engine came up off the mounts the wake from another boat pushed the hull just enough to push the engine against me and me against the water purifier. It didn't crush me but it scared the crap out of me and knocked all the wind out of me. The hull moved back to it's resting position immediately and we got the engine out of there.

But I learned to never, ever, get between to huge hunks of iron when the object you are standing on can move.

mikecobra01

Established Member
Mounting tires on a 2010 BMW M3, 265/40ZR18's=major pain in the ass.

As far as my own cars working in the driveway, swapping turbos in my 88 Supra was a real pain.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I'd have to say doing ANY suspension related work on my old '95 and '98 S10 Blazers was probably the worst. Changing 150k mile ball joints that still had the factory rivets would make you find religion.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Replacing a trans in my turbo buick while on jack stands. I was trying to bench press the trans while my dad helped me align it. I still wake up in cold sweats.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Getting the starter off my Mustang seemed like the most ridicules thing I've ever had trouble with. The top bolt was terrible! I ended up just leaving it off when I re-installed it.

Devilsfan72

Established Member
Main wiring harness in a Mercedes Benz G55. That sucked , the entire vehicle was gutted and part of engine compartment also.

UncleDan

Established Member
I was a Marine Mechanic for 8 years before being an Engineer. Everything is a massive pain in the balls when working on boats.

Users who are viewing this thread