Low RPM (1500 to 1900) Surge/Misfire Finally Fixed!

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by 1CEBITN
Glad that fixed your problem, I hope it doesn't come back. Just so you know, the re-flash from Ford for the stall will also fix the low rpm surge, especially if you get it on cold mornings. The re-flash fixed my low rpm surge. On a new car, you shouldn't have to clean the MAF, especially if you only have 10k miles...
That is good info BTW to people who remain stock or close to stock as I did have the stall issue earlier on maybe around 3000 miles. I WOULDVE GOT THE RE-FLASH FROM FORD but my car is modded to the balls. Look at the signature. lol

Dom

Last edited:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I have over 2000k miles on my car since I did this, and I havent felt the surge AT ALL since. THe car also idles a lot smoother. I have tried this on two cars before I did this tech article to insure that this is a 95% fix for MOST cars that have the low idle bucking issue.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Originally posted by 1CEBITN
Glad that fixed your problem, I hope it doesn't come back. Just so you know, the re-flash from Ford for the stall will also fix the low rpm surge, especially if you get it on cold mornings. The re-flash fixed my low rpm surge. On a new car, you shouldn't have to clean the MAF, especially if you only have 10k miles...

The only problem is anyone who is flashed or chipped, you cant go to ford for the flash. Also, this low idle surge seems to be more with the pullied cars vs the stock ones.

Jpjr

Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
The only problem is anyone who is flashed or chipped, you cant go to ford for the flash. Also, this low idle surge seems to be more with the pullied cars vs the stock ones.

Your solution is to go to a non-svt dealer. They don't know the mods, all you have to do is refer them to the TSB and make something up like you just moved and want them to be 'your' dealer. I did that, and they did exactly what I asked.. just reflashed with no questions.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Re: Re: nice write up dom....clock that meter like stock also

Originally posted by Dominick32
thanks for the advice hermann,
I actuallly didnt even remember to do this after we finished. Ill turn it back today.

Dom

Is that the FIPK you have installed? If so, the radiator bolt that connects to the heat shield forces you to seat the MAF in the right position. Why aren't you using the heat shield?

On edit, I just read your sig and noticed you just have a K&N 12" filter. ;-)

Last edited:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Originally posted by Jpjr
Your solution is to go to a non-svt dealer. They don't know the mods, all you have to do is refer them to the TSB and make something up like you just moved and want them to be 'your' dealer. I did that, and they did exactly what I asked.. just reflashed with no questions.

Oh this I understand, but why flash tune your car for the stall once its been flash tuned by your tuner? Im not understanding that. That will return your computer back to stock. I need that extra fuel! lol

Dominick32

BANNED
Re: Re: Re: nice write up dom....clock that meter like stock also

Originally posted by SilverCobra04
Is that the FIPK you have installed? If so, the radiator bolt that connects to the heat shield forces you to seat the MAF in the right position. Why aren't you using the heat shield? ;-)
It is not the FIPK.
Look at the first pic in the article.
I AM using the heat shield.

And this is not any CAI kit. It is a simple K&N Open Element Filter bolted on to the MAF with a $5 maf adaptor. Simple enough right?
I spent a total of $60 for an intake.

Dom

Dominick32

BANNED
BTW- I also agree with Mike about not changing the MAF positioning from 12 oclock to 10 oclock without tuning the car again. We have seen these cars fluctuate A/F's drastically with simple changes like that. I added a disclaimer to the article by step 6.

Dom

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by coleman
Just bought the CRC cleaner today...
I'll clean the MAF tomorrow :thumbsup:
Did you clean it yet? hehe
Im very interested in your results as you would be the fourth person to be a success.

Boosted 03

Established Member
I just cleaned The MAF with the CRC electro-motive cleaner. I'm waiting for the K&N to get done drying so I can re-oil it. I also noticed that my MAF was in the 1:00 position. I will turn it back to the 10:00 position to align the IAT and air sensor when I re-install the set-up. Just a side note, the can of CRC cleaner directly says not to get on any type of plastic. The MAF is a composite style plastic. I put a towel in the MAF without physically touching the sensor before spraying. Also, be carefull when spraying the wire because the can has some serious pressure. The cleaner sprayed up on face, luckily I wear glasses. I was always under the notion that messing with the MAF was a no, no. We'll see, I'll be the Guinee pig on this one.

:beer:

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by Boosted 03
I just cleaned The MAF with the CRC electro-motive cleaner. I'm waiting for the K&N to get done drying so I can re-oil it. I also noticed that my MAF was in the 1:00 position. I will turn it back to the 10:00 position to align the IAT and air sensor when I re-install the set-up. Just a side note, the can of CRC cleaner directly says not to get on any type of plastic. The MAF is a composite style plastic. I put a towel in the MAF without physically touching the sensor before spraying. Also, be carefull when spraying the wire because the can has some serious pressure. The cleaner sprayed up on face, luckily I wear glasses. I was always under the notion that messing with the MAF was a no, no. We'll see, I'll be the Guinee pig on this one.

Good points. Thanks for sharing.
Definitely let us know the results.
BTW- You would be the 5th guinea pig so far. hehe

And, me, mike, and alex have had great results thus far.

Dom

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Originally posted by Boosted 03

AHH! Dude thats the wrong spray! CRC QD ELECTRONIC CLEANER!!!, not the lectra motive one! I use CRC Lectra motive on cleaning really dirty parts! That stuff is strong. I hope nothing happened to the MAF wires. But they sure as hell will be clean!

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by yeasure
I had this problem but my IAT was burnt up.....lmao
I'll post pics this weekend(not saying this is the problem, just the problem i had and what fixed mine).

definitely post pics and explain.
im interested.

Dom

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Dominick32, just in case you don't see it, look above your last post for the pic.
IAT = "Intake Air Temp" sensor
My cobra did the samething after my upper pully/tune, never knew what was happening until i checked the IAT and blam thats what caused mine.
Now i havn't had any problems with mine since but this doesn't mean it's the same problem/problem area as everyone else.
Just check your IAT to make sure then go from there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread