MAF and IAT question

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Took a look around and saw how, but not if I should. I have a 96 Cobra that I am redoing a few things. I am changing the stock injectors for my 03 cobra's old 39 lb. It has a pro charger P600b (10lb) tuner kit on it and I removed the FMU and slave chip and going to tune it myself. Now my question is, should I put my old 03 Cobra MAF in it? The only problem here I see is that if I use the 90mm, I will need a 4-3.5 reducer. Will this affect anything?

Also I am changing inlet of the charger to just a filter which means I will need to move the IAT. Can I just drill a hole, put in the grommet, and install sensor or will 9-10 psi blow it out. Intake to throttle body is plastic. Not really looking to get into a slot style at this point. Just using some old parts from my 03 to make the 96 better.

:beer:
Alex

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Took a look around and saw how, but not if I should. I have a 96 Cobra that I am redoing a few things. I am changing the stock injectors for my 03 cobra's old 39 lb. It has a pro charger P600b (10lb) tuner kit on it and I removed the FMU and slave chip and going to tune it myself. Now my question is, should I put my old 03 Cobra MAF in it? The only problem here I see is that if I use the 90mm, I will need a 4-3.5 reducer. Will this affect anything?
Shouldn't hurt anything. Good that you are junking the FMU.

Also I am changing inlet of the charger to just a filter which means I will need to move the IAT. Can I just drill a hole, put in the grommet, and install sensor or will 9-10 psi blow it out. Intake to throttle body is plastic. Not really looking to get into a slot style at this point. Just using some old parts from my 03 to make the 96 better.

:beer:
Alex
You absolutely want the IAT sensor after the blower so your PCM can see the air that's heated by the blower. I put a threaded IAT sensor in mine, so I don't know if yours would blow out of a grommet. Wouldn't surprise me if it did.

9-10 PSI seems a bit much on the stock bottom end to me, especially if you are not intercooled. You might want to consider an intercooler if you don't have one, or at least meth injection.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Shouldn't hurt anything. Good that you are junking the FMU.

You absolutely want the IAT sensor after the blower so your PCM can see the air that's heated by the blower. I put a threaded IAT sensor in mine, so I don't know if yours would blow out of a grommet. Wouldn't surprise me if it did.

9-10 PSI seems a bit much on the stock bottom end to me, especially if you are not intercooled. You might want to consider an intercooler if you don't have one, or at least meth injection.

Thanks for the reply, guess tuner kit was the wrong terminology as I do have an intercooler. I don't think the threads are going to help me screwing it in the thin plastic tubing unless that is the intake you have..

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I have a KB. I relocated my IAT to the intake manifold.

I don't know much about what comes with a Procharger kit. We'll have to wait for some Procharger owners to chime in about how to relocate your IAT sensor.

SVTPete83

Established Member
I have a vortech with the iat relocated post supercharger. I used a rubber grommet and it holds fine at 12 psi. Drew from Aed had the same grommet on his wife's car and it held at 20 psi. Rubber grommet has my vote. Easy and simple!

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
iat sensor should be fine if you do it right from the beginning. Alot of guys will take a metal elbow like the bbk or c&l and thread a lightning iat sensor into just in case. up to you and either should work. when you say 4" to 3.5" reducer- where are you talking about?

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I have a vortech with the iat relocated post supercharger. I used a rubber grommet and it holds fine at 12 psi. Drew from Aed had the same grommet on his wife's car and it held at 20 psi. Rubber grommet has my vote. Easy and simple!

Excellent thanks!

iat sensor should be fine if you do it right from the beginning. Alot of guys will take a metal elbow like the bbk or c&l and thread a lightning iat sensor into just in case. up to you and either should work. when you say 4" to 3.5" reducer- where are you talking about?

The outlet of the 90mm is 4" and the pipe that attaches to it is 3.5, so I will need a reducer. I guess I can use the factory 96 maf with a Mafia.

P600B user here on my 96. I relocated the IAT sensor and used a rubber grommet and I have had no issues with it blowing out under boost.

Excellent thanks! I am going to give this a go. :beer:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Excellent thanks!

The outlet of the 90mm is 4" and the pipe that attaches to it is 3.5, so I will need a reducer. I guess I can use the factory 96 maf with a Mafia.

Excellent thanks! I am going to give this a go. :beer:

It will be much easier tune wise to use a 03/04 maf.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I may have misunderstood your setup, but if you are running a reducer in front of the MAF, I'd recommend putting it as far in front of the MAF as possible.

For the MAF to work correctly, there must be laminar flow through the MAF. Laminar flow means no turbulence. So anything that can cause the air going through the MAF to be turbulent may screw up the reading from the sensor. That is why bends in the pipe right in front of the MAF is bad. It is also why backwash in the MAF is bad.

I suspect that a reducer immediately in front of a MAF might cause some turbulence (but might not). To be safe, I'd put it as far upstream as possible. If it is an enlarger (no spam jokes please) I suspect it will be ok even in front of the MAF.

Others may have different opinions or better yet experience. I'd be interested in hearing from them if they do.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Mark, not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Here is going to be the path in the blow through setup: pro charger, intercooler, lamar screen, maf, reducer 4-3.2 bend. intake tube, intake manifold.

Will the reducer AFTER the MAF (in terms of airflow) affect anything?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Mark, not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Here is going to be the path in the blow through setup: pro charger, intercooler, lamar screen, maf, reducer 4-3.2 bend. intake tube, intake manifold.

Will the reducer AFTER the MAF (in terms of airflow) affect anything?

Thanks for the summary. Putting the reducer after the MAF shouldn't cause turbulence in the MAF (unless it was a lot smaller than the one you plan to run).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread