Mechanical ability of Terminator Owners

My mechanical abilities are (not necessarily with the Cobra):

• I send in my car for service and/or upgrades.

Votes: 34 7.2%
  • Light stuff - oil changes, plug changes, clean the K&N

Votes: 73 15.5%
  • I do my own exhaust, minor suspension work and brakes.

Votes: 150 31.9%
  • I've swapped intakes, cams, and heads

Votes: 83 17.7%
  • I've changed ring and pinons, rebuilt engines and transmissions

Votes: 101 21.5%
  • I earn my living as a master mechanic!

Votes: 29 6.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
We've all seen the polls for "what is your age" or "what is your income." I thought it would be interesting to see what our abilities are. Your answers don't have to be limited to working on Cobras only.

As for me, I have a lot of mechanic friends and I own/modify a few Fords. So I'm probably somewhere between 4 and 5.

Russ

Last edited:

mystic1

KB'd BITCH!!!!
Established Member
I have to go with the in between since this is my first terminator, but I built my first big block(390) when I was 15, and has been down hill since then. To own a car like this you have to be one with it, and bust some knuckles.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
It's always fun doing it yourself, but sometimes having your ride worked in is more of a hassle factor than a skill issue. I've swapped x/h pipes before, but I payed a shop $60 to do it on the Terminator. I've done headers before too, but i'd pay someone else to do it on the 03.

Sometimes money CAN buy happiness :beer:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Well, I don't personally work on my own engine, but between my hubby and a few good friends 98% of the work on my car was done in my garage including the KB, clutch, halfshafts, bushings and oh yeah....engine removal/replacement.

wjfawb0

Established Member
Hey, my cousin and I installed the IRS bushings. That counts for a lot, right? :-D I've done the shifter, IRS bushings, drive shaft loop, catback, spark plugs, oil, wheels/tires, broke and replaced a half shaft. I'm on my way to having taken the car totally apart. The clutch and input shaft will be one of the most interesting undertakings, I am sure.

-Jason

EDIT: Oh yeah, I drive around with a spare half shaft and the tools to change it out in my trunk too. :dw:

Last edited:

SVT4ME

Established Member
Am right in the middle. With some small help I think I could do it all. Just afraid of messing up my car.

Wildjon

Established Member
I've been everywhere 'cept for a ring and pinion and paint. Automatic transmissions C6s and C4s in particular are kinda easy. Took me a couple of times to get things right but I now have 3 transmissions that work perfectly running around Georgia.

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
I've rebuilt engines before, and an auto trans, but I now have a 75,000 mile warranty, so I take the loaner and let the dealership do the work ;-)

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Well...I've pretty much done it all, when it comes to 1960's through today cars....rebuilt engines/transmissions/rears....completely restored numerous musclecars of yesteryear too. I love it! Have to thank my dad for this love....he has been a backyard mechanic since his teenage days....he started me wrenching on Oldsmobiles from the 1960's ,back when I was about 4 years old.

Thanks Dad.....

PDubs

Established Member
<-- Mechanically DEclined but I did install my Stingers using Rhino ramps (learning)!

Roush9703

Established Member
ive managed to do everything on the terminator but the pulleys...the most indept thing ive done has been having the Roush's whole front suspension on the floor in the garage when i was having a problem with my coilovers , ...thanks to that i can basically handle anything with the front suspension of a mustang, that and cleaning the imrc's on the 96...still too scared to tackle heads/cams though, dont want to mess anything up...my dad was a gearhead in the 60's and passed his knowledge onto me

Last edited:

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Originally posted by HotRodHarry
Well...I've pretty much done it all, when it comes to 1960's through today cars....rebuilt engines/transmissions/rears....completely restored numerous musclecars of yesteryear too. I love it! Have to thank my dad for this love....he has been a backyard mechanic since his teenage days....he started me wrenching on Oldsmobiles from the 1960's ,back when I was about 4 years old.

Thanks Dad.....

Cool...

My dad taught me how to maintain our family car, which was a '68 Dodge Dart with a slant six. We used to maintain my Mom's '70 VW by doing things like setting valve lash. Then when I was 17 I had enough confidence to do a hipo rebuild on the 289 in my '65 Stang.

Gotta love family traditions.:beer:

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Ive done everything to my cobra, and been bored doing it (Pulley, CAI, Cat back, MM IRS bushings).

Ive built 3 cars now (two from the ground up, 1923 t and 1965 cobra replica) and did all drivetrain and suspension work on my 95 GT i had.

I can paint, set up gears, build/tune motors, cut, mill, lathe, weld, and am not afraid to do any of it. The victor wrench solves alot of problems :)

The only thing i dont care to fool with is Trannies, especially autos. I have a goood friend that does those :)

Rudy

Twin screwed
Established Member
did suspension on my 98 cobra, did catback on my terminator,shifter,cai, next would be raptor shift light. also gutted my stereo, speakers on my 98 cobra

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
90lx 4cyl. converted to 302 EFI.. Went back to my roots and put a carb setup in it, 8.8,t5,fuel system(sumped stock tank),guages,8point cage,race seat,converted to 5 lug,ported heads,machined for screw in studs myself on a bridgeport... The list goes on.

On my 3rd motor build. 2nd stang rebuilt for drag racing.

Terminator- I'm going to try to stay out from under the valvecovers.

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
I was earning a living as a line mech for 15yrs before my firefighting career. I still enjoy working on cars. I do alot of work for friends BUT try to stay away from the Cobra engine since it is under warranty!!!!

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Sure is great seeing how the car knowledge from Father's to Son's is going strong! Keep the tradition alive gang....my boys and girls all wrench with me.

Hot Rod(easier than having to get up and get a tool...send the kids)Harry :D

nugen

Established Member
I've got two cars. I built the engine for my T4 turbo Honda from the ground up. The only thing stock on that car is the crank. On my Cobra, I haven't even done my own oil change. I don't care if the Honda blows up though (knocking on wood) because that is my "hobby" car. It would kill me if the Cobra blew up though. Plus, there are no facilities with lifts, tool boxes etc around me.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Backyard mechanic, more comfortable with carbs, pushrods, and mechanical things that can be easliy figured out. Hate all this electronic crap.

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
I started out so innocent with the parts washer when I was 5. Rebuilt many a small block chevy along the way. I have done almost everything to my cars, but now I just don't have access to all the tools. Slowly building up my collection though. Give me a Holley 650 double pumper, a can of ether, and a screwdriver instead of the electronics :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread