magnum powers, hows it work?

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
turbos are beautiful things...I couldnt believe how fast my srt was with that tiny turbo in there, I wouldnt believe it had I not owned one! If I ever go the turbo route again its gonna be on a GN, Ill keep the SC on the truck for the time being. I'm really just trying to get a gauge for what I can do on the stock block and stay safe. KB is very appealing, but the price of a ported eaton is quite appealing too. thats where the idea for the mp came in, but i dunno, I dont really wanna build the block, thats all.

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
Rob over on f150 online.com did a interseting comparison between a ported eaton and a MP and he said he got better numbers from his ported eaton than his MP. He only changed the blower out and everything else was the same. But If I had to choose it would be KB :bowdown:

orange2004cobra

Established Member
M.P.is far superior to a ported eaton..
Only someone who has not ownedam.P. or been in a truckequipped with one would think they were close to the same...
If you really want to know about M.P. Bowers, you need to call J.D.M.
Hell, I ran 12.38 in my 03 H.D. with my fact 20's on...
mods in sig..
just injectors, forged bottom end, and a M.P. @ 20 p.s.i.
no cams, heads, or nitro..
And my truck is alot heavier than a L.
my guess for those who think that the 2 are similar is the tunes must have been WAY off on the M.P. equipped truck, versus a spot on tune on the eaton...
there is a trick to tuningthe M.P.,it has to be spun hard, and dosent come on as quick as the K.B.
And as far as sound, its just s loud, if not louder, spinning @ 20 psi than my K.B. was spinning @ 20 psi on my 01 lightning.
just thought I would chime in..
L.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
orange2004cobra said:
Only someone who has not ownedam.P. or been in a truckequipped with one would think they were close to the same...
If you really want to know about M.P. Bowers, you need to call J.D.M.
Hell, I ran 12.38 in my 03 H.D. with my fact 20's on...
mods in sig..
just injectors, forged bottom end, and a M.P. @ 20 p.s.i.
no cams, heads, or nitro..
And my truck is alot heavier than a L.
my guess for those who think that the 2 are similar is the tunes must have been WAY off on the M.P. equipped truck, versus a spot on tune on the eaton...
there is a trick to tuningthe M.P.,it has to be spun hard, and dosent come on as quick as the K.B.
And as far as sound, its just s loud, if not louder, spinning @ 20 psi than my K.B. was spinning @ 20 psi on my 01 lightning.
just thought I would chime in..
L.
cool, thanks for the input. I'm not rebuilding my internals anytime soon though...so we'll see.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
orange2004cobra said:
Only someone who has not ownedam.P. or been in a truckequipped with one would think they were close to the same....

Have you read the thread in question, over at F150? They thread's author is a huge MP fan (and still is) and had a MP blower on his L. He swapped it for a ported Eaton for comparison sake, with Sal from PSP doing the dyno runs, and posted his results.

Check out the thread before you make such a statement.

Stewart

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Stewart_H said:
Have you read the thread in question, over at F150? They thread's author is a huge MP fan (and still is) and had a MP blower on his L. He swapped it for a ported Eaton for comparison sake, with Sal from PSP doing the dyno runs, and posted his results.

Check out the thread before you make such a statement.

Stewart

Heck Stewart, I dont need to read anything...
I have done all 3, Ported Eaton, K.B. and M.P.
And like I said earlier, Its all in the tune when your comparing them all...
L.

JJ@WMS

Banned
11.19@121 on a ported Eaton at only 15lbs of boost will make you think twice about a MP. Nothing special about the tune on that customers truck.

It takes 21lbs of boost and the secret stealth tune for an MP to run low 11's.

Rob and Sal's comparison is right on the money and the BS about the valve springs is just that..

JMHO

JJ@WMS

JJ? Did that eaton have heads/cams? As I posted before.....boost is what isnt being used by the engine. That eaton may have had a way more efficent head/cam setup. Also, the magnum stays alot cooler than an eaton. With a 6# lower and 2.7 upper Im only expecting to make around 16#'s of boost with ported heads and stage 2 cams.

JJ@WMS said:
11.19@121 on a ported Eaton at only 15lbs of boost will make you think twice about a MP. Nothing special about the tune on that customers truck.

It takes 21lbs of boost and the secret stealth tune for an MP to run low 11's.

Rob and Sal's comparison is right on the money and the BS about the valve springs is just that..

JMHO

JJ@WMS

And also, 21lbs to get low 11's. That sucks you would say something like that, because thats :bs:

21lbs. on poor flowing heads and stock cams. Same pulley with heads/cams with bring the boost down quite a bit.

Ofcourse there are people who are believers and non-believers. We will see about all this talk because soon I will be running a built block with JLP heads and cams with a MP. I like the price for what you get. You can spin the hell out a MP without having to pull out 5-6* timing like my truck did with a stock eaton. It was 104* outside today. :fm:

JJ@WMS

Banned
That Eaton L that went 11.19 had CNC heads and stage three cams.. 10lb lower pulley and 2.7 upper, it was 80 degrees on that run and it was mildly tuned. It did take the MM&FF truck running stripped at 4500lbs to run a 10.999 with 18-19lbs of boost according to their article. Yes, you can spin the MP harder to make more power, but the Eaton does make alot of torque that has been documented, even on the Cobra forums, those guys running a KB at 15lbs actually run slower than a ported eaton at 16-17lbs.

