LPW "Pro Series" Differential Cover

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
211_8_8IRS_Cobra_Mustang_Super_Coupe_Rear_Differential_Cover_Girdle.png

Anyone pick one of these up yet? I think it's fairly new as it wasn't on the website the last time I checked.

LPW ULTRA Cobra Mustang & Camaro Independent Rear Suspension Support Cover, IRS Differential Cover, IRS Rear End Girdle

I think the only difference is the fact that it's powdercoated black and comes with all SS hardware, but hell I think it looks pretty sweet. Next time I have the IRS out of the car I'm gonna ditch my stock cover and BF brace that's for sure.

xfrosty63x

Established Member
I would have purchased this one if it would have been available when I picked up the regular version of their cover. I purchased SS ARP hardware separately from Summit, but it would have been nice to have had it all come together.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
That's a good looking piece! Looks like just gloss black powdercoat. If this were available I would have picked this one up when I swapped mine instead of the standard cover.

When I swapped my cover I got gasket maker on it that I wasn't able to remove and actually thought about having it powdercoated since it bugged me so much. I ended up deciding against it, as I already spent a good amount getting the IRS subframe and control arms powdercoated. This looks like a good option for those in the market who want one that looks better than their standard cover.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmmm I still have the regular one "new" in the box, wonder if AM stocks these new black ones and if I could do an exchange?

SlowSVT

Established Member
The pumpkin gets pretty hot. The powercoat won't conduct the heat to the air as well. I would buy the uncoated cover over a powder coated one.

cobracide

Established Member
The pumpkin gets pretty hot. The powercoat won't conduct the heat to the air as well. I would buy the uncoated cover over a powder coated one.

Harley powerdercoats their cylinders. Ten degrees or so isn't going to matter. I think it looks sharp.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Harley powerdercoats their cylinders. Ten degrees or so isn't going to matter. I think it looks sharp.

Not sure where you are getting this information from perhaps you can post it. Powder coat is a polymer coating that lays on the surface about .007 - .010 and is not as efficient at transferring the heat as the bare metal. When I design an electronic enclosure that's uses the chassis surface area to conduct heat away from the interior (which is always aluminum) the last thing I want to do is powder coat it. Even anodize creates a pours barrier between the substrate and the cooling air need to couple the heat. In that case I just iridite (chem film) the surface but bare aluminum is the best for transferring the heat (a coarse sand blasted or cast finish is even better and can double the surface area compared to a polished one).

If someone is more concerned with the appearance of the diff cover buried under the car that is their choice. The diff gets very hot and I am more concerned with heat build-up and want to maximize the heat transfer capability of the aluminum cover. The hotter it gets the greater the heat dissipation capacity will become.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
that looks pretty nice! nice to see they are offering more stuff

given the choice i think i would still go for the unpainted version again however

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I would be willing to bet that the added fluid capacity of the coated LPW would still make it superior to the stock unit for heat dissipation.

Honestly I think you are really overthinking this. I believe the uncoated one would dissipate heat more effectively but not enough to stop me from getting it. It comes with all necessary stainless steel hardware which is a first for any diff cover for these cars (even the Fore was missing the drain/fill plugs), and at least it won't crack open like an egg like the stocker.

There is a good bit of moving air around the differential unlike your electronic enclosure (unless it's outdoors). In that case I guess you would want the heat dissipation to be as good as possible to eliminate the need for forced air ventilation, but I don't think it's that critical for this application.

The only people that will run into extreme heat issues in the diff are people that open-track their cars and they should consider running diff fluid coolers. Todays synthetic fluids are much more tolerant of heat as well so I really don't think this is an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread