Lowering The 03 Cobra

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
7168548 said:
Cobra's springs are linear rate not progressive. You will not change dynamics of the spring but cutting a coil.

Wrong...if you just cut a coil and don't watch how it finishes at the end and allow it to just "end" at the wound pitch, it WILL be stiffer.

Shorter spring/less active coils = effectively stiffer spring. If you warm the end that you cut and lay it back down, you haven't changed the effective spring rate to speak of.

You are correct that the Cobra springs are linear rate.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
If the spring is a linear rate coil with constant wire diameter and outer coil diameter, then the spring rate increase will be proportional to the decrease in overall spring height. Meaning, you do not change the spring rate on a "linear" (not progressive) spring by just cutting it!

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
redfr03svtsnake said:
DEFINATELY cut the stockers. When you buy aftermarkets there is no doubt a much rougher ride, due to the springs being a little softer i believe or harder, whatever it is, i dont know. All i can say is we put some Eibach springs in my friends gt, TERRIBLE ride. Me and him cut our springs in our cobras.... him (3/4) me 1 full coil. He has 18s, i have 17s. I experience a little bottoming out but the simple solution, and common sense fix is to GO SLOW over BUMPS! Cheaper, and in my opinion MUCH better ride. The only thing i have noticed since mine is so low,(now for about 3 mos) the front tires are tucking in at the top, im going to need new caster camber plates or something i was told.

Dude, I have TOTALLY DISAGREE with you here bro......I have the H&R race on my car and she rides as nice as she did stock......I have to admit I was surprised because I expected the Flintstonemobile but the thing rides great.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Cut the stockers, I am, if you don't like how it looks or feels, then go buy some new ones. If your worried about ruining the springs, people are selling these things all day long in the market section for $80 shipped.

I personally am going to try and save the $500 (springs/caster cambers) for other mods, I've heard you'll have no alignment issues and the ride quality is the same. Cutting stockers = free mod.

YGETV8

Established Member
Not exactly "free" as you will need to get it realigned, but 'bout as close to free as you can get!

I'm just giving my first hand-long term experiences, not what I've heard or read... I have cut stockers and have NO plans of replacing them!

mustangsvtblack

Established Member
wow guys this thread has got me torn. I dont know what to do, i would love to save the money and use it elsewhere but i also don't want this to be something i regret.

wheelhopper

Established Member
There certianly is a lot of different opinions on springs. I recommend you call some of the top companies that make suspension components and have race sponsored cars to support their knowledge. Maximum Motorsports and Steeda are a couple of excellent examples.

By the way I have a '90 GT and '03 Cobra, both with H&R Super Sport springs.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
mustangsvtblack said:
im am planning on lowering my 03 cobra and was wondering what everyones take on it was. I was thinking about cutting 1 coil off all around, but if it sounds like it would be better to get springs i may. Let me know!!!

I cut 1 coil off all the way around and no regrets here...I love the way it looks and rides just fine. I rarely bottom out except over BIG speed bumps.

andrew025.jpg

andrew026.jpg

andrew027.jpg

andrew017.jpg

andrew022.jpg

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
Cutting off coils DOES increase the spring rate, period. Look at the formula - spring rate is inversely proportional to number of active coils. The only coils you can cut off without changing spring rate are dead coils, which I don't believe the stock springs have. If you're just going to cut 1 coil or so then it's not a big deal since most folks want a little more spring rate than stock to decrease body roll and improve handling. If you cut a bunch of coils off, that's when you're going to ruin the ride, kill weight transfer, and wear out your shocks in a hurry because it'll be way too stiff.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
People can disagree all that you want, but i have ridden in enough lowered cars, with aftermarket springs to say... i disagree with you redfire550..... the only thing that i see that has been effected is the cast/camber of the front tires.... they are getting a lil tucked in. I think you are the one that has gotten lucky with aftermarket springs. Like i, and everyone keeps saying.... only my opinion. Its like a-holes and elbows, everyone has one.........

