Matrix Subframe Connectors

Ryushin

Established Member
I think the weight savings is even higher then that. Hank told me chromoly was 60% lighter then steel. So it should weigh about 24 pounds. I guess I should put this in perspective. Because chromoly is so much stronger, thinner walled steel is used to provide the same strength of non chromoly steel. Both steels weigh the same.

Last edited:

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Ahh so a 60% savings, not 60% of the weight. Damn, then that is significant, 36 pounds less. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Ryushin

Established Member
Hank sent me more pictures and these are high res. I'm getting very excited looking at these. I can tell I made the correct choice right now. Go to here to see the pictures:
Index of /cobra/subframes

Hanks comments in the e-mail he sent me:
Here are pictures of the passenger-side SFC assembly, welded onto the car. You can see how we bent some of the crossbraces to allow them to clear the brake and fuel lines. The crossbraces on the driver-side will mostly be straight.

You will also notice that we alternated welding the main tube directly to the subframe and welding tabs between the main tube and the subframe. From our experience in building and inspecting NHRA-certified chrom-moly cages and chassis to SFI specs, inspectors do not like to see long, continuous welds along a length of chrom-moly tube as this creates an extended heat affect zone which can make the tube brittle and weakened in that area. We borrowed from this concept for the SFCs and alternated between the direct welding and the tabs.

We do not quench any welds with water, as that can also make the chrom-moly tube brittle. So, we weld slowly and watch the heat accumulation, with one of us welding as another watches inside the car to monitor the amount of heat that radiates into the body. All welds affecting a chrom-moly tube are TIG-welded.

We are almost finished fitting the crossbraces for the driver-side, and will then weld that side. I plan to be finished with the fabrication this afternoon, and then we will mask-off the underbody and paint the SFCs black. If you have time and would like to stop by and see them, that’d be great. Thanks!

Hank

Hanksville Hot Rods, Inc.
In-house mandrel bending
Custom-fitted exhaust, headers and roll cages
Denver exhaust, roll cages and race car fabrication, mandrel bending, mufflers & catalytic converters - Hanksville Hot Rods

Ryushin

Established Member
Another e-mail from Hank:
Thank you for the posts on the forum. I will weigh the driver-side assembly prior to welding, so we can double that and get the total weight of the kit.

I have begun writing a detailed installation guide and am excited about the opportunity to offer this as a weld-together kit. I'll work on pricing for this over the weekend. I do expect it to be in the $500-$600 ballpark, so it will not be a good option for everyone. However, thinking about value and not just price, I believe that it will be a good choice for customers like you who place a premium on high quality, low weight and an extremely tight fit.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
If the subframe connectors are made of chromoly and are lighter than steel subframe connectors of the same size, they aren't as stiff. Stiffness is the only reason for this mod. Chromoly isn't lighter than steel, but it is "stronger."

Here's some good info on chromoly vs. steel subframe connectors. Pay attention to post# 36 and 38. For all intents and purposes, Jack Hidley IS Maximum Motorsports.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/717270-difference-subframe-connectors-2.html#post9967133

greengt88

Established Member
I'm going to add the stifflers web braces and jacking rails to my existing MM subs. I drive a vert so I don't think it will hurt.

Ryushin

Established Member
Here at the shop now. Took about 20 high res pictures with my Evo 4g phone and I uploaded them to my server using the phone.

Subframes look awesome in person. Can't wait to drive the car home.

SlowSVT

Established Member
There is no difference in weight between chromoly and mild steel. The weight savings occurs because you can use thinner wall material. In defection chromoly has the same strength as mild steel. Chromoly has a higher yield strength and won't permanently deform as easy.

He's welding "weight on the wheels" right. Make sure he is constantly checking that the doors close. That's a long span getting welded where shrinking can occur. After he's done installing these I would not have him paint it. Bring the car home and clean the welds yourself, inspect every place that has been welded and see where the paint has been burned off even inside the rocker panels. A shop will just hit what they can see with a wire brush and rattle can it so it looks good and call it a day. YOU are worried about corrosion. Fail to do this and you have a perfect spot for rust to get a foothold on the car.

From the pictures I did not see the entire sub-frame though I did not look at all of them. Could you point me to a photo with a wider field of view?

Ryushin

Established Member
I'm watching them mask it off to paint it right now. They are ..meticiulous. I will make sure there is no chance for rust to occur. The tubes are capped off as well. I'll pick out a pic when I get home. My upload on my DSL just is not fast enough.

It is on a drive on lift.

Last edited:

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
I'll throw another monkey wrench in the gears:

Chassis Stiffening FIT System 1994-2004 Mustang

Supposedly the kit is just over 40 pounds. Good looking piece of kit, can't find many owners and zero reviews. I may have to be the test mule.

FITSYSTEM.jpg

DSC03823.2.JPG

DSC03826.JPG

DSC03827.1.JPG

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
That looks better then the Han's or Kenny Brown. If you don't want a chromoly custom set up, I would choose that then. As for mine, it made a night and day difference. Though I think all full length subframes make a difference and it is a required mod.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
That looks better then the Han's or Kenny Brown. If you don't want a chromoly custom set up, I would choose that then. As for mine, it made a night and day difference. Though I think all full length subframes make a difference and it is a required mod.

I have a vert so I am considered a "special needs" vehicle. I am calling them today to verify the weight and see if I can get a discount. If so, I may have to pull the trigger.

I read on here that they send them already painted, but tape off the areas you are suppose to weld. So when you get the kit, you just pull the tape off. :rockon:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I have a vert so I am considered a "special needs" vehicle. I am calling them today to verify the weight and see if I can get a discount. If so, I may have to pull the trigger.

I read on here that they send them already painted, but tape off the areas you are suppose to weld. So when you get the kit, you just pull the tape off. :rockon:

You are 27 posts behind...

Ryushin

Established Member
Just for reference, because Hank might ask me. What made you choose this kit over the one he is building? I know cost is going to be a big factor. Mine cost me $1200 total. Though I was the guinea pig for this so the cost was higher. Though the Stifflers kit seems to be the best pre-welded get available.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Oh Ryushin I haven't chosen anything yet. I am still waiting for more info on Hank's kit. Price, what all is included, etc. But you have to remember, for $420 for something already welded, that is cheaper than what you said Hank's kit will cost plus will require less labor to install. Weight difference seems to be about 14 pounds.

I am still a month or so away from ordering, so nothing firm yet.

Ryushin

Established Member
I think he's at least a month away from having a kit set up for sell. He wants to take his notes and make two preliminary kits to install on a 2001 GT and another Mustang to make sure everything is ironed out before selling it. The machine he uses is computer controlled will bend the pipes exactly each time. He just wants to make sure there is no major differences between mustangs. I think it would be good if he can get a hold of a convertible as well.

Users who are viewing this thread