mayweather/ de la hoya fight

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
phillySVT said:
Yea...thats why boxing is dead and MMA is more popular and it hasn't even hit it's peak yet.:poke:

Yawn. At a minimum, DLH will get $23.3 million, Mayweather $10 million. After PPV, it will more likely be around 40 and 25. Ask the majority of UFC fighters how those 10g paydays are coming along.

I love both, but Spike TV and sherdog have spawned millions of idiots who know jack shit about either blabbering on the internet...

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
DBK said:
Yawn. At a minimum, DLH will get $23.3 million, Mayweather $10 million. After PPV, it will more likely be around 40 and 25. Ask the majority of UFC fighters how those 10g paydays are coming along.

I love both, but Spike TV and sherdog have spawned millions of idiots who know jack shit about either blabbering on the internet...

True that.

Not only that but boxing is harder than MMA!

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
DBK said:

So what are you saying??? I've been involved in MMA for years. I just find it more exciting than boxing. I think the masses do too. The days of the great heavyweight are gone.

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
Dead serious. Fighters spend much more time fighting. Just because MMA has more elements doesnt mean its harder. 12 Rounds vs 3. Do the math. I love how everyone thinks they know fighting and thinks MMA is so much better and harder than boxing.

Anyone else think MMA appeals to the same audience as wrestling?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
phillySVT said:
So what are you saying??? I've been involved in MMA for years. I just find it more exciting than boxing. I think the masses do too. The days of the great heavyweight are gone.

I'm saying that a sport where 2 men can earn a combined $60 million dollars for 36 minutes of work is not "dead". There have been an insane amount of great fights in the past 5 years. If you only want to watch heavyweights, too bad. The laundry list of exciting and tremendously skilled fighters below 190 pounds is longer than it's ever been.

It's not a competition. The NBA didn't "beat" MLB last year.

I'm all for MMA, but don't confuse the reasons for it's popularity. It has more to do with marketing a bunch of bitches in tight shorts drinking the right drink in between ads for video games and the shitty action movie of the month to the same 18-34 year old meatheads that love WWF. That says nothing of the quality of the sport, which I think is great.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
TDMCobra said:
Dead serious. Fighters spend much more time fighting. Just because MMA has more elements doesnt mean its harder. 12 Rounds vs 3. Do the math. I love how everyone thinks they know fighting and thinks MMA is so much better and harder than boxing.

Anyone else think MMA appeals to the same audience as wrestling?

Yes...but I've wrestled and tried boxing and I all ways found wrestling more physical.
PS I come from a Wrestling /Sambo background so I don't think I know about MMA. I did it. I'm not trying to be cocky....but don't assume everyone on here hasn't done it.

Ps I HATE WWF...so don't put me in that catagory. I think it's male soap operas.

Last edited:

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
phillySVT said:
Yes...but I've wrestled and tried boxing and I all ways found wrestling more physical.
PS I come from a Wrestling /Sambo background so I don't think I know about MMA. I did it. I'm not trying to be cocky....but don't assume everyone on here hasn't done it.

Ps I HATE WWF...so don't put me in that catagory. I think it's male soap operas.

I wasnt really talking to you so much as in general. I have wrestled, boxed, and done some MMA training and sparring before. All 3 are hard as shit and the accolades the competitors recieve are well deserved. I just cant stand how MMA has this super badass imagine now and boxing is regarded as wimpy compared to it. Boxing is just as technical, skilled, and hard as MMA. If you think otherwise, you really have no expierience in fighting sports.

Last edited:

Mayo5

Established Member
All 3 are hard as shit and the accolades the competitors recieve are well deserved. I just cant stand how MMA has this super badass imagine now and boxing is regarded as wimpy compared to it. Boxing is just as technical and skilled as MMA. If you think otherwise, you really have no expierience in fighting sports.

I've trained for both. Both are equally hard and tiring in their own way. MMA is more of the sprinters race, and boxing is the distance runners race.

Much more hands on fighting in boxing though, especially with the constant sparring.

FliteQH

FOXY5OH
Established Member
I only watched the first few rounds... but I'm putting in my uneducated, non-boxing fan opinion from just what I saw.
De La Hoya definitely went at it harder and faster, when he made contact it was hard, but Mayweather went at it with more 'control' and landed some awesome hits.
After watching just the first few rounds, I predicted Mayweather to win.

They're both sexy too, I much enjoyed the eye candy :coolman:

AcE ROAR

Banned
Mayweathers dad said that the fight belonged to Oscar. LOL talk about PWNED!

Last edited:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
TDMCobra said:
I wasnt really talking to you so much as in general. I have wrestled, boxed, and done some MMA training and sparring before. All 3 are hard as shit and the accolades the competitors recieve are well deserved. I just cant stand how MMA has this super badass imagine now and boxing is regarded as wimpy compared to it. Boxing is just as technical, skilled, and hard as MMA. If you think otherwise, you really have no expierience in fighting sports.

Boxing is hard...I see more out of shape people in MMA than I do in boxing these days.

2001BlackSVT

You're First or Last
Established Member
AcE ROAR said:
Mayweathers dad said that the fight belonged to Oscar. LOL talk about PWNED!

yeah, his dad used to coach de la hoya also... then floyd fired his ass last week, talk about a severe financial **** over... no wonder the dad said that, anybody that knows boxing knows that floyd mayweather jr. owned that fight

Users who are viewing this thread