Mach 1 upgrades. Best bang for your buck.

GRFox

Established Member
Ok, so I am going to look at a Mach today and if the car is as described I will most likely own my first Mod Motor Mustang by the end of the week.

I figure this will be a good thread for myself and any other future Mach owners.

What performance bolt ons will give you the best bang for your buck horsepower wise?

-Throttle Body

-Cold Air Intake

-MAF

-Headers

-Full Exhaust

-Cams

Feel free to go into detail on the best brands, sizes and models of the bolt ons you feel give you a good increase.

EDIT: If I am missing any good bolt on upgrades please feel free to ad them.

Last edited:

ModularKid'04

Established Member
IMO, intake, exhaust, gears, definitely a short throw shifter and some drag radials. Throttle bodies give you almost no gains aside from throttle response, a bigger MAF won't net you much either, and cams are kinda steep. For the price of cams, you're half way to forced induction. It's pretty much up to you as far as brands of parts. Mach's are a TON of fun, I've had mine for just over a year now and I've loved every minute of it. Good luck with the car :beer:

MachJoe

Established Member
I'm in the middle of modding mine and the 2 things I've noticed that made a big difference are gears and a tune.

Good luck!

GRFox

Established Member
Thanks so far guys.

The car is essentially stock trim right now, it has a Magnaflow catback x-pipe mgw short throw shifter and a diablosport tuner. Thats about it. My goals are to run the car in the 1/4 as it is and as I make upgrades see how the car progresses in the 1/4. Very excited if all goes through ok.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
I would spray up to a 125 shot. The pistons and rods are weak in our cars but people run 100 shots with tremendous luck for long periods of time. Also depends on how good your tune is.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
I'm in the middle of buying upgrades for mine right now. I just picked up a stage 2 clutch, 4.10 gears, Kooks LTs with O/R xpipe, 31 spline axle kit, and some pullies (still debating after reading about them on forums). I'm addicted!

Kcobra99

Established Member
Thanks so far guys.

The car is essentially stock trim right now, it has a Magnaflow catback x-pipe mgw short throw shifter and a diablosport tuner. Thats about it. My goals are to run the car in the 1/4 as it is and as I make upgrades see how the car progresses in the 1/4. Very excited if all goes through ok.

That's pretty much what mine has, with the additions of 4.10's and and a CAI.

If I were you, I'd do gears 1st, then look at LT headers with a custom dyno tune. You could toss a CAI in there whenever you like, they don't make much extra hp, but they don't cost a lot either.

After that it's time to look at cams and/or power adders...the costs go up from there.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
-Throttle Body
-Cold Air Intake
- MAF

All of the above will add no power but cost a lot, especially since the MAF would require a tune.

As far as power mods go, those that offer the best bang for the buck are:
-cams
-long tubes
-march 1158 damper
-large diameter water pump pulley
-large diameter hydraboost pulley

with the mods above your car would make 360-365rwhp and 335-340rwtq

The best bang for the buck suspension and driveline mods are:
-gears
-rear control arms

Last edited:

GRFox

Established Member
I'd agree. Thinking about going that route once I get some solid n/a times with bolt-ons and gears

All of the above will add no power but cost a lot, especially since the MAF would require a tune.

As far as power mods go, those that offer the best bang for the buck are:
-cams
-long tubes
-march 1158 damper

with the mods above your car would make 360-365rwhp and 335-340rwtq

The best bang for the buck suspension and driveline mods are:
-gears
-rear control arms

If I remember correctly I believe you make custom cams? If so, would they be a good N/A upgrade and work well with a blower or turbo in the further (after a built bottom end)?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
If I remember correctly I believe you make custom cams? If so, would they be a good N/A upgrade and work well with a blower or turbo in the further (after a built bottom end)?

The cams can be spec'd for anything you want.

GRFox

Established Member
-march 1158 damper

It may have been in reference to something else, but I thought I remembered a lot of talk about changing the factory damper or balancer causing huge internal engine damage over time?

GRFox

Established Member
UPDATE: I made an offer on a Azure Blue 03 Mach 1 with 50K Miles yesterday. Car felt pretty quick, but I wanst able to really get on it being the current owner was in the passenger seat.

Should be picking the car up later this week!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
It may have been in reference to something else, but I thought I remembered a lot of talk about changing the factory damper or balancer causing huge internal engine damage over time?

the old style balancers caused problems, the new style small diamter dampers dampen harmonics very well and are not known to cause problems.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
UPDATE: I made an offer on a Azure Blue 03 Mach 1 with 50K Miles yesterday. Car felt pretty quick, but I wanst able to really get on it being the current owner was in the passenger seat.

Should be picking the car up later this week!

You're gonna love it. Such a unique car! :beer::burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread