Mechanical work you've done that was a complete pain in the a?

cbr repsol

Established Member
So I decided to help a neighbor out. His starter went bad in his 92 Lexus sc400.
What a huge pain in the a. The starter is located in the valley of the engine between the heads. To make things worse , they put the bolts to the starter on the back of the engine. (that was really stupid, there is no room. Had to remove the upper and lower manifold, throttle body and fuel rails with injectors. Needless to say I completed it in 8 hours,and the car starts nice again.
Never again though

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Headers on a LT1 Fbody was the worst thing I've ever personally done.

Not saying it's the hardest thing ever, but it was a PITA

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I installed a Buderus 680,000 BTU 2 stage oil fired boiler @ the local fire department several years ago. The main supply header was 5 inch black iron pipe. I spent several days assembling and disassembling it, with 3 foot pipe wrenches, to reseal pipe threads due to water leaks. That job was a total pain in the ass.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
02+ ford explorer rear differential. what a MOFO. and they go bad very often.

catalytic converters on a v6 SVT contour. holy shit i wanted to kill myself after that one. NEVER again. no amount of money could make me do that again.

knock sensor on 3.0/3.5 older nissans. sits in the valley with gobs of crap on top of it and they go bad and the cars dont run. worst is the nissan quest minivan.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
water pump on like a 2000 dodge neon....pretty much had to remove a motor mount and everything. total pain in the butt

brandonflood123

Established Member
i would have to say the hardest thing Ive done to this day was change the transmission out on my car in my buddies drive way on jack stands( it was dire and we didn't have access to a lift) took us 9 hours

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Pulled and rebuilt the motor in my 90 model Accord.

Transmission in my 2000 Mustang GT

Installing gears in My 2000 Mustang GT.

I'm not saying that it was hard but with it being my first time doing it, it was a pain.

cbr repsol

Established Member
My mom has an SC400 and many things on those cars are a pain in the ass.

Yeah , I'm done with that thing. I did the head gaskets on my sisters 04 ram . Took about 30 hours of labor. I would rather do that again than that starter on that Lexus.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Clutch on my '96 Formula. Did it at the base hobby shop. Removing it was easy because I had a trans jack. Going back in was a different story because I had to bench press the T-56 in on the ground since someone snagged the jack before I got there.

Like the others said, headers on an LT-1 are no fun either.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Installed longtubes on my 03 GT without dropping the K-member. First thing I put on that car, it was quite an ordeal. Then of course one of the gaskets leaked, so I had to do the work all over again. Dropped the K-member the 2nd time and was pissed I didn't try that originally.

Most demeaning work though? Busted the front ring gear in my XJ on a trail 2 hours from home. Made it back to camp where everyone started cooking dinner and drinking for the night. Meanwhile, I'm tearing apart the front axle of my Jeep removing everything, axle shafts, ARB locker, etc. to take the ring gear off so I can drive home the next day. All while sitting in the dirt in the dark and 20 people looking over my shoulder drinking and laughing.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
i would have to say the hardest thing Ive done to this day was change the transmission out on my car in my buddies drive way on jack stands( it was dire and we didn't have access to a lift) took us 9 hours

This. Add cold winter earth to the mix for me.

Got the flu a day later.

lawdog302

Lets roll with it
Established Member
water pump on a 90's cavalier. Just wasnt ready to tear the engine most of the way out. I was a mechanic at an implement dealership for years and the list could go on and on.

Users who are viewing this thread