Low HP Cobra, or more Break in needed? Opinions wanted

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Guys,

I am getting concerned about my car. It feels really, really fast, but others are claiming to have traction issues, and I don't. In first gear, from a roll, it WILL NOT spin my tires. Ever. At all. Period. Second chirps, but that's about all. Third is very sedate. Note that I do not power shift. My concern is that if others are having a hard time getting it to hook up, perhaps my HP/TQ is low. Or maybe it just isn't broken in enough. I have driven it for 4 days now, and put ~700 miles on it. I have varied the RPMs a lot, but a lot of the driving was in prolonged stints (not quick runs to the store, more like 80 mile runs to the dealer). So, anyone have any opinions? Maybe NC's roads are stickier? I am grasping at straws here :cryying:

Gatorac

Established Member
These F1's are some sweet tires. I almost never break the tires loose. It's kind of how I drive I guess. Line up next to someone to race and it's a different story.:lol: The adrenalin can get to ya.

Take her up to 3500rpm and give it plenty of clutch and see what happens. :rolling: Turn the TC off of course.

kom

Established Member
Do you have traction control turned on or off? With it on I get some wheel spin in 1st, good chirp in 2nd, and slight chirp in 3rd all when shifting at about 6000 to 6400. Now with traction control off - a slight roll and punch it will yield a cloud of smoke. I never did a shift into second while doing a burnout.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Mine just passed 750 miles, and it's getting stronger all the time. I don't WANT to lose traction, and at first, it wouldn't. But now if I goose it in first or second, it will break loose. A lot depends on the road surface. If you're on smooth concrete or dusty surface, it's easy to spin the wheels; if you're on warm asphalt, it's not so easy. Mine really comes on like a freight train from 4,000 rpm up, I have to be really careful not to get on it on a curved highway entrance ramp, 'cause it'll break loose then!

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Gatorac
These F1's are some sweet tires. I almost never break the tires loose. It's kind of how I drive I guess. Line up next to someone to race and it's a different story.:lol: The adrenalin can get to ya.

Take her up to 3500rpm and give it plenty of clutch and see what happens. :rolling: Turn the TC off of course.

Oh it WILL do a burnout, that is for sure (had lotsa fun with that last night). But some of the guys are saying that if they just punch it while driving along, it gets sidways. Not mine. Just moves forward (which is what it's supposed to do, but if I have better traction because of less HP/TQ....) :??:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by kom
Do you have traction control turned on or off? With it on I get some wheel spin in 1st, good chirp in 2nd, and slight chirp in 3rd all when shifting at about 6000 to 6400. Now with traction control off - a slight roll and punch it will yield a cloud of smoke. I never did a shift into second while doing a burnout.

Kom,

TC is off. It never spins in first unless I TRY to do a bunout. Chirps a bit in second (but no more than the A4 vette did), and nothing in third...:shrug: Sounds like your car is where I expected mine to be. What is the temp where you are? And has your car been doing this (spinning like mad) since you got it?

Thanks

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by harry gilbert
Mine just passed 750 miles, and it's getting stronger all the time. I don't WANT to lose traction, and at first, it wouldn't. But now if I goose it in first or second, it will break loose. A lot depends on the road surface. If you're on smooth concrete or dusty surface, it's easy to spin the wheels; if you're on warm asphalt, it's not so easy. Mine really comes on like a freight train from 4,000 rpm up, I have to be really careful not to get on it on a curved highway entrance ramp, 'cause it'll break loose then!

Harry,

I haven't really noticed ANY difference in the car between 4 miles (where it was when I bought it) and now. :shrug: It doesn't get sideways at all, unless I do a burnout. :(

jtfx6552

Established Member
I think we need to add this to a FAQ or somehting. The back ends of these cars are pretty well planted and they do not do "easy excessive wheelspin", this is a good thing.

Add a pulley and chip and things change, though...
JT

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
I think we need to add this to a FAQ or somehting. The back ends of these cars are pretty well planted and they do not do "easy excessive wheelspin", this is a good thing.

Add a pulley and chip and things change, though...
JT

I agree completely, I don't WANT wheelspin, it just wastes money and HP, but if these cars normally have enough HP to break loose at will, then I want to know why mine doesn't....See what I mean? :thumbsup:

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Take the car to a Dyno ,That is what will give you piece of mind..If you want wheel spin??Put 45lbs air in the rear tires..:??:

Jim V.

1qwkpny

Established Member
Your lackluster performance is more than likely caused by clogged catalytic converters which has been identified as the numero uno plague of these fine automobiles. My suggestion is simply purchase an off road pipe or if emmissions are a concern a High flow pipe. Different mufflers are also another big restriction in these cars as they are more restrictive than standard GT muffs b/c of the added supercharger noise.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Let it break in more,,,mine did the same thing til about 2000 miles then it just pulls like a rocket. You really need to open up your intake and exhaust too

ho779

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
Guys,

I am getting concerned about my car. It feels really, really fast, but others are claiming to have traction issues, and I don't. In first gear, from a roll, it WILL NOT spin my tires. Ever. At all. Period. Second chirps, but that's about all. Third is very sedate. Note that I do not power shift. My concern is that if others are having a hard time getting it to hook up, perhaps my HP/TQ is low. Or maybe it just isn't broken in enough. I have driven it for 4 days now, and put ~700 miles on it. I have varied the RPMs a lot, but a lot of the driving was in prolonged stints (not quick runs to the store, more like 80 mile runs to the dealer). So, anyone have any opinions? Maybe NC's roads are stickier? I am grasping at straws here :cryying:

mine is the same way

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Thanks to everyone for thier posts. I think I will let it break in more, but I am going to run it in about 3 weeks down at Desoto Dragstrip in FL while I am visiting my brother. That should tell me something. I ran some 0-60 runs tonight using a stopwatch, and it seems like I am running about 5 Seconds (that's probably a bit off, as anyone who's done it knows it's a REAL pain to time yourself). The car should really be capable of 4.3, but we'll see. Again, the dragstrip will tell :-D BTW, Exhaust is DEFINITELY on the priority list, right after the K&N. Just got to scrape the $$ together...

Mowgli

Established Member
Hmm, something might be up. Because in the heat of summer I could break the tires loose just from punching it in 1st from a roll anywhere from 3000 rpm or above. Probably even below that.

And my car *only* dyno'd 356.9rwhp. Of course that was in 92 degree heat in a hot parking lot with 78% humidity. But still, it wasn't a factory freak or nothing. I consider it mid range for the 03 cobra's and like I said, I break them loose at will. In second even as its getting cooler out.

Hmm.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Bring it to the dyno to allay your fears. My car layed down 390rwhp and my car doesnt break loose when when I punch it in first.

Aharon

Established Member
My car dyno'd at 361 rwhp, 352 rwtq stock... In a shop that was over 100F due to no AC in the shop..

Anyway, my car couldnt break the rear end loose, or chirp 2nd.. But, I got decent dyno numbers for a stock car in a hot shop.

stamper01L

Established Member
I havent dyno'd my car at all, but if i am at a 20 mph roll in first and hit it, i will spin a lot. When i shift to second i just get a chirp. It will pretty much spin at any speed in first gear from punching it, unless i bog it a bit though.

Users who are viewing this thread