Maintenance schedule for low mileage Terminators

jpk

Established Member
Hi Folks,

For those with very low mileage Terminators, what sort of regular maintenance schedule are you following? I only drive maybe 1K a year in mine, and only have 23K on the odometer. I've been changing my oil annually with synthetic and every three or four years bringing it in for 30k service. Technically I'm now about due for another 30K/3yr service, and I'm wondering if I even need it. The last time I brought my car in and asked for a 30K service, the Ford service guys scratched their heads and were like, but you only have 19K on the odometer?!

So I am wondering what maintenance schedule you guys are following and what you are doing when, since time seems to be a bigger influence than miles on a garage queen.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Change the fuel filter an check the plugs an change or clean the air filter. That should be about it.

myslowstang

Established Member
Change the oil, thats it.
If you are ambitious, change the PS fluid and brake fluid.

Change the fuel filter an check the plugs an change or clean the air filter. That should be about it.

I agree with these guys. Oil, power steering, brake fluid, and antifreeze. It would be a good idea to replace the fuel filter every several years since you don't drive it very much. Also just look over the wiring, hoses, etc for dry rotting/cracking but I seriously doubt you'll have any issues with dry rotting at this point.

jpk

Established Member
Great, thanks for confirming. I will change the power steering fluid and antifreeze since I think it has been a while. I do get the fuel filter changed on occaision. I also keep fuel stabilizer in the gas tank on most fill ups.

These cars are awesome! The car has been fantastically reliable and nothing has worn out. I'm still amazed by how affordable a 400HP, 12 sec car was to buy and to still own. (Well, I guess I haven't included the amount of $$$ I've put into upgrading the suspension and tranny, but never mind.)

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Yeah, as mentioned above, it's also a good idea to check all the vac lines and the clamps on the intake side.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
Since we are talking about a coolant flush anyone got a good how-to for the 03/04?

I agree with the brake fluid flush. I did flush mine on my 1998 Explorer and it felt like a new brake system again and you wont believe how dirty a sealed system can get. I need to do it to my Cobra along with a coolant flush.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
yeap, 14k on mine...all i have done is change the oil annually and i did change the intercooler fluid when i did the heat exchange two years back

this year since the car is 10 years old, I'll probably start doing some additional maintenance.

I am still on the factory fuel filter!!

nol300

Established Member
Factory fuel filter here but I only have 6k miles on mine. I still have the original Mastercraft battery and works perfect of course I use a battery tender.

As mine sits in the garage and I clean all the time I am always wiping down engine and hoses and inspecting constantly as it gives me something to do and is the best way to know of any issues.

dom418

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but since our cars our 10 years old wouldn't all original fluids being changed be a good idea? Brake, power steering, supercharger, inter cooler, antifreeze, rear diff, trans? Or is this over kill?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have about the same mileage as you OP. I put around 1500 miles a year. But I'm very picky about my car! I bought it in april 2010 and already changed the fuel filter twice. Since I bought it I've only put a total of 4,500 miles on my car. You never know the full history of the car so I pretty much had EVERY fluid changed out except for the ps and brake fluid. I also change my oil once a year right when the car comes out of storage. I run royal purple hps 5w30.

BTW: changing the fuel filters are pretty simple and people shouldn't skimp out on doing this, especially on a forced induction car!!!

Last edited:

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Like everyone else, I agree with all the above. I have just over 20k on my '04. Oil change once a year, did fuel filter around 15k, change my plugs every year (NGK coppers are cheap), did coolant this year during new h/e install and blower install. Next year I think I should bleed the brakes. Other than what I mentioned, just keep an eye on things. Pretty much goes hand in hand with car nuts...high or low mileage.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
I'm at 21k,

I've changed all fluids and plugs at 15k'

BTW on my 4th Ford alternator, 2nd battery and just last week replaced the passenger side lift piston for the roof. Oh 4 sets of nittos and on my first set of MT.

jpk

Established Member
Factory fuel filter here but I only have 6k miles on mine. I still have the original Mastercraft battery and works perfect of course I use a battery tender.

As mine sits in the garage and I clean all the time I am always wiping down engine and hoses and inspecting constantly as it gives me something to do and is the best way to know of any issues.

Yep, I'm still on the original Ford battery as well! I'm stunned it's lasted this long.

Heck, I'm stunned everything that is a wear item on this car has lasted as long as it has. I'm almost certainly jinxing myself right now, as something will blow up on me now that I have been praising the reliability of the car.

coketo

Silver Snake!!!
Established Member
I barely put miles on mine as well because of Military... but i make sure my oil gets change every 6 months with Full synthetic oil and also have it started at lease once a week

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm at 21k,

I've changed all fluids and plugs at 15k'

BTW on my 4th Ford alternator, 2nd battery and just last week replaced the passenger side lift piston for the roof. Oh 4 sets of nittos and on my first set of MT.

Wow, 4 alternators and you only have 21K miles on the motor. I know they're notoriously prone to failure, but 4 is really high. How long have you had the current alternator? And was it new or rebuilt? Just curious.

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
Wow, 4 alternators and you only have 21K miles on the motor. I know they're notoriously prone to failure, but 4 is really high. How long have you had the current alternator? And was it new or rebuilt? Just curious.

Per my post below, April 2011 odo read 18k.

The stock unit went at 5k, next was 9.5k, then 14k and the last was @18k all replacements have been motorcraft.

Non pullied cobra!!

I'm not sure if ford rebuilds them or if they are new, I do know there is a core charge and the parts guy know's me by my first name..lol

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/770070-damn-alternator.html

Users who are viewing this thread