Major Problems

got4valve

Established Member
about to burn this car .... i replaced my stock clutch with DFX with aluminum flywheel ... because i was doing the TOB and figured id do everything , replaced the TOB with OEM , replcaed roller bearing with OEM , clutch fork was in good shape , and the retainer sleeve was mint

got everything back in , drove 100 miles fine and well , and here is the friggin chatter noise coming from im assuming the brand new TOB

when i engage the clutch pedal just a tiny bit , the noise stops ....... my QUESTION is : Is this a clutch cable adjustment issue ? :fm:

racebronco2

Established Member
Adjust your clutch so that it applies just a little pressure on the throw-out bearing. I had the same problem and it ended being the clip on the pivot for the clutch fork was just a little bent and the clutch fork was vibrating. I was too lazy to pull it all apart again so i just adjusted the clutch til the next time i removed the tranny.

got4valve

Established Member
im figuring i should get a clutch quadrant thing .... do i also need to get a firewall adjuster ?

what ones are good

boatcop1

Established Member
Yes, Aftermarket clutch = you really need an firewall adjuster and quadrant. I have the UPR 3 hook and love it. Only use a Ford OEM cable. The aftermarket cables are garbage.

It sounds like your TOB is pressing against your PP fingers a bit too much almost to the point the clutch is almost engaging? how far down on the pedal do you have to press to engage the clutch?

With the DFX and aluminum flywheel odds are you will have some chatter but if it's as bad as you say something aint right. Did you get the LDC freeplay mod? That will help keep the TOB away from the fingers of the PP.

Chatter is caused mainly from the clutch disk grabbing the flywheel too agressivley. Adjusting your clutch is not hard once you have a good idea how it works, I put my car in the air once a week after my install to ensure the TOB was riding the sleeve exactly where i wanted it. I started out with my firewall aduster about 7 turns out, once the clutch was all broken in I am at only 4 turns out, TOB is 1/4" from the PP fingers, the freeplay mod holds it there perfectly, Pedal has about 1/4" of freeplay up top and engages fully at half pedal. If i slip the clutch (as too do a launch without spinning) i will get very minor chatter but for the most part its perfect. Trial and error bro. good luck

Last edited:

got4valve

Established Member
thanks bro that was the reply i was looking for .... im going right now to mustangs unlimited and getting the kit for the adjuster and quadrant

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
about to burn this car .... i replaced my stock clutch with DFX with aluminum flywheel ... because i was doing the TOB and figured id do everything , replaced the TOB with OEM , replcaed roller bearing with OEM , clutch fork was in good shape , and the retainer sleeve was mint

got everything back in , drove 100 miles fine and well , and here is the friggin chatter noise coming from im assuming the brand new TOB

when i engage the clutch pedal just a tiny bit , the noise stops ....... my QUESTION is : Is this a clutch cable adjustment issue ? :fm:

I have that exact same setup, and also had the exact same noise a couple times within about the first 100 miles. It never did it again after the 2 times, and I haven't messed with it since. Maybe I just got lucky. :lol1:

Boatcop1 sounds like he has the correct fix if it continues for you.

Here is a link to the MM adjuster too.. if you need one.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...age=product_info&cPath=50_162&products_id=500

Last edited:

got4valve

Established Member
okay guys , did the adjuster and quadrant , was still knocking ....... took the tranny down in rage , and found out the retainer sleeve was snapped off perfectly ..... finishing it up tonight :banana: just in time for ford fest in epping

Users who are viewing this thread