I'm sure the MP does perform, but I have yet to see one outrun a ported Eaton apples to apples.

JMHO.

JJ@WMS

I appreciate your comment, really. Thats the thing though. I cant stand my old eaton because there was NO top-end. Hopefully I will see something with this blower. If this doesnt work out Im getting a whipple or KB.

STL Lightning

Established Member
orange2004cobra said:
L.

Been there, done that. Owned one, had it dyno tuned by Sal, and it made the same power as my ported eaton. It's value seems to be in a very specific application that most people don't care about.

If someone wants to spend $1600 on something that actually performs, get a nitrous kit.

-Mark

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
orange2004cobra said:
Heck Stewart, I dont need to read anything...
I have done all 3, Ported Eaton, K.B. and M.P.
And like I said earlier, Its all in the tune when your comparing them all...
L.

Dude, just read the thread. If you had, you would realize you couldn't make this statement:

orange2004cobra said:

The threads author HAS owned both, and he posted the dyno tuning results in the thread. The numbers show the ported eaton and the MP are close to the same.

So, you're wrong. A man that HAS owned both, has made the statement you said couldn't be made.

Now, if you wanna post your opinion on the subject, that's fine. I wasn't arguing against your opinion. I was merely pointing out that your statement...

orange2004cobra said:

...was incorrect.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

I'm not arguing which blower is better.

Stewart

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Everything veryone says here is bsedon their opinion..
Jesus, thats how we all learn here..
I have never seen a eaton truck runover 600H.P. @ the tire, i have seen a M.P. truck do it...
And asfar as apples to apples, I dont think a eaton truck with ported heads and cams compared to a M.P. truck is a very fair comparison...
Put heads and camc on a M.P. tuck and then re-do the comparison...
Anyay, Like I said, I have owned all three setups, and I was satisfied with my ported Eaton, really like my M.P., and Loved my K.B.
I just feel my truck will live longer @ 22 psi with the M.P. because it comes on "gentle"..
Anyway, all of you have fun spraying testosterone on articles you have read, and various things you have heard from others.
Meanwhile i will just sit here and comment on things I have owned first hand...
God, you people get testy....
L.

JJ@WMS

Banned
orange2004cobra said:
Everything veryone says here is bsedon their opinion..
Jesus, thats how we all learn here..
I have never seen a eaton truck runover 600H.P. @ the tire, i have seen a M.P. truck do it...
And asfar as apples to apples, I dont think a eaton truck with ported heads and cams compared to a M.P. truck is a very fair comparison...
Put heads and camc on a M.P. tuck and then re-do the comparison...
Anyay, Like I said, I have owned all three setups, and I was satisfied with my ported Eaton, really like my M.P., and Loved my K.B.
I just feel my truck will live longer @ 22 psi with the M.P. because it comes on "gentle"..
Anyway, all of you have fun spraying testosterone on articles you have read, and various things you have heard from others.
Meanwhile i will just sit here and comment on things I have owned first hand...
God, you people get testy....
L.

I am comparing apples to apples and MP, cammed, headed to Ported Eaton, cammed, headed to eachother and the results are the same.

The only difference between the MP and ported eaton is where the dyno sheets are coming from. Sal and Rob did a great comparison between the two and validated their results with data. I also validate my results with real world testing and tuning along with track time and so far, no stock block or built block truck has benefited from the MP enough over a ported eaton for me to say its worth the money. Most everyone that buys it does spend alot more money on pumps and injectors because of the boost needed to get power out of it, and that cost adds into the total price which nobody talks about. Most also buy it for the whine it makes and thats great.

Also, the boost isnt anymore gentle or less of a hit than the Eaton or KB, it just comes in later due to the inherent design of the blower, so the torque curve gets moved up a bit and so does the HP, but thats not a good thing with our heavy ass trucks, you want the tq down low to get it moving and thats why the Magnum pulls hard up top over the ported eaton, but gives up down low and thats why they are equal in my book.

BTW, I tuned that ported eaton L that went 11.19@121 to the tune of 548/630 on a mustang dyno, take roughly 15 percent to that for dynojet numbers and your well over 600 at the wheels. :rockon: :rockon:

JJ@WMS

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Like I said before, twice now, its all in the tune...
And as far as my comment on "gentle" I drive my truck everyday, and the MP is even more "gentle" down low than the Eaton, and far more so than the K.B.
Hell, when I bolted the MP on @ stock boost levels I got 40 over stock..
For 1600 bucks there great, and if you want to buy some injectors and spin it real hard, then I think they are awesome..
Cant I have my opinion like everyone else...?
I am more than satisfied with my Harley running 12.38 on stock Goodyears @ full weight, no traction adders, and on 93 octane with me @ a weight of 250lbs to boot...
And thats just my opinion.....
So, lets all get along now....
L.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread