manual to auto guys

acrbill

Established Member
I know that there are several of us and several threads on the subject but I was looking to make a support group of sorts.

If you are traditionally a manual car driver and bought an auto 2011+ or if you bought a 2011 manual and traded for an auto.

Here is the deal. (please excuse the scattered thoughts and long winded rants)

I made the move about 5-6 months ago because I was having ongoing issues with my manual trans 2011. I heard the great things about the auto so I decided to make the jump.

I was never one to complain about using a clutch in traffic so driving the auto is no huge benefit in that regard.

The more I drive the car the more bummed out I get that it is an auto.

Being a manual trans driver for my whole life I have what I like to consider very good car control. With the auto that is pretty much out the window.

I was pulling out of a parking garage today and gave it a bit of gas to get the back end to step out. With the manual it would be smooth and controlled as I modulated the clutch and throttle. With the auto I have to give it a bit more throttle and when the car steps out too much I feel a total lack of control. If you roll off the throttle too much the car upshifts and you can no longer steer with the throttle.

With an exhaust the car sounds like a pickup truck.

no more rev horn. I can honestly say that I have never honked my horn out of anger and have only a few times tapped it to alert a driver that the light has changed. All of my cars have been loud so I would give them the rev horn. Some guy about to change lanes into you? Give him a blip of the throttle and he backs off.

No more intersection antics. Coming up to an intersection in 3rd and the light turns yellow. Now I dip into the throttle and the car responds 12 seconds later with a downshift. Before I would go WOT whilst downshifting to second which would rocket the car through the intersection.

I find myself manually moving the gears in some instances just to I can avoid waiting for the downshift.

How are you other manual trans converts dealing with your auto?

Bud

Established Member
I put a blower on it and called it a day. I have stock exhaust and don't care about sound, and I stop at yellow lights. Never been big on cornering and even if I was I wouldn't push it that hard on the street to where gear/power control would become an issue for safety and ticket reasons.

SicShelby09

Banned
Get a tune to firm up those shifts. Maybe a stall. The auto can be fun, pending you get the parts to make it fun. My wifes uncle got one of those slap stick shifters installed on his car, and its a blast. Manual shifting without the third pedal. His was installed on his 05 GT.

JerryC

Established Member
The more I drive the car the more bummed out I get that it is an auto.

Being a manual trans driver for my whole life I have what I like to consider very good car control. With the auto that is pretty much out the window.

I was pulling out of a parking garage today and gave it a bit of gas to get the back end to step out. With the manual it would be smooth and controlled as I modulated the clutch and throttle. With the auto I have to give it a bit more throttle and when the car steps out too much I feel a total lack of control. If you roll off the throttle too much the car upshifts and you can no longer steer with the throttle.

I know what you're saying but I also want throw a dig to all the manual guys that say driving an auto is so easy it's for girls.

If you could fully manual shift the auto it would be a lot different. But the 11-12's are too slow on full throttle shifts for that. 13's may have that fixed with select shift.

A tune should speed up the downshifts for you.

Try turning hill assist on and see if like that a little better.

I second the motion for the blower.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Get a tune to firm up those shifts. Maybe a stall. The auto can be fun, pending you get the parts to make it fun. My wifes uncle got one of those slap stick shifters installed on his car, and its a blast. Manual shifting without the third pedal. His was installed on his 05 GT.

He had an SMG pump installed?

drewzx3

Established Member
I've always owned a manual but after I drove one I did not like it so I went auto. My friend traded his manual in for an auto and doesnt regret it. Sometimes I wish I had a manual though.

SicShelby09

Banned
He had an SMG pump installed?

say what>? All I know is he would shift it back, and pull some handle on it. Then it would be in manual mode, and he would just push the whole stick back and forth to shift. He would pound it forward and back and it would just slam gears. Pretty cool. Not sure exactly what it was, but he called it a slap stick.

acrbill

Established Member
I use the hill assist all the time. It definitely makes it better to drive around town. I have had two different tunes on my car. The American Muscle tune was insane. It shifted too damn hard sometimes and the throttle programming was super edgy. I had some issues with the trans getting confused so I switched over the a VMP tune. It seems far more docile but lacks the crazyness of the AM. I heard AM has since fixed the issue so I may give them another go.

I don't think putting a looser converter in will help anything, in fact it will probably exacerbate the problem.

LOL @ Riptide. They may win drag races and let me put an impressive time in my sig but my car is a daily driver.

Deuce, if you keep stopping at yellow lights you will eventually get rear ended LOL. I use the common sense mod to make the decision to go or slow when approaching an intersection.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I use the hill assist all the time. It definitely makes it better to drive around town. I have had two different tunes on my car. The American Muscle tune was insane. It shifted too damn hard sometimes and the throttle programming was super edgy. I had some issues with the trans getting confused so I switched over the a VMP tune. It seems far more docile but lacks the crazyness of the AM. I heard AM has since fixed the issue so I may give them another go.

I don't think putting a looser converter in will help anything, in fact it will probably exacerbate the problem.

LOL @ Riptide. They may win drag races and let me put an impressive time in my sig but my car is a daily driver.

Deuce, if you keep stopping at yellow lights you will eventually get rear ended LOL. I use the common sense mod to make the decision to go or slow when approaching an intersection.

just sell it and get a '13 Track pack GT, my shifting issues are about 98% gone!

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
If my Mustang was a dedicated drag car, brought to the track on the trailer...it would be an auto. That is about all they are good for. I hate them on the street. I like to row gears, even if it costs me a few tenths at the track. It is just a more visceral experience, and more rewarding when done well.

Mike

DIB5.0

Established Member
This happened to my cousin also. Very depressed. Even tried Prozac. No help. So he shot himself. Stick envy can be a bitch!

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
the only auto besides my lighting that i actually had fun driving was a 2000 formula WS6 with a reverse manual valve body... pretty much like driving around a stick.. oh and it had a huge ass stall and cam so it sounded killer. (a buddies car i dont know details on it)

TheYeti

Established Member
I do love my auto. Whenever I want to have a spirited drive...I use the hill assist. A tune will help sure up the shifts, which I dont have yet, but I do have fun with the auto. Do I wish that it was a manual sometimes? Yes but when I had a manual, I also wished my car was an auto sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread