Malcolm's Teksid Cobra rebuild thread

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Very cool. My son is 2.5 and he has "helped" me with some things around the house recently. He LOVES anything car or truck related. I can't wait until I can have him with me in the garage and teach him what my dad taught me. Puts a smile on my face just thinking about it :)

MalcolmV8

Established Member
How hard is it to figure out where all those electrical connections, cables, and hoses go after you take them all off?

Seems super simple to me. I don't even label the hoses, wires or electrical. Just by looking at any harness I know exactly where it goes. That's just me, if you have doubts put a piece of masking tape on and label it. I do bag all bolts in zip lock bags though and label those as that would be a nightmare sorting through that trying to figure out.

NCBigDaddy

To bad you aren't closer I would pay your son to tear down my '01 Cobra engine! Looks like he's really into it and theirs nothing like having a hobby you and your son can share!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
To bad you aren't closer I would pay your son to tear down my '01 Cobra engine! Looks like he's really into it and theirs nothing like having a hobby you and your son can share!

lol he's loving it so much he'd do it for free :) Currently waiting on parts but every day I get the "So what can we do on it today?" haha.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
New transmission to go with new motor build. T56 Magnum which of course has the TR6060 guts inside.

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

It looks a lot longer in this pic but I measured 1 1/16" longer.

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

New yolk to go with new transmission. Stock is 28 spline output and Magnum is 31.

IMG_4095.JPG

New yolk is longer too. I haven't measured it yet but I'll need to take that into consideration along with transmission length differences when having the drive shaft shortened.

IMG_4096.JPG

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
very cool Malcolmv8 :beer:

when my time comes I am also going to try going out the bottom. when going out the bottom, 2 questions:

1) does the hood need to come off?
2) does the a/c system need to be cracked/discharged? (enough room to move compressor forward?)

thanks! and best of luck, great learning experience for your boy!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
very cool Malcolmv8 :beer:

when my time comes I am also going to try going out the bottom. when going out the bottom, 2 questions:

1) does the hood need to come off?
2) does the a/c system need to be cracked/discharged? (enough room to move compressor forward?)

thanks! and best of luck, great learning experience for your boy!

No as long as your roof is high enough you could leave the hood on. I just found it so much easier to remove and clear out the way.
Yes we had to disconnect the a/c. I knew this would be a problem a head of time and discharged the system prior.

What are you doing with the old trans?

It's already gone.

cj428mach

Established Member
What are you doing with the old trans?

Its going in my car. :)

Those are some great pictures that show the difference between the two although I'm not seeing much on the Magnum that would cause the floor clearance issues. I was talking to TRBO_VNM about the Magnums and he said you can usually just leave the floor alone and grind some ears off the tranny but they look the same to me.

Are you going to have a new driveshaft built or shorten the stocker? I wonder how many driveshafts can work on aluminum ones and do a good enough job to hold the power a well built terminator can make.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Its going in my car. :)

Those are some great pictures that show the difference between the two although I'm not seeing much on the Magnum that would cause the floor clearance issues. I was talking to TRBO_VNM about the Magnums and he said you can usually just leave the floor alone and grind some ears off the tranny but they look the same to me.

Are you going to have a new driveshaft built or shorten the stocker? I wonder how many driveshafts can work on aluminum ones and do a good enough job to hold the power a well built terminator can make.

Look at the very last comparison pic I posted. At the end of the "no oil tag" you can see two "ears" sticking out. Look at the stock T56 above it, the top ear is removed from the factory.

The shifter clearance I think is caused by the huge red plate and bulky bolts sticking up top. I'll find out soon enough.

Yes I'll be using the stock driveshaft and just having it shortened appropriately.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I'm curious if you plan on doing anything to the block that helps keeps the freeze plugs in tact? This is something that is rarely mentioned in Teksid builds, but is obviously easy to address while things are torn apart.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I'm curious if you plan on doing anything to the block that helps keeps the freeze plugs in tact? This is something that is rarely mentioned in Teksid builds, but is obviously easy to address while things are torn apart.

I had not intended. Can you elaborate? Freeze plugs blowing out is a problem?

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Sure. Yes, freeze plugs blowing out has led to some major problems with Teksid blocks. I wouldn't call it a problem, per say, since it doesn't seem to happen very often. However it's has happened and had led to motor failure. It's happened to RaceBronco twice, and another guy on ModularFords once during a pass down the 1/4 mile. The block completely emptied it's water and coolant which he did come in contact with with his tires. :eek:

While Teksid's can handle a ton of abuse and this issue hasn't been largely discussed, it does happen. For me personally this would be a 'must do' mod with the block. It would be a good idea to have a discussion with your machine shop on options to secure them in place better.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sure. Yes, freeze plugs blowing out has led to some major problems with Teksid blocks. I wouldn't call it a problem, per say, since it doesn't seem to happen very often. However it's has happened and had led to motor failure. It's happened to RaceBronco twice, and another guy on ModularFords once during a pass down the 1/4 mile. The block completely emptied it's water and coolant which he did come in contact with with his tires. :eek:

While Teksid's can handle a ton of abuse and this issue hasn't been largely discussed, it does happen. For me personally this would be a 'must do' mod with the block. It would be a good idea to have a discussion with your machine shop on options to secure them in place better.

I saw a freeze plug blow off on a Honda on the dyno once but that's about it. Good to know on the teksids lol. So what do people do to secure them better? or is it just a matter of replacing them all with new ones?

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I'm not quite sure that there is one single 'best' way to keep them secure. I believe RaceBronco had his freeze plug holes tapped and installed deeper plugs so that they 'screwed' in to secure them in place. It was something close to that. I don't have time to find the thread he mentioned this in right now but I can later tonight if he doesn't chime in by then.

It was unclear what the other guy did who lost his in the middle of a track pass. He never returned in his thread to say exactly what he did. Some suggestions that came up was taps on the free plug holes at the 9 and 3 o'clock position with a bar running across to secure them. It was said that that this was mentioned in Sean Hyland's book as well. I'll dig up the threads later and post links so you have more info. I can only imagine spending the money to do this right like you are, and lose the engine to a freeze plug.

Users who are viewing this thread