Making Progress

BMCGC

Established Member
The day I brought her home six months ago and today.

Lowered, shocks, struts, naked decklid, 17x9 Cobra rims 275-40-17 Kumho directional tread, 96 grill, Mach 1 rear end.

Did the front suspension tonight, at 156k still had the original front struts, noticed the ball joints need to be replaced. The radiator hoses are a bit soft.

On a positive note, i replaced the locking gas cap with the correct Ford cap and about 2 weeks later the check engine light went off.

Lots and lots and lots left to do.

Attachments

• Cobra3.JPG
    Cobra3.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Lowered.jpg
    Lowered.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 151

Tillerman77

Established Member
The day I brought her home six months ago and today.

Lowered, shocks, struts, naked decklid, 17x9 Cobra rims 275-40-17 Kumho directional tread, 96 grill, Mach 1 rear end.

Did the front suspension tonight, at 156k still had the original front struts, noticed the ball joints need to be replaced. The radiator hoses are a bit soft.

On a positive note, i replaced the locking gas cap with the correct Ford cap and about 2 weeks later the check engine light went off.

Lots and lots and lots left to do.

Lots of good work there! Which springs, shocks and struts did you go with?

BMCGC

Established Member
What did you do to make them look so good?

Sent from my SM-T580 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Pealed off the old cloth, bought 1/2 yard speaker cloth from JoAnn Fabrics, used spay adhesive to attach new cloth.

the two smaller grills had clips, one of them had push nuts, one of them I had to use my trusty Harbor Freight plastic welder ( sodering iron) and melt it off. The two larger grills I will melt back on.

98 Cobra Vert

Established Member
Pealed off the old cloth, bought 1/2 yard speaker cloth from JoAnn Fabrics, used spay adhesive to attach new cloth.

the two smaller grills had clips, one of them had push nuts, one of them I had to use my trusty Harbor Freight plastic welder ( sodering iron) and melt it off. The two larger grills I will melt back on.
Awesome, thanks for the info, as I will be redoing mine in the next few months when I redo the whole interior and sound system.

Sent from my SM-T580 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BMCGC

Established Member
I had a set of 94 GT vert springs with 55,000 miles on them. I cut one coil off and used Geo Tracker shocks and Fox struts. I kept the oem isolators on the bottoms since they were in good shape and put new polys on the tops.

I decided to try that route because I put FMS C springs on the 94 and hated the ride. It was so harsh that I didnt want to drive the car.

Im very happy with the current setup. Ive put about 50 miles on it, I like the stance, low enough, any lower and I cant get in my driveway. The ride seems to be about what the car should have been from the factory, although I took off 155k original shocks and struts that were flat wore out.

The front springs on this car had 8 coils, the 94 GT vert had 7 coils, so it has 6 coils now.

If these settle more or the ride goes south, I will try something else.

Attachments

• Cobra8.jpg
    Cobra8.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Cobra7.jpg
    Cobra7.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 109

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your Cobra looks really good. Nice work so far. It's always nice to see someone do improvements/refreshments on an older Cobra. Stance looks good and I like your wheel choice. Well done! ;)

Tillerman77

Established Member
I had a set of 94 GT vert springs with 55,000 miles on them. I cut one coil off and used Geo Tracker shocks and Fox struts. I kept the oem isolators on the bottoms since they were in good shape and put new polys on the tops.

I decided to try that route because I put FMS C springs on the 94 and hated the ride. It was so harsh that I didnt want to drive the car.

Im very happy with the current setup. Ive put about 50 miles on it, I like the stance, low enough, any lower and I cant get in my driveway. The ride seems to be about what the car should have been from the factory, although I took off 155k original shocks and struts that were flat wore out.

The front springs on this car had 8 coils, the 94 GT vert had 7 coils, so it has 6 coils now.

If these settle more or the ride goes south, I will try something else.
Interesting observation on the C springs, which are a little stiffer (650 F/200-300 R) than the stock Bullitt and Mach 1 springs (600 F/250 R). Thanks for the info.

BMCGC

Established Member
Interesting observation on the C springs, which are a little stiffer (650 F/200-300 R) than the stock Bullitt and Mach 1 springs (600 F/250 R). Thanks for the info.
At the time I didnt know about G-springs. 1.2 drop, 500/570 and 170/310 for verts. Those may have been better, but Im still happy with the cut coils. Thats how we did it back before 1-click shopping bought you any and everything.

BMCGC

Established Member
Finally have time to tackle the new carpet install.

I made the 2 hour trip to Mustangs Unlimited to buy the carpet. They insisted that this is the correct carpet for my 97 Cobra. I insisted that their carpet is for 99+ Mustangs. What say you?

Attachments

• carpet.jpg
    carpet.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 112

BMCGC

Established Member
Finally have time to tackle the new carpet install.

I made the 2 hour trip to Mustangs Unlimited to buy the carpet. They insisted that this is the correct carpet for my 97 Cobra. I insisted that their carpet is for 99+ Mustangs. What say you?

Im leaning toward just keeping it.

BMCGC

Established Member
Carpet is 90% installed. Got the console and seats back in, just need to finish up on the kick panels and door sills. Its molded pretty good, theres a couple places where Im going to put a bit of padding in to smooth out a wrinkle but overall its decent for aftermarket carpet.

Users who are viewing this thread