Low RPM (1500 to 1900) Surge/Misfire Finally Fixed!

Dominick32

BANNED
This might have been posted already but I know many of you including myself have been having a weird surge almost like a misfire at part throttle in the RPM range from 1400 to 1900.

This started @ around 500 miles for me after the CAI and Pulley swap. I had dealt with it for a long time looking for solutions everywhere. Changed the plugs, had it tuned in various fashions, tested every nook and cranny. Couldnt find anything wrong with her.

Recently two of my friends with the same problem (USERNAMES: stangfreak and Mike79 on SVTP) both guaranteed me they found a solution to this. Please note Ive been driving with this annoyance for the last 10,000 miles. So, you can say I was somewhat interested.

I went over Stangfreaks house last Saturday and let these two guys take my intake off up to the MAF and work their magic. The full article is posted here:
Just click this link and select Cleaning the MAF/Low RPM Surge Fix

Read the article and let me know what you think.

Guys. I was in AWE after I drove the car again, it felt completely smooth like it just came out of the factory. 9500 Miles later and my part throttle miss is finally gone.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I hope this problem wasnt already solved in the past. If so, im sorry but the search feature is disabled. lol

I am just real excited right now guys!
READ UP!!!

Dom

Last edited:

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by Painter
Thanks dominick for the great tips bud!! I will try the MAF cleaner next week for my surge!

Ray

I am almost 100% positive this will be your FIX!
I was skeptical in the beginning also but she really feels like a completely different car now. Its a night and day difference.

Dom

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
It works guys. Trust me. Just make sure you use the right cleaner, and dont touch the wires with ANYTHING but the cleaner!!!!!!

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't mean to rob the thread but my 01 GT has been having this problem for the last year except it does it at 1800-2000 rpms. And only when light throttle is applied and held at those rpms. At WOT it doesn't do it. In fact my GT has been with a local trusted Ford tech and he and I have checked everything, vaccuum leaks, Coils, Plugs, injectors, O2 sensors. It also keeps throwing 02 sensor codes bank 2 sensor 1 slow to respond code. We have done absolutely everything to remedy this except clean the MAF meter which was my next step.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Originally posted by 4.6modular
I don't mean to rob the thread but my 01 GT has been having this problem for the last year except it does it at 1800-2000 rpms. And only when light throttle is applied and held at those rpms. At WOT it doesn't do it. In fact my GT has been with a local trusted Ford tech and he and I have checked everything, vaccuum leaks, Coils, Plugs, injectors, O2 sensors. It also keeps throwing 02 sensor codes bank 2 sensor 1 slow to respond code. We have done absolutely everything to remedy this except clean the MAF meter which was my next step.

It will work also on any car. YOu are correct. While driving at low rpms, at a constant throttle, not going WOT, this will fix the issue. I know that other cars besides the 03-04's have this issue, and it will work just as well. Good luck with it bro!

hmwave

Established Member
I sprayed the MAF last week with the recommended cleaner and the low speed stumble is better but sometimes still there.

But, I didn't disconnect the battery. I'll try this again and report.

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by hmwave
I sprayed the MAF last week with the recommended cleaner and the low speed stumble is better but sometimes still there.

But, I didn't disconnect the battery. I'll try this again and report.

Did you clean the air filter also?
I did a few things:

1. Disconnected the battery
2. Cleaned the MAF
3. Cleaned the air filter and re-applied fresh oil
4. Let everything dry and re-installed
5. Let the car idle for 10 minutes
6. Drove it soft for 20 minutes to 1/2 hour.

That was that.
Its been completely gone ever since.

Dom

Last edited:

Dominick32

BANNED
Also, what cleaner did you use?
Preferrably QD Eletrical Spray for its extremely sensitive cleaning solution. Anything a tad bit stronger could be detrimental to the MAF and possibly damage it.

Dom

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
nice write up dom....clock that meter like stock also

has a big effect on the mass air transfer function...align it to line up with the sensor in the air tube so they point the same direction at the top...yours is pointing towards 12'oclock, point it so it's approx. 10'oclock, hermann:thumbsup:

mosconiac

Established Member
Dom: How many miles have you put on the car since resetting the computer? I've reset the computer a number of times and each time the "misfire" would go away for 50-100 miles...but it would return EVERY time.

I hope you are right that this solves the problem, but I thought even those with the OEM paper filter experience the "misfire".

Hermann: Should the MAF plug be at 12 o'clock like in the photos?

Last edited:

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by mosconiac
Dom: How many miles have you put on the car since resetting the computer? I've reset the computer a number of times and each time the "misfire" would go away for 50-100 miles...but it would return EVERY time.

I hope you are right that this solves the problem, but I thought even those with the OEM paper filter experience the "misfire".

Hermann: Should the MAF plug be at 12 o'clock like in the photos?

Well.
I already filled a tank of gas and probably got a good 220 miles out of her after the fix. Mike79 and Stangfreak have 100's of miles on their cars after the fix with no problem whatsoever.

And as far as the OEM-Paper filter cobras experiencing the miss, I would believe it also. Remember, its about a dirty MAF and mods really shouldnt make a difference here. It still is a good idea to clean the MAF, and see if this solved your problem also. It only takes 30 minutes, its worth a shot.
Good Luck!
Dom

Last edited:

Dominick32

BANNED
Re: nice write up dom....clock that meter like stock also

Originally posted by hpbyhermann
has a big effect on the mass air transfer function...align it to line up with the sensor in the air tube so they point the same direction at the top...yours is pointing towards 12'oclock, point it so it's approx. 10'oclock, hermann:thumbsup:

thanks for the advice hermann,
I actuallly didnt even remember to do this after we finished. Ill turn it back today.

Dom

Last edited:

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Great thread Dom, I personally dont have any surge/misfire issues now but when the time comes to clean my filter, I will refer back to this thread. Also, my MAF is sitting around the 10 o'clock position as Hermann mentioned. I've heard of some people having the "stall issue" with it set differently, could be something else causing that like the tune, but my MAF will stay at 10 o'clock...:beer:

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by Hissssnsvt
Great thread Dom, I personally dont have any surge/misfire issues now but when the time comes to clean my filter, I will refer back to this thread. Also, my MAF is sitting around the 10 o'clock position as Hermann mentioned. I've heard of some people having the "stall issue" with it set differently, could be something else causing that like the tune, but my MAF will stay at 10 o'clock...:beer:

Thanks man.
I am actually going to include what Hermann said about the MAF positioning right now in the article as it shouldve been mentioned.
And remember, its more importantly the MAF that required cleaning, not so much the air filter.

Dom

Dominick32

BANNED
I adjusted and updated the article as of 12:18pm today and gave Hermann his credit.
Thanks Hermann! :beer:

Dom

Last edited:

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
Glad that fixed your problem, I hope it doesn't come back. Just so you know, the re-flash from Ford for the stall will also fix the low rpm surge, especially if you get it on cold mornings. The re-flash fixed my low rpm surge. On a new car, you shouldn't have to clean the MAF, especially if you only have 10k miles...

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by 1CEBITN
Glad that fixed your problem, I hope it doesn't come back. Just so you know, the re-flash from Ford for the stall will also fix the low rpm surge, especially if you get it on cold mornings. The re-flash fixed my low rpm surge. On a new car, you shouldn't have to clean the MAF, especially if you only have 10k miles...

Well, it worked on three 03 cobras within the last 2 months that all had around 10,000 miles. So, I would assume this is a "Fix"

Dom

Users who are viewing this thread