Lowering The 03 Cobra

mustangsvtblack

Established Member
im am planning on lowering my 03 cobra and was wondering what everyones take on it was. I was thinking about cutting 1 coil off all around, but if it sounds like it would be better to get springs i may. Let me know!!!

vetbait

I am very pleased with orginal Kenny Brown springs and plates..I understand not to go more than additional 3/4"
Car handles and rides very well.

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
if you cut 1 coil off all the way around the car it will not sit right. it will be higher in the front than in the rear. Because there are more coils on the front spings. I have cut some springs on GTs before I think I cut 3/4 of a coil in the rear and 1 1/2 coils in the front. Can't really remember though. just remember when cutting you can take off but you can't put back. take alittle off at a time and measure how much it drops the car. keep this in mind too cutting the springs will really screw up the weight transfer of your car. You will get no traction what so ever. And by cutting the springs it will ride alittle rough but if you don't take the car on any long trips, you may steer clear of permanent BACK problems. My advice is buy springs you will be happier in the long run.

YGETV8

Established Member
Do a search on cut springs. The nay-sayers must not have ever ridden in a Cobra with cut stock springs 'cause I love mine and saved a couple hundred bucks!

mustangsvtblack

Established Member
is it true about the weight trasfer thing cuz i dont want to hurt my launch any, and actually i was only going to go 3/4 in the rear and 1 in the front

Bullitt4110

Established Member
From what I have read the stock cobra springs are a progressive rate spring. So that means cutting them will not effect the spring rate like it would on a specific rate spring. Lots of people have done it and love it. Mine came with H&R springs on it so I never had the stock springs.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
Sports are lower & softer, Race sit a little higher & are firmer. Don't worry about launching, I have the Sports & I launch just fine, consistent 1.7X 60' times.
Like everyone said, don't be cheap!

Established Member
Just like YgetV8 said, I've had mine cut for over 2 years without a single problem. Still rides perfect and mines a daily driver. I say be cheap and cut em. If you dont like the way they are just buy some H&R's. If you end up liking em which I'm almost positive you will, you just saved yourself a couple hundred bucks. Good luck.

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
keep this in mind too. if you cut the spring it does not sit flat on surface anymore. If you ever jack the car up to work on it, the springs may fall out on you. I have had it happen on my old 02GT I used to have. You may like the springs at first. I did for over a year but they will get to you eventually. do yourself a favor buy some springs. the word cheap and cobra do not go hand in hand. I am with redfire550hp on this one.

YGETV8

Established Member
Have had my car up in the air dozens of times since cutting without a problem. Anybody that doubts cutting the stockers can ship them to me with a check for $250, I'll cut them and send them back, you'll love them, and you won't have to feel "cheap!" I must not make enough money to own a Cobra 'cause I can't just piss money away!

You can ALWAYS buy aftermarket if you don't like the cut ones.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
DEFINATELY cut the stockers. When you buy aftermarkets there is no doubt a much rougher ride, due to the springs being a little softer i believe or harder, whatever it is, i dont know. All i can say is we put some Eibach springs in my friends gt, TERRIBLE ride. Me and him cut our springs in our cobras.... him (3/4) me 1 full coil. He has 18s, i have 17s. I experience a little bottoming out but the simple solution, and common sense fix is to GO SLOW over BUMPS! Cheaper, and in my opinion MUCH better ride. The only thing i have noticed since mine is so low,(now for about 3 mos) the front tires are tucking in at the top, im going to need new caster camber plates or something i was told.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Cutting the stock springs is NOT a good idea. there are lots of idiots that do it but you change the dynamics of the spring when you cut them, they do not perform in the same way and you change the rate on them as well. I don't know all the engineering aspects of it but I do remember being told by people who have been in the Cobra arena a very long time that cutting the original springs was a bad idea.

Just because you have cut your springs and have not had any issues yet does not make it a good idea .. it means you have been lucky, nothing more. As others have said .. don't be cheap ... get replacement lowering springs that have not been modified. I have H&R springs on my 95 and Maximum Motorsports coilovers on my 04. I would recommend the coil overs since you can adjust your ride height with them from under the car

Established Member
RDJ said:
Cutting the stock springs is NOT a good idea. there are lots of idiots that do it but you change the dynamics of the spring when you cut them, they do not perform in the same way and you change the rate on them as well. I don't know all the engineering aspects of it but I do remember being told by people who have been in the Cobra arena a very long time that cutting the original springs was a bad idea.

Just because you have cut your springs and have not had any issues yet does not make it a good idea .. it means you have been lucky, nothing more. As others have said .. don't be cheap ... get replacement lowering springs that have not been modified. I have H&R springs on my 95 and Maximum Motorsports coilovers on my 04. I would recommend the coil overs since you can adjust your ride height with them from under the car

Cobra's springs are linear rate not progressive. You will not change dynamics of the spring but cutting a coil.

Users who are viewing this thread