Manual or auto?

Kiohtee

Established Member
What are the thoughts on the 15+ manual paddle shifting? To be honest I have not even used mine but have only had the car about 4 months. Another aspect is the different modes the auto transmission has which also I am limited in knowledge on. My 11 nor any previous had these fancy gadgets.

I have found personally that leaving the transmission in drive and letting the car do its own thing makes for a faster experience. The exception to that may be when you're on a road course or hitting the turns in the mountain or something of that nature.

And unless there's something sketchy in my tune, selecting your gear in manual mode and putting it back to drive once WOT doesn't make for a pleasant experience either, as the car will automatically shoot to fifth or sixth and then downshift to the correct gear. This is something I've yet to ask my tuner about, but will now since its on my mind. Lol

blk02edge

Established Member
Whoever is making the argument that an auto doesn't guarantee a win if the opposing, presumably manual, car has more power/mods/etc.; well no crap. But 9.8/10 times, two cars similarly modded, weighing roughly the same, with the only difference being the transmissions, I put my money on the automatic. I traded my MT-82 '11 GT in on a '17 6R80 GT partially because I was tired of the S197 platform and partially because I wanted an auto because I was tired of breaking stuff at the track.

MT-82 + DR's + 3.73's + 150 shot of nitrous = many a bad night.

Regardless, while I miss my old car, I wouldn't trade my S550 for it. My S550 is the superior car all around and with the 6R80 and nearly same mods, much much much faster.
I just never see consitently fair match ups.. I also live nowhere near a straight line anymore so i could be out of touch with whats normal in other areas but.. Oh well in my experience an auto guarantees nothing other than a less than stellar driver a decent time. i dont need to beat that horse anymore

DarkMach1

Established Member
What are the thoughts on the 15+ manual paddle shifting? To be honest I have not even used mine but have only had the car about 4 months. Another aspect is the different modes the auto transmission has which also I am limited in knowledge on. My 11 nor any previous had these fancy gadgets.

I normally use them for roll racing. Having the transmission shiftdown 3+ gears on the hit is not something I like. But shifting is a little slower.

stangfreak

Established Member
Here you go, Pussy's

Its impressive but not everyone can drive like that or manage a stick car with all that power. It gets violent. watching videos is one thing but doing it is another. My friend has a twin turbo 03 cobra swapped notchback with a 6 speed magnum. He is going for the fastest 6 speed mustang record and knows all about that blue notch. He is getting very close to that time. And its not easy at all and taking a lot of time and perfect conditions.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
It's the casual driving that sucks with the auto...boring. I enjoy the manual a ton more when I'm not racing. 95% of the time it's spirited driving for me.

DarkMach1

Established Member
One bit of oil on track while he’s shifting,spinning and making steering corrections and he ends up in the spectator side of the wall.

Georgie

Established Member
Its impressive but not everyone can drive like that or manage a stick car with all that power. It gets violent. watching videos is one thing but doing it is another. My friend has a twin turbo 03 cobra swapped notchback with a 6 speed magnum. He is going for the fastest 6 speed mustang record and knows all about that blue notch. He is getting very close to that time. And its not easy at all and taking a lot of time and perfect conditions.

I belive this guy used to have a sexy red notch with Roush wheels....ouffff what a nice fox that was...

kaz109

Established Member
My MT-82 feels better and has been more reliable than my T-56 Magnum currently. I didn't have a tailshaft seal blow out of my MT-82 at only 300 miles.

This right here is exactly why I don't really care about trying to build some super high HP car, in this day and age where 1000rwhp is the minimum of having a fast car, I'd rather be able to enjoy driving.

Yes, because the people who buy them to show off on instagram can't drive stick. Look at the last generations of supercars in resale value auto vs manual, the manual cars are always worth more money.
Last part of this post is such a naive statement. I really hope this was a drunk post

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Grg01.jpg

Both. Car on left = manual. Car on right = auto

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
I think I would choose auto if it’s for racing pursposes, but for the fun factor got to go with manual all day long.

ENV²

Established Member
Honestly I put a true sequential up there in my choices also.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RSbeast

Established Member
58F83373-F933-435A-87DC-72DA320E7DAE.jpeg
I like my stick shift car thanks.

There are also things called turns that I enjoy greatly. Auto sucks the fun right up and I want constant 1:1 input/feel. I’m also in constant control of my machine with a standard trans. Every input is mine. That’s what driving is all about.

Users who are viewing this thread