Last edited:

RANDYRAMIREZ

[IMG]http://i26.photobuck
Established Member
CUT THE STOCKERS YOU WONT REGRET IT. I HAVENT. FREE MOD! I CUT 3/4 ALL AROUND AND LOVE IT. :coolman:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
redfr03svtsnake said:
People can disagree all that you want, but i have ridden in enough lowered cars, with aftermarket springs to say... i disagree with you redfire550..... the only thing that i see that has been effected is the cast/camber of the front tires.... they are getting a lil tucked in. I think you are the one that has gotten lucky with aftermarket springs. Like i, and everyone keeps saying.... only my opinion. Its like a-holes and elbows, everyone has one.........

While you are right about opinions I think engineering dynamics says that you are wrong about cutting springs. I have yet to see and AUTHORITATIVE source that says it is ok to cut your springs. If all you are doing is street driving and bench racing .. you will be ok with cutting springs but that does not make it either right or good for your car.

As someone who road races (well used to, havent done much since I have been in the sand box) I would NEVER used cut springs for my car. Automotive springs were not meant to be cut. yes it is a cheap way out ... but if you care enough to spend 30-40K on a car you should care enough to use stuff that is designed to do things right. Aftermarket springs are the way to go .. and they are not that much more expensive.

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I had Steeda springs on my old 03, and then moved to a set of coil-overs... It was one of the better decisions I made on the suspension of the car.

You can raise or lower the car to any height you want, they handle like a dream (with the right spring rates), and you'll lose some unnecessary weight these cars have....

Its a bit pricey, but its WORTH IT!!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
DKS2814V said:
I had Steeda springs on my old 03, and then moved to a set of coil-overs... It was one of the better decisions I made on the suspension of the car.

You can raise or lower the car to any height you want, they handle like a dream (with the right spring rates), and you'll lose some unnecessary weight these cars have....

+65,000 on this .... I have H&Rs in my 95 coil overs in the 04 ... I will be getting coil overs for the 95 when I get to the refurbish of the suspension.

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
[ I must not make enough money to own a Cobra 'cause I can't just piss money away!

You can ALWAYS buy aftermarket if you don't like the cut ones.[/QUOTE]
+1000 I'm with you! I work hard for my money, and I definitely would rather spend it where it pays off, power adders and making the whole thing stronger and more reliable.

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
DKS2814V said:

Whose coil over set up did you go with? Did you also change the K-member?

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
wheelhopper said:
There certianly is a lot of different opinions on springs. I recommend you call some of the top companies that make suspension components and have race sponsored cars to support their knowledge.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Right, call a company that makes their living selling suspension items, and ask if cutting a stock spring is as good as buying their stuff. Let me go out on a limb, and say I bet I know their answer without even picking up the phone. This is not a good way to check out this method of lowering your vehicle. You want a truely unbiased opinion, ask someone who build cars and races, but doesn't make their living from selling suspension components.

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
cobra04972tx1 said:
Whose coil over set up did you go with? Did you also change the K-member?

Maximum Motorsports

Lethal Performance has great prices on their stuff, so I bought everything I needed. (sans the K-member)

The good thing about the MM stuff, is you don't need to upgrade much. I think they recommend that you buy CC plates to strengthen the strut towers, but thats it. The rear shocks need to have a groove machined in them, if you don't buy them already grooved....FYI

In my kit, I opted to add a lower K-member brace, 375/600 spring rates and was eventually gonna pick up a rear strut tower brace (but sold the car).

Personally, the car looked killer, as low as I had it, and it handled better than any car I've driven (even being a 3600lb beast!).

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
When I was gonna order the H&R sport springs for my vert, Maxium Motorsports called me a few hours after I ordered and told me that the rear tends to not drop as much... he even sent me pics. The tech then told me if I couldn't afford coil-overs, that I should get the race springs... I love them. I had H&R Super Sports on my old Mach1 and I loved them too.

YGETV8

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, there are even a few aftermarket spring companies that TELL you to cut their springs if you're not happy with the amount of drop?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread