MAFia Failures?

Dilley

Established Member
So I am somehow not yet pegged my stock maf with my steggy stage6 2.76 upper making 513rwhp but at WOT I do come quite close. I bought a diablo MAFia for the car but then got to talking to a reputable tuner and he had mentioned to me that he has had a few MAFia's fail on him while tuning and leaned the car out bad. Now my question is how many people have had their MAFias fail and how common is this?

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
I've had a MAFia on my car for the past 5 years with several different tunes and this has never happened to me.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I have one on my car but its not even turned on(bought the car this way and the ba3000 isnt even close to maxed). The way I see it though its like a Boost-a-pump and its a bandaid. I think they are a bad idea honestly.

Dilley

Established Member
I have one on my car but its not even turned on(bought the car this way and the ba3000 isnt even close to maxed). The way I see it though its like a Boost-a-pump and its a bandaid. I think they are a bad idea honestly.

haha I have a boost-a-pump

Dilley

Established Member
Out of curiosity what signs did you observe that indicated the MAFia failed?

I run a MAFia myself but my understanding is that a MAF failure doesn't trigger any lights on the gauge cluster.

I would imagine it would make the maf peg or just run as if there was no MAFia

Dilley

Established Member
Lol it's all personal opinion. A guys failed in a blown c6z over the weekend at a 3 day car show/cruise event and he was left putting around the whole time pissed off.

his boost-a-pump failed?

and i have the dual boost-a-pump on twin gt pumps

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Running Mafia's on both my Cobra's going on three years with no issues. Had a SCT on our Procharged GT and it leaned out after a few months. Go figure.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
Out of curiosity what signs did you observe that indicated the MAFia failed?

I run a MAFia myself but my understanding is that a MAF failure doesn't trigger any lights on the gauge cluster.

Out of no where car started misfiring at idle. I have wideband gauge looked at that and noticed it was running lean. The misfiring went away. But the A/F was all over the place. When it was misfiring the a/f went lean in 16.X's at idle. Than all of sudden it would start running rich A/F went in 10.X's. Data logged the car. Noticed that MAF counts would increase with rpms and suddenly drop from lets say 750 to 250 than go back to 750 again. Also threw check engine light. I can't remember the code but it was for rich and lean condition on bank 1. installed new mafia problem went away. Since than I have put 1800 miles on the cobra runs like a beast. A/F back to where it use to be. Maf counts are back to normal. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Out of no where car started misfiring at idle. I have wideband gauge looked at that and noticed it was running lean. The misfiring went away. But the A/F was all over the place. When it was misfiring the a/f went lean in 16.X's at idle. Than all of sudden it would start running rich A/F went in 10.X's. Data logged the car. Noticed that MAF counts would increase with rpms and suddenly drop from lets say 750 to 250 than go back to 750 again. Also threw check engine light. I can't remember the code but it was for rich and lean condition on bank 1. installed new mafia problem went away. Since than I have put 1800 miles on the cobra runs like a beast. A/F back to where it use to be. Maf counts are back to normal. Hope this helps

Thank you for going into detail. :beer: Will file that into the memory banks.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
i have had one on my car for 3 or 4 years now without any issues

This is the first I have heard of anyone having issues with a MAFia.:shrug:

In the past they have been widely know to be stone reliable, as most Boost-a-Pumps are as well.

Before my mafia failure I never heard of them failing either. But there is always a possibility a mechanical/electron parts can fail.

BTW I also have boost-a-pump on my cobra. Installed it at the same time I installed mafia. No issues with boost-a-pump to date.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Anything can fail but in general MAFia is pretty solid. I bought a used one and ran it for over 5 years. Changed combos and didn't need it but still have it as I'll be needing it again soon enough.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I would say they are just as reliable as a new MAF. Keep in mind though you are introducing a new part that can fail. Now instead of just a MAF you have a MAF and the Mafia.

Users who are viewing this thread