Lower pulley removal

Marvin9075

Established Member
Hey all trying to remove the lower crank pulley from the car . I am aware it is reverse thread so no issue there … I have tried a breaker bark with a 4ft piece of pipe to brake it lose with no luck. I tried having someone pull on the breaker bar while smacking it with a large hammer and it hasn’t moved. Car is on the ground in 6th gear with the e brake all the up as it can go . Any tips or suggestions ? Would spraying it with pb blaster and sitting over night help ?

SLO_SHO

Established Member
I had to use the breaker bar with an extension and car jack trick. Worked like a charm, after wrestling it for a couple hours trying to avoid having to use that method. Made a loud noise so be prepared, but nothing should be harmed.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

SLO_SHO

Established Member
I also did heat it up with a torch for a few minutes prior to trying.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
to me this is probably the most difficult part of working on a terminator. no matter how many times i've done it or how many times it's been off the car before, it's like pulling teeth.

i use the otc flywheel locking tool at the starter, a 3/4" breaker, and the jack method. i've never used heat but probably should. there's always a VERY loud pop, and i'm never sure whether it came loose in a good way or something else broke lol.

ps - i will add though that removing it from the car is actually much easier believe it or not than trying to disassemble its tribar to replace the rubber bushings. still have had no luck with that.

jwcobra03

Established Member
Have someone use a breaker bar and apply steady pressure on the lower, then whack the tri-bar in the correct direction. It'll break free. The sudden jolt with pressure applied does the trick.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I used an 18" breaker bar and my 3 ton jack the last time I pulled my lower. I swore I was going to break something. My son was in the car and jumped when it broke loose.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
I've never thought about using a jack to break something loose. Is it as terrifying as it looks?

Subscribe to my onlyfans

hotcobra03

Established Member
For me. I use bar thru drive shaft transmission yoke .
Locks up the back side as best you can without the proper flywheel locking tool.

2ft breaker bar should be enough but may need help with 4ft pipe,

I loosen from under car , with front lifted enough to sit and use my foot and leg strength to push bar towards passenger side ..

Marvin9075

Established Member
For me. I use bar thru drive shaft transmission yoke .
Locks up the back side as best you can without the proper flywheel locking tool.

2ft breaker bar should be enough but may need help with 4ft pipe,

I loosen from under car , with front lifted enough to sit and use my foot and leg strength to push bar towards passenger side ..
Used this method and worked great … even though the car was in 6th and emergency break was in the drive shaft was still slightly moving … got a small pry bar in there and it popped right out with using the jack.
IMG_4762.jpeg

hotcobra03

Established Member
Used this method and worked great … even though the car was in 6th and emergency break was in the drive shaft was still slightly moving … got a small pry bar in there and it popped right out with using the jack. View attachment 1828016
Glad it's off,,

Funny installation with just a little tight with than starting engine this thing is just as hard to break loose if you had tried to remove it again.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not horrible. I've done worse. Go slow, keep an eye on things, and make sure to stay out of the path of possible flying parts.
:eek: I had this picture of shrapnel flying through the air. LOL. It definitely is usually a harrowing job. But not impossible. And this is why back in the day about 90% of Terminator owners left the lower alone and went with smaller uppers.

01yellercobra

Established Member
:eek: I had this picture of shrapnel flying through the air. LOL. It definitely is usually a harrowing job. But not impossible. And this is why back in the day about 90% of Terminator owners left the lower alone and went with smaller uppers.
One of the local guys broke his breaker bar trying to get a lower off a car recently. That's what I was thinking of as I typed that.

He was just using the wrench.

efnfast

Established Member
Glad it's off,,

Funny installation with just a little tight with than starting engine this thing is just as hard to break loose if you had tried to remove it again.

I once removed it, changed the inner belt, routed the inner belt wrong; started it up and the belt shredded within 5 seconds.

So I figured, oh well, at least the removal would be easy since the engine only ran for like 5 seconds. Nope .... that damn bolt was just as difficult as when the engine had 10 years of run-time. Stupid reverse-thread bolt, grrrrr.

Users who are viewing this thread