Machine Shop bill came to $915...

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
What have you guys been paying for your machine work? I was expecting to be around $700 but when they handed me the quote of $915 I was a little shocked. I still had them do the work as I have used them in the past and always did a great job. They just charged extra for a few things. Here is a break down.

Balance Rotating Assembly $355
Bore and Hone $160
Adding the TQ plate for the bore and hone $116
Hone to 400 grit? I found out that it only needed to be a 320 grit and 22-24 degrees hone. $128
And then to degrease the block $96

Total with tax $914.85

Digital

Established Member
Good quality work is expensive. That's not a crazy high price but it is on the upper end. Did u get what u payed for? if so who cares?

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
sounds right... a buddy of mine paid ~800 for the work you described for a fully built SRT-4 motor... dont know how much extra work would be involved for a modular V8 motor build.

Zacharyx

Established Member
looks like they are expecting to need to add material to the crank for the balance, I normally pay $150 spin the crank and then pay for the mallory if need be, and $550 for the whole block prep( bore, hone, clearance for crank if need be, clean )

YoungJim

Established Member
sounds right... a buddy of mine paid ~800 for the work you described for a fully built SRT-4 motor... dont know how much extra work would be involved for a modular V8 motor build.

Mostly the same steps, just more repetitions? At a guess setting up each operation would be most of the work, more than doing it to each side/each throw on the crank.

Jim

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
balancing the rotating assembly alone costs 4 times your total amount if you want it done by the best of the best here in Europe :shrug:

Digital

Established Member
Location is going to be a big part of cost. That's why it's hard to say. When I lived in KC every was like 1/4 the price of miami. So it was all relative.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Someone finally bought plates? Cool!

Precision Machine, they claimed to have them the whole time.

They actually impressed me with their knowledge. Granted they are a machine shop but they went through and explained to be what they are going to be doing, and then as I was leaving they said "Will have you going fast in no time Steve." lol

They technically called them "Stress Plates" though.

Quick Strike

Established Member
My machining costs were $1080. I had what you had done plus square the deck, resize the rods with new ARP 2000 bolts, assemble the pistons on the rods, hone for mainstuds and balance the clutch plate to the balanced assebmly.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Bore and Hone $160
Hone to 400 grit? I found out that it only needed to be a 320 grit and 22-24 degrees hone. $128

Total with tax $914.85

Balancing seems a little high, i paid about 250.00
I have never been charged to add tq plates, it's always part of the bore and hone job.

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
What have you guys been paying for your machine work? I was expecting to be around $700 but when they handed me the quote of $915 I was a little shocked. I still had them do the work as I have used them in the past and always did a great job. They just charged extra for a few things. Here is a break down.

Bore and Hone $160

Total with tax $914.85

Seems fair, where is this machine shop??

Balancing seems a little high, i paid about 250.00
I have never been charged to add tq plates, it's always part of the bore and hone job.

Agree, that is a little spendy.

BTW,
What front splitter is that?? Who makes it?? Very nice!!!

stang910

Established Member
I was charged $500 for bore and hone with deck plates, balance rotating assembly, and hot tanked. Those prices were right in line with another machine shop here in my area.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Bore and Hone $160

Total with tax $914.85

mine,,
alinehoned $175
boss 50 blk just need hone $90
bal eng. $175 > no mallory M needed
resize factory rods $70
polish factory crank $30
nothing to clean block n/c

$2200 bucks on revised heads
plus 1400 for gaskets and studs ect. roughly final cost to come later in my build post

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread