Making a list, dealer almost has car back together.

lvxlr8n

Established Member
Hello all,

Just got word that my engine is back together. (Ford directed that the dealer replace the drivers side head due to a noisey vavle guide. Probably due to the half of the keeper that was missing from the vavle caused uneven spring pressure and the valve prematurely wore out the valve guide) The tech working on it is off today, and just needs to be put back into the car. So with a few of you having experience having the subframe with engine out of the car, I had some questions. Would the car need to be realigned after having that subframe assembly out? How picky should I be if the paint is chipped or scratched in the engine bay? I had just changed the oil before taking my car in again. Since they had the engine apart to replace the head, should I make sure they used brand new oil and filter? Back story, last time they drained the oil from the engine, they reused it. It was very dirty. Asking for your help on what I should look for. I would hate to get it home and then discover something that I didn't think of.

So I am hopeful the car would be done by Friday if no problems are found and the engine was put back together correctly. Thanks in advance!

jenkins_1120

Established Member
it will need to be re aligned. they should use new oil if you paid for it, if you didnt they might just top it off and drive it out. not sure about the scratches.

paluka21

Established Member
So as long as the oil that was in the car doesn't have any contamination of metal chips, I don't see a big deal about reusing it, so as long as it's measured and full.
As far as paint chips or damage go; when pulling a motor and disassembling/reassembling a motor, things can and do happen to a car to cause blemishes and scratches to the paint. However, I would expect the car to be returned to me in the same condition it was in before they started working on it. They have protective fender covers they use when working on the car, therefore I can't imagine how many dings or dents there will be. However, there may be some scratches to your engine bay paint.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
1. I would ensure there is new oil in there. Cheap insurance.
2. Expect scratches in the engine bay. This would be normal in my assumption but don't let them off the hook if their are serious gouges, dents or holes visible in the engine bay.

lvxlr8n

Established Member
This is good info. Thanks,

Before I took the car to the dealership, I did a fresh coat of wax. Then I put down the blue painters tape on the fenders and door edges and rockers where the door is. I contacted 3M and they said it would be safe on the paint. I guess if the oil looks as dirty as the last time I took it I will demand it be replaced. After all this is a 5700mi engine, that has 100 miles on the new oil change. (had oil changed before that at 4700mi)

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Good to hear you are making progress. You want a new Oil / Filter change, on Ford.

Walk the car and check it closely before you take it.

When I had my Term. motor replaced by Ford under warranty, here is what I found before I took it home...

They didn't burp the coolant system and it over-heated and spit coolant all over the new motor. I told them 10 times, "No problem, we have the Ford pump"... Sure they did

Car wouldn't start : Battery cable was loose

Cable to the Brake sending unit wasn't plugged in

They took a huge gouge out of the back of my Hood. They left a tool there, and closed the hood... GRRR. They paid to repair and re-clear the whole hood

Look closely before you leave the Dealer, bring a friend... Good luck!!!

Sparko

Established Member
You are being extremely reasonable considering all you have been through. If it were my car I'd insist they change the oil and filter...the engine was apart....put in new oil and a new filter. I would also expect as a matter of Ford customer goodwill...again realizing all you have been through....that they totally detail the car for you before returning it to you.

You should get a medal for all you have been through ! I hope you enjoy your car and it's as trouble free as mine.

OKBandit

Established Member
Take a camera and take plenty of pictures. If you find something later you may have proof it was damaged at the time of pick up. Also good advice when you buy a new car before you take possession of it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Bring a second set of eyes (make sure it's a car guy) with a camera, double check everything with them before you sign anything and demand a fresh oil change.
Hope it all goes well.
-J

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Hello all,
Just got word that my engine is back together. (Ford directed that the dealer replace the drivers side head due to a noisy valve guide. Probably due to the half of the keeper that was missing from the valve caused uneven spring pressure and the valve prematurely wore out the valve guide) The tech working on it is off today, and just needs to be put back into the car. So with a few of you having experience having the subframe with engine out of the car, I had some questions. Would the car need to be realigned after having that subframe assembly out? How picky should I be if the paint is chipped or scratched in the engine bay? I had just changed the oil before taking my car in again. Since they had the engine apart to replace the head, should I make sure they used brand new oil and filter? Back story, last time they drained the oil from the engine, they reused it. It was very dirty. Asking for your help on what I should look for. I would hate to get it home and then discover something that I didn't think of.

So I am hopeful the car would be done by Friday if no problems are found and the engine was put back together correctly. Thanks in advance!
Thank you for the update, lvxlr8n!

Deysha

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Definately fresh oil and filter. Why woudn't they? They have opened up the motor. You could have gasket material, silicone, possible metal pieces from the missing keeper, etc.

I wouldn't get too concerned about scratches in the engine bay. That happens, just nothing serious.

Now, if on the outside that is a different story.

Glad it is getting back together and keep us updated!

Tom

lvxlr8n

Established Member
WELL... I got more bad news today! Yup! Like anything can go right... So they told me the car was back together, but they detected coolant leaking from the weep hole on the waterpump. So they are ordering a replacement waterpump. Ugh. Not sure the car will ever be the same. So much crap has been taken apart. So. Obviously it won't be done this weekend. No info on when I can expect the car to be done.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Thats when I would be lacking faith in the mechanic.
Sorry to hear, personally I would be pushing the car back to Ford at this point.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
This is a bummer to hear so many things going wrong, and the tech should have caught the leaking water pump when he pulled the timing cover off. Well I hope you get her back soon and all is well.

lvxlr8n

Established Member
Funny thing is, it didn't leak before I brought it there. So this somehow developed after they replaced the cylinder head.

Snoopy49

Established Member
It would be interesting to checkout the pump body for any cracks or other damage that may have occurred during the engine removal process.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Man very sorry to hear.
I try and stay optimistic, so I'm hoping you get it back running up to spec and enjoying how great a car it is.
-J

lvxlr8n

Established Member
I've tried to be optimistic believe me. But I'm getting to the end of my rope. Today the car has been at the dealership for 23 consecutive days, and a total of 36 days since June 23rd.

Users who are viewing this thread