Mechanical ability of Terminator Owners

My mechanical abilities are (not necessarily with the Cobra):

• I send in my car for service and/or upgrades.

Votes: 34 7.2%
  • Light stuff - oil changes, plug changes, clean the K&N

Votes: 73 15.5%
  • I do my own exhaust, minor suspension work and brakes.

Votes: 150 31.9%
  • I've swapped intakes, cams, and heads

Votes: 83 17.7%
  • I've changed ring and pinons, rebuilt engines and transmissions

Votes: 101 21.5%
  • I earn my living as a master mechanic!

Votes: 29 6.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

launchnukes

Crazy SVT Person
Established Member
i could probally do all of the above, but i dont have enough time. so i'll stick to installing my FIPK and minor stuff.

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
I hopped up the '57 when I was 18 (it's back to stock). I've "played" with everything since then.

This Cobra is, by far, the easiest thing to get HP out of I've ever seen. What a motor.

Thank you Bill Ford. :bowdown:

Up yours, Jac Nasser. :cuss:

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Ive done a couple of full 5.0 performance rebuilds, rebuilt 2 4-cyl import performance motors, even 2 motorcycle motors. Even with all that, im taking my car in for any serious work till the warranty is up. Why bust my knuckles?

Blown408 86GT

94GT 617 rwhp fun machine
Established Member
I've rebuilt the engine in my 617 rwhp 86GT once so I guess I qualify for the second from the bottom selection...

Paul

Last edited:

MS KWIK

Established Member
I've done the shifter and K&N FIPK in my '04 Cobra, and used to change the plugs in my old 5.0. Not bad for a girl, huh :-D

Shelley

Venix

Venomous Productions
Established Member
If u cant put a catback on your car, i would feel sorry for you. lol. I have done minor body work, including adding/replacing body panels, and that stuff. I can do most anything on an carb or efi motor( except tune it...me and cpus arnt friends yet). I work with electronics all the time, so i can wire anything. Ive never messed with suspension though. It kinda scares me, and i dont want to make the car fall apart while i drive it. Its ok if it blows up, but not if it falls apart. James

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I'm a wannabe Terminator Owner ...

My step dad was good at drinking, and was a master stone mason, but given a screwdriver or a wrench, he'd probably have hurt himself.

I was an aircraft mechanic for years, and that gave me the confidence to read technical manuals (Motor's, Chilton's, etc.), and do as much as possible myself. Have completely rebuilt 2 '65 GTO 389's, their carbs, and shifters. Later on, 2 Chev P/U 283's. I enjoy mechanical work, but lack a lot of equipment - I'm ok on tools though.

Done basic stuff on my '95 Cobra ... rear suspension, brakes all the way around, plugs - cap & wires, been in the valve covers once, carpeting, interior mods ... nothing real heavy.

I'm kind of old (62), so I choose my projects carefully.

Dan

Last edited:

The Pun

Formerly 10th03cobra
Established Member
I can do some work but I get pissed real easy and like to give up. I hate working on cars, I just like breakin them.

Thats why I am in Grad School.

Last edited:

382LS1

!LS1 anymore
Established Member
10 ASE's, GM master Tech,and Degree in high performance engine building and custom chasis fabrication Just shy of 22 years of age. I get crap from all the old guys at work asking me why the hell i would want in this field. The only thing i would trade it for would be a career in firefighting, but I'd make a lot less money. I work at a dealership that sells everything from Honda's to M5's and 911's, so i get to work on everything. The only bad thing is I haven't been in Charlotte Long enough to buy a house, so no garage right now :cuss:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I've rebuilt a few engines, couple of auto trannys.. about the only thing that I've never done is rebuild a rearend, but I'm no afraid to get into one..

it sure helps that I can take my car onto base and use the auto hobby shop, with it's air tools and where every bay has a lift..

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
As the saying goes, been there...done that. But now days, I find I just don't have the time anymore so I have alot of the bigger, time-consuming jobs done by someone else. I still enjoy turning wrenches though, so I'll do exhaust, pulley swaps, and small stuff like that.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ah yes, the good old days of Holley double pumpers. LOL! Not! I tore my '70 Duster 340 apart more times than I want to remember. Must have installed a half dozen different Holley carbs in the 3 years I owned it. But that sucker was fast! Give me EFI any day. :)

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
CobraBob said:
I tore my '70 Duster 340 apart more times than I want to remember.
No $hit! I had one of those, too, and did the same thing! I think I rebuilt it about 3-4 times back in the late 70's. :thumbsup:

Screamin'SVT

Banned
Can't say I earn my living as a master mechanic yet, but I am in my second year of a bachelor's program in automotive management technology.. I've already done a few complete motor builds and tranny rebuilds. Always do all the work on my own cars, always will..

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I follow directions VERY well! Give me a diagram and I can do almost anything.....:beer:

Being a mechanic is no where near as hard as some of the shyt I deal with on a daily/nightly basis.....:nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread