mayweather/ de la hoya fight

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Mayo5 said:
Learn what boxing is chumps. This isn't beer brawling UFC.

Was agreeing with ya and thought you were a knowledgeable fan of the sport, and then I lost ya.

03 red vert

Mayweather landed cleaner shots; however, De La Hoya was more aggressive. I do agree, if De La Hoya stuck with the jab, then he would have landed cleaner/more shots to Mayweather's head/body, which Oscar would have won the fight. Though, I was impressed with De La Hoya's attack of the body and abililty to defend against Mayweather's shots.

If there is re-match, hopefully Oscar will learn from the mistake of giving up on the jab and the outcome would be different.

Exposed weakness of Mayweather from this fight. He is susceptible to the jab, a body attack and being roughed up.

A better match up may be Sugar Shane Mosley vs. Mayweather due to Sugar Shane's impressive speed, defense, allusiveness and punching power.

Yes, Mayweather acted like an ass during the post-fight interview.

Mayo5

Established Member
Was agreeing with ya and thought you were a knowledgeable fan of the sport, and then I lost ya.

Sorry I should have defined it more. I was referring to the way people boo and call "BSBSBS" b/c Oscar lost and he was "agressor". So people automatically think the one who appears to be the most aggressive is deserving the winner, like in the UFC usually.

Mayo5

Established Member
Mayweather landed cleaner shots; however, De La Hoya was more aggressive. I do agree, if De La Hoya stuck with the jab, then he would have landed cleaner/more shots to Mayweather's head/body, which Oscar would have won the fight. Though, I was impressed with De La Hoya's attack of the body and abililty to defend against Mayweather's shots.

If there is re-match, hopefully Oscar will learn from the mistake of giving up on the jab and the outcome would be different.

Exposed weakness of Mayweather from this fight. He is susceptible to the jab, a body attack and being roughed up.

A better match up may be Sugar Shane Mosley vs. Mayweather due to Sugar Shane's impressive speed, defense, allusiveness and punching power.

Yes, Mayweather acted like an ass during the post-fight interview.

Ugh. Did you watch the same fight? De La Hoya had no chance of landing any more punches on Mayweather than he did, even if he could have "jabbed" more. He had no chance. You don't open end check jab with a guy who is twice as fast as you. You corner him, then unload like he was trying to do. You pin him, you don't play jabs and actually try to box him.

Body shots are great when they are used against guys who are not prepared for them, or used to counter. Mayweather was ready for those. Oscar got in alot of "stat-stuffer" body punches as did Mayweather to Oscar but with the glancing headshots.

How is landing 20% of your punches on your opponent exposing a weakness?

And neither fighter was roughed up at all. Period.

Yes, Mosely vs Mayweather would be a good fight.That is if Mayweather doesn't retire,which he said he would and I can't blame him.

Yes Mayweather is a shit-talker. There is no denying that. But who cares, I would probally talk shit if I was 38-0 as a pro boxer too. lol. Oscar's sportsmanship is one in a million. It's pretty hard to compare people to Oscars humbleness.

03 red vert

Mayo5 said:
Ugh. Did you watch the same fight? De La Hoya had no chance of landing any more punches on Mayweather than he did, even if he could have "jabbed" more. He had no chance. You don't open end check jab with a guy who is twice as fast as you. You corner him, then unload like he was trying to do. You pin him, you don't play jabs and actually try to box him.

Body shots are great when they are used against guys who are not prepared for them, or used to counter. Mayweather was ready for those. Oscar got in alot of "stat-stuffer" body punches as did Mayweather to Oscar but with the glancing headshots.

How is landing 20% of your punches on your opponent exposing a weakness?

And neither fighter was roughed up at all. Period.

Yes, Mosely vs Mayweather would be a good fight.That is if Mayweather doesn't retire,which he said he would and I can't blame him.

Yes Mayweather is a shit-talker. There is no denying that. But who cares, I would probally talk shit if I was 38-0 as a pro boxer too. lol. Oscar's sportsmanship is one in a million. It's pretty hard to compare people to Oscars humbleness.

You and I did not watch the same fight.

When Oscar was using his jab, Mayweather became less active. True, entering a boxing match with a faster Mayweather is foolish; however, continuing with the jab would have opened up Mayweather to the straight right to the head or more body shot opportunities. Since you watched the fight, you also heard Freddy Roach during the fight and commentators after the fight referencing the same point. Also, the during the post-fight interview with Oscar, he admitted to screwing up by moving away from using the jab.

