manual to auto guys

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
I can see where an auto can get boring, but i don't miss shifting in stand still traffic one bit. The manual was pretty fun to drive on a stock tune for a while and the auto is almost a must tune at this point with only 500 miles on the odo. Slow shifts and throttle response with the auto, although i haven't played with the hill assist at all so i may try that this afternoon.

hand-filer

Established Member
If my Mustang was a dedicated drag car, brought to the track on the trailer...it would be an auto. That is about all they are good for. I hate them on the street. I like to row gears, even if it costs me a few tenths at the track. It is just a more visceral experience, and more rewarding when done well.

Mike

Couldn't have said it better myself Mike. Sums it up perfectly.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
If my Mustang was a dedicated drag car, brought to the track on the trailer...it would be an auto. That is about all they are good for. I hate them on the street. I like to row gears, even if it costs me a few tenths at the track. It is just a more visceral experience, and more rewarding when done well.

Mike

This. I love my manual, and this transmission in the 5.0s is one of the best performance car sticks I've driven. I'll never own a slushbox sporty car. It just kills all the fun to me.

Yellow03snake

Established Member
I like my auto, aside from the fact even tuned it takes 15 minutes to downshift into the proper gear at speed, makes roll racing almost impossible.

stang1971

Established Member
i traded a black m6 for my current gb a6 NO REGRETS... after the tune and stall its a blast to drive... mine downshifts just as fast as if i had a manual... if im going 60 and wanna play or pass someone.. half throttle and 1/2 sec later its hauling ass. i have a amazon tune and a circle d stall and its a blast to drive. Mine doesnt take very long at all to downshift.

acrbill

Established Member
I sold my daily driver 2007 V6 Mustang and my S2000 when I bought my first 2011. I really should have kept the S2k and bought an auto right out of the gate. Now that I am financially stuck with one car I am bumming.

11dsgGT

Established Member
I really liked the way my Mt-82 shifted, but it was garbage. The transmission broke two different times and I purchased my auto.

Since I started driving Ive driven manual cars, so the curve to driving an auto was very steep. I still shift my auto to neutral when coming to a stop just because of habit, so learning to control throttle and gear changes seem like a whole new experience, because I had to re-learn (switching from 1-2-3 under full throttle is not easy) shifting since its so smooth with the auto. Now, Im pretty sure that driving an auto like a stick is bad for the transmission, but thats what made me cope with the change, now shifting is minimal and throttle input is what I focus on.

I use my 99GT with a TKO-500 to shift angrily. I can shift that bastard as hard and as mean as anyone can possibly imagine, so I think you need a manual car like mine to take your anger out on. :rolling:

cdog1157

Established Member
If I want to keep a stang then I'm gonna end up having to trade into an auto due to knee problems. I'm wanting grabber blue but that race red looks really nice on the 13's too, decisions decisions. Probably just get a base model this time and add the upgrades I want because I don't use the SYNC and the ambient lighting gets on my nerves sometimes so I usually just keep it turned off.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Don't like your auto, let's trade for my non-whining MT82. I'm half serious.. wonder what kind of wiring PITA that'd be, off to the diagrams.

I initially thought from the title that this thread was going to be about those who have swapped to an auto which is a very small number.

ViciousJay

Established Member
If I want to keep a stang then I'm gonna end up having to trade into an auto due to knee problems. I'm wanting grabber blue but that race red looks really nice on the 13's too, decisions decisions. Probably just get a base model this time and add the upgrades I want because I don't use the SYNC and the ambient lighting gets on my nerves sometimes so I usually just keep it turned off.

this does? the only interior thing that bugs the crap out of me is i cant change the stero lights to match the gauges, ford i mean really you made it for the dash and couldnt pull it over to the radio!? :fm:

Users who are viewing this thread