Mayweather receiving elbows to the head and low blows are not indications of being roughed up. Okay....

Mayweather is not going to retire and rewatch the fight next weekend on HBO. You will also see Mayweather's weaknesses as previously stated.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Mayo5 said:
Sorry I should have defined it more. I was referring to the way people boo and call "BSBSBS" b/c Oscar lost and he was "agressor". So people automatically think the one who appears to be the most aggressive is deserving the winner, like in the UFC usually.

Oooh, much clearer. :beer:

2001BlackSVT

You're First or Last
Established Member
mayweather was landing 40-50% of his shots, and de la hoya was landing 20-30% of his shots... as you could see at the end with the stats, de la hoya threw over 100 more punches, and mayweather connected with 85ish more shots than de la hoya did

03DOHC

Established Member
Mayweather is just too fast. I can't wait to see it on hbo next weekend. And I don't see mosley doing anything to floyd either.

Mayo5

Established Member
Mayweather is just too fast. I can't wait to see it on hbo next weekend. And I don't see mosley doing anything to floyd either.

Yeah, I think Mosely and Mayweather would be a great match. But I will still give it to Mayweather just b/c of his uncanny ability to control the fight with this speed and evasiveness.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
All Mayweather did was give him some quick and accurate love taps... De La Hoya hit him 100000000000x harder and should have won. Mayweather's dad said it best at the end of the fight...

Mayo5

Established Member
All Mayweather did was give him some quick and accurate love taps... De La Hoya hit him 100000000000x harder and should have won. Mayweather's dad said it best at the end of the fight...

Hmmm really? B/c the fight I watched Oscar got stunned 4 times to Mayweathers 2. AND MAYWEATHER LANDED 85 MORE TIMES.

And if Oscar hit him so hard, why was Mayweather always smiling and never ot of breath in his corner?

Mayweather dad was saying that out of being nice and respectful, b/c he used to train Oscar De La Hoya. Its to say that when you know your son won the fight already.

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
Mayo5 said:
Hmmm really? B/c the fight I watched Oscar got stunned 4 times to Mayweathers 2. AND MAYWEATHER LANDED 85 MORE TIMES.

And if Oscar hit him so hard, why was Mayweather always smiling and never ot of breath in his corner?

Mayweather dad was saying that out of being nice and respectful, b/c he used to train Oscar De La Hoya. Its to say that when you know your son won the fight already.

dude, seriously. get off mayweather's nuts. oscar put up a fight.

Mayo5

Established Member
dude, seriously. get off mayweather's nuts. oscar put up a fight.

I actually don't like Mayweather, but I give respect where respect is due. And I was breaking down the fight to how I saw it.

I never said Oscar didn't put up desperate flurries. But he didn't really fight to the best of his ability. Neither of them did.

HerNameIsPonie

LAMC ftw
Established Member
Mayo5 said:

From what I understand from some boxers if you smile it means it hurt

Mayo5

Established Member
If you know boxing, you know Mayweather won. DLH maybe took 4 or 5 rounds tops.

Exactly. Thank you.

From what I understand from some boxers if you smile it means it hurt

You are right and wrong. It all depends on the person, and the mind games they are trying to play.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
It was a pretty decent fight. Floyd fights are never entertaining for anything other than his craft. It was a pretty clear win, and people who think otherwise just flat out don't know much about boxing. Judges score on effective aggression, defense, ring generalship, and clean and hard punches. On 3 of those 4 counts, PBF won with relative ease.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Mayo5 said:
No, he only landed about 2-3 punches out of those weak flurries. If he didnt have those flurries, he would have gotten dominated.

Mayweather had the more definte punch landing, a higher % landed, more counter punches, and more evasions.

Learn what boxing is chumps. This isn't beer brawling UFC.

Yea...thats why boxing is dead and MMA is more popular and it hasn't even hit it's peak yet.:poke:

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
Mayo5 said:
I actually don't like Mayweather, but I give respect where respect is due. And I was breaking down the fight to how I saw it.

I never said Oscar didn't put up desperate flurries. But he didn't really fight to the best of his ability. Neither of them did.

it's just seemed like you havent said one good thing about de la hoya and have been trying to play devil's advocate with anybody who didnt bow down to mayweather after the fight, apologies.

Mayo5

Established Member
It's ok apology accepted. There is about 4 threads on this forum about the fight, and I lose track of them. But yes on one of them, I gave him full credit for what he deserved.

Users who are viewing